mtbr member

Conditions outside Anchorage?

Would love to change it up this weekend. Anybody been riding north or south? Heard a rumor that Portage Lake was rideable? What about Res Trail? Russian Lakes? Anyone been north up near Big Lake, Iditarod Trail or Ayshire? Sheep Mountain? Will take any and all reports or suggestions. Such a long way to drive either direction without intel.

Thanks guys (and gals)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by onebadcat View Post
    Would love to change it up this weekend. Anybody been riding north or south? Heard a rumor that Portage Lake was rideable? What about Res Trail? Russian Lakes? Anyone been north up near Big Lake, Iditarod Trail or Ayshire? Sheep Mountain? Will take any and all reports or suggestions. Such a long way to drive either direction without intel.

Thanks guys (and gals)
    It's snowing pretty hard in big lake right now. Trails are hard, but hard to say how much we are going to get that will change that.

mtbr member
    If you get a chance to shout in the morning I'd be curious. Have you been out (or heard anything) about the snow machine trails or ice conditions out to Flathorn?

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by onebadcat View Post
    If you get a chance to shout in the morning I'd be curious. Have you been out (or heard anything) about the snow machine trails or ice conditions out to Flathorn?

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated!
    Haven't been there, but sounds interesting I'll have to look into that. Still snowing at this time. About 2 inches so far and the wind came up. I'll try to update in the morning.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I heard portage lake was wind blown and rideable as of today. Not sure what the newest snow will bring tho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Off to bed but the good news for you is the snow stopped. Should be rideable anywhere the snowmachines have been.

FatBike Fiend
    I have been plowing the parking lots at Ayrshire and Point Mac (Figure 8 Lake) trailheads. Lots of snow. There's been a lot of snowmachine traffic from the Ayrshire trailhead so I'm guessing ridable trails. Watch out for moose, major infestation out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Report from today: the groomed Crevasse-Moraine trails are still soft, but not bad riding. Mooseberry Mesa had been snowshoed but not ridden and was too soft and narrow to be fun for some of our crew, so we bailed. Knik River trails have seen snowmachines and four-wheelers; the latter made the trails a challenge to ride.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Also, this is a great resource on trail conditions all over: http://www.crosscountryalaska.org/trails/

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the reports. Unfortunately I couldn't motivate my crew to get out there this weekend. Maybe next if the weather holds. Sounds like Ayshire might have been the best bet anyway. Hopefully this thread will continue. Seems to be a serious lack of info available especially for MatSu. The Anchorage Snowmachine Club has some useful info Trail Reports but it's hard to gage how firm the surface will be based on those reports. Hard to convince the crew to waste the fuel without good intel.

If and when I do get out I will post a report. Campbell BLM trails were good on Saturday and great on Sunday.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was up in Willow over the weekend on the sno-go and xc skis. The trails will be bomber after the holidays and until the next big snow. Willow Trail Committee has lost some funding and not grooming as much, so expect some moguls and ruts from the funhogs on atv's. Sub zero in the morning, but not near as cold as the week before with -20's. I may go up early next week for a meander on the Pugs if conditions hold. Happy Trails!