Thread: Cool Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool Ride

I rode from East End Road inHomer following snow machine trails and seismic lines to Caribou Lake and then over to Ninilchik, crossed the road and then followed the beach of Cook Inlet back to Homer.
    Wife, Kathy and our 2 dogs rode out to welcome me home and ride the last 6 miles of beach.

I only did about 75 miles after a 70 mph wind storm blew in the trail I wanted to take, but there are loops of up to 300 miles. What a great way to combine my two favorite types of trails.

Congrats to all the racers in the Ultrasport!

Check out more pics below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3452602...50502736/show/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Caveman
    Hey Pat, Awesome loop! nice!
    2 questions:
    - Are you really wearing jeans?

- was the beach any firmer this time of year than the summer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fleece

they're fleece lined Carharts with wool long johns that I seem to wear all the time down here, so I just went with them. Not the best set up but it works just fine.

The beach was awesome. Ride on the wet sand just as the tide goes out and it's like a sidewalk. Same in the summer for the most part. The best trail in Alaska in my opinion. The route thru rocky sections changes with each tide so you always have a new trail to follow.
    The Caribou Hills trails are as good as any I've been on, at least when there's not hurricane winds blowing them in, and they actually groom most of them. And I mean an actual groomer. When I first came upon one I thought it was someones plowed driveway to their cabin.

Kathy and I may go out next week for a longer loop. Interested?

To give you an idea of what it was like, I rode the first 6 miles to Caribou Lake in about 50 minutes on my SS Fatty with all my gear, then I turned into the wind to go north. The next 6 miles took me 6 hours! I was blown off the bike twice and several times it blew the bike out from under my grip as I pushed.

Other than that it was a beautiful day, not a cloud to be seen, and the Harding Icefield was glimering in the distance. But I shoulda waited a day.....

By the way it's a very hilly trail network with no major riverways with flat trails on them, and most of the folks out there are going into their cabins. Not alot of playing around on snowgos and I didn't see one high mark. There are signs that say "Stay on the trail or stay home".

I have a good map from the local snow machine club if anyone is interested in exploring.

Pat

mtbr member
    May 2008
    more power to riding in jeans. i've been in full carhartts commuting all winter long and i couldn't be happier. damn this 40 hours/week... i'd love to join you. last summer in homer i picked up a snowmachine map of the caribou hills and began thinking about possible loops. glad that you put something together.

Caveman
    I wear fleece pajamas with moose prints on them with flannel lined carharts all day in my garage. keeps me nice and toasty.
    ha ha.
    Nice Pat, we all need to go do something.

I'm from Utah
    Great photos! The Snomads are awesome, aren't they? I used to ride the Caribou Lake trails back when I lived in Homer. I never throught to ride the beach.

I remember that the main trail to Caribou Lake was always like an ice road. I once saw a PT Cruiser driving out toward the lake. Side trails were usually pretty soft with lots of steep rolling hills. I was only ever brave enough to venture out for short loops, but remember wondering if you could connect them to Ninilchik or points farther north.

The main Caribou Lake trail was super fun in the summer, what with the boardwalk over all of the muskeg. Do they still maintain that trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes

We moved in Oct. so I haven't been on them in summer, but I hear it's a well traveled 4 wheeler/4x4/Homer car trail in the summer. I'll know in a few months and "get back to ya!"

As for the other trails many of them are summer trails as well so hope to get in a big dirt/beach summer loop, too.

I miss riding the Iditarod Trail but just couldn't justify the expense this year, especially when I have all these local trails now that I haven't explored. It's nice to just go for a multi-day trip right out the door, so for now I'll check these out down here and plan on the Big Trail in the future.

Hey Rio, how about a long summer ride/race down here????

My other thought as I was battling the wind was we should schedule our winter events like the PBP or the Alaska Wilderness Classic. Have the Su100 every 2-3 years and other events in the off years. That would spread it out without people having to choose which event they'll do, and it gives the organizers a break. It also keeps thing fresh for everyone participating.

I'm thinking a Su100, a Kenai Pen ride/race, and maybe a Fairbanks event. What do you folks think?

Pat

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Brevet

Pat,

I swung by the Free Spirit Wear Shop looking to see if you were around as I wanted to see if you were up for riding the Cosmic Homer Hams Sunday Loop next weekend. I don't think any of the other Cosmic riders will be there, but I wanted to do it before the Brevet on the 28th.

However, it appears you have other plans for next weekend ...

Are you planning to ride the Brevet?

--- Joe

Beware of Doggerel

Nice ride Pat

Great pics and movie.

Man I wish I was out there.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pat: Homer for the Homies

Find a course and lets see what we can do, I'm really interested in the number of riders that turn out for the summer PBP on the Denali Highway, its such a challenging route that it would take a rider such as yourself, Pete,Billy,Jason or Adam to complete and I'm fairly sure that there very few riders up here are willing to throw it down for that type of riding experience.

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    We moved in Oct. so I haven't been on them in summer, but I hear it's a well traveled 4 wheeler/4x4/Homer car trail in the summer. I'll know in a few months and "get back to ya!"

As for the other trails many of them are summer trails as well so hope to get in a big dirt/beach summer loop, too.

I miss riding the Iditarod Trail but just couldn't justify the expense this year, especially when I have all these local trails now that I haven't explored. It's nice to just go for a multi-day trip right out the door, so for now I'll check these out down here and plan on the Big Trail in the future.

Hey Rio, how about a long summer ride/race down here????

My other thought as I was battling the wind was we should schedule our winter events like the PBP or the Alaska Wilderness Classic. Have the Su100 every 2-3 years and other events in the off years. That would spread it out without people having to choose which event they'll do, and it gives the organizers a break. It also keeps thing fresh for everyone participating.

I'm thinking a Su100, a Kenai Pen ride/race, and maybe a Fairbanks event. What do you folks think?

Pat

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Pat,

I've always wanted to set up a winter brevet/permanent course, then riders could pursue an R12 award; that's a minimum of a 200K every month. Pretty challenging to do up here. There are a lot of variables, specifically weather, so I don't know if a pugs brevet is realistic. A pugs (fatbike) permanent is though, because a permanent is something the rider can schedule anytime, and on fairly short notice.

So, is there an out-and-back, or a loop of at least 200K that gets put in regularly every year, and is groomed regularly? If there is, I'd like to piggyback on your idea, and get a route submitted.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes

The Tustemena200 (miles) dog sled race uses the Caribou Hills from Kasilof-Caribou Lake-Kasilof in a big tear drop route. That's about half of the trails in the hills and they groom them on a regular basis. So Yes, I think you could plan on a regular route for a 200K. The beach is always good but you have to deal with the tides, so probably not a good option.

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yippee!!!

Joe,

Sorry I didn't get this post before today (Sunday). Are you riding it today (3/15) or next weekend? Was that you piloting the big ship that came in today?

Adam,

We have a couple more weeks for riding the snow/sand loop so come on down if you need a fix. You and Jo-Ann can stay with us if you don't mind the constant drum of the surf and eagles yelling....

Rio,

there are plenty of big ride/race loops we can do. We just need someone to organize it.

Pat

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Cosmic Loop

Pat,

I plan to ride the loop starting at 10:00 AM on the 22nd from the Seward/Old Seward Intersection. I'll swing by the shop and get the number to call you some time tomorrow.
    I may also drive the rest of the Brevet route on Sunday to get a road condition report out to the rest of the Randonneurs.

(No, it wasn't my ship)

--- Joe

mtbr member
    Beautiful sunset pics. True Alaskana right there.