mtbr member

Cooper Lake Oops

Rode up the 4wd road to cooper lake that starts at mile 49.5 in cooper landing today. Really nice sustained climb for the first mile and half to the gate. Much steeper than crescent and not technical so very rideable.

The gate was wide open when i got up there and the sign said 'no motorized vehicles' so i kept going. Steep climb continued for about a half mile after the gate then it was rolling, really fast and really fun double track. Saw a white truck coming down - ah, that's why the gate was open - and pulled over to let it go by. Chugach electric on the side. Driver rolled down his window and asked if there was anybody behind me. I said nope and he said that's all i needed to know. He drove down and i kept going up. Couldn't believe how amazing the ride was and no bike tracks! How come no one rides this?

At one point - where the creek comes down off cecil rhode - they'd brought in a loader to clear a slide and the snow was 10 feet deep on both sides of the road with the creek running under it. Cool stuff. Made it to the dam at the end of cooper lake (maybe 4.5 miles in?), amazing views, and decided this was my new go-to ride.

Cruised back down and the gate was closed. Now that it was swung shut i could see the 'chugach electric no trespassing violators will be prosecuted' sign. Oops! Too bad. Such a great ride and the driver of the truck was totally cool, never said i was trespassing or anything. I wonder if it might be possible to get access permission for mt. bikers? Anybody else ever been up to that end of the lake? Looks like the only other way would be on the stetson creek trail. Might have to try that sometime soon...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes it is a very nice ride. I have ran into Chugach employees a # of times and they have always been nice, I think they have had some issues with people vandilizing there equipment at the dam recently though. I would hate to be the violator that was prosecuted!

mtbr member
    yeah, i'm thinking it's a liability thing. they put the sign up and they're covered. but maybe that means we can ride it and - gasp - take responsibility for our own actions. like if we fall down and get hurt we won't blame/sue them. maybe?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Chugach Electric is required to keep the dam access road open to non-motorized use as a condition of the 2007 FERC hydro license. The road from the gate in is on federal land (Chugach NF) so its management is also subject to a USFS special use authorization. The reason access is currently closed is that CEA is starting work on the Stetson Creek bypass. The road will re-open once construction is completed (two years?).

Too bad CEA didn't include any of this info on the sign it placed on the gate . . .

mtbr member
    excellent info, laskan. thanks. two years sorta sucks though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the stetson crreek, cooper lake loop is a hell of a loop. did it back in the early 90's. lots of bushwacking coming in from stetson.

I also carried my bike to the top of cecil roahde and road it down. another heck of a ride.
    good stuff in there wish i never left cooper landing.