Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Conditions on Kincaid STA Trails

How are the new STA Trails in Kincaid looking?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Covered in snow. Thank the fatbikers. The only snow around is on the groomed ski trails and the STA trails where the fatbikers roamed all winter.

I'm not saying fatbikers are a scourge but the ground all around the trail is snowless and dry...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Packed snow is slow to melt. A couple more weeks of melting needed it seems.

mtbr member
    Even it it weren't covered in packed snow right now, do you really think they'd be dry enough to ride any time soon? Probably not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I guess we could give up 5 months+ of great winter riding and skiing to make it so the trails will be rideable a couple weeks earlier in the spring....

mtbr member
    We go thru this every year haha....

I rode STA May 15th last year, dusty and dry conditions well before the June 1st. All the trail nazi's were angry. You would of thought Al Gore himself had appeared on a drunken rant and delivered swift justice to the Anchorage Hillside to anyone on two wheels.

Go out and observe conditions rather than relying on hearsay. Make good choices, and have fun. We did have a record snow year, just as much at elevation. However the frost line wasnt nearly as bad this year due to how much and how quick we got it. Should be good here in 3-5 weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was kidding about the fatbikes. I kind of want one although I prefer skiing my powder. The places on the trail that were not snowy or on the margins of snow were dry and hard FWIW.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Nazi's in Kincaid?

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post

I rode STA May 15th last year, dusty and dry conditions well before the June 1st. All the trail nazi's were angry. You would of thought Al Gore himself had appeared on a drunken rant and delivered swift justice to the Anchorage Hillside to anyone on two wheels.

Go out and observe conditions rather than relying on hearsay. Make good choices, and have fun. We did have a record snow year, just as much at elevation. However the frost line wasnt nearly as bad this year due to how much and how quick we got it. Should be good here in 3-5 weeks.
    Every year is different. Yes, last year trail riding was alot earlier. It'll be good sooner than you think. Some of us were riding the Ridge trail in April last year all the way to the beach. I'll go out on a limb and say most of that is good by now. No, I don't consider those sections of the Ridge trail to be STA or Kincaid really? Grandfathered maybe?
    Keep poking around though. Spread the news if you find ridable dirt...

mtbr member

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post

I fully agree, June 1 is not a law...common sense dictates when the trails are ready to ride. However, I think the Kinkaid STA trails will need to dry and then some before they should be used since they are fairly new. I have the feeling that since the trail last received minimal use last year during the wet part of the year that it may be somewhat fragile until it has dried out completely. Those trails are so good I would hate to see them chewed up. Last fall, after the frost had set in and before the snow, some sections were not looking pretty.

mtbr member

Ridge trails

Yeah, I was out there about this time last year and that was all very ridable...However, barely walkable in steep sections in my almost useless sidi dominators that I scored for $25 (and sold shortly thereafter).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think there has to be some common sense with the trails as a user.

If the recent decision to close down the frisbee golf is any indication then they'll just shut the rest of trails down as well (sarcasm.)

BOT, I rode around Russian Jack yesterday. There was a bit of snow, bit of mud and a some dry trails as well. Looks like there is still a week or so before the trails there dry up well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It will be a couple weeks for the STA trails to entirely melt out but some sections are already dry. Riding them may be delayed some but this time also presents a good oppurtunity to tune them up and do trail work.

On that note, the bluff trail is completely dry and is being ridden. Would be great to get this trail improved so it isnt eroding away and was largely ridable both ways. Be aware of all the moose out there, crap load of them out an about.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Where does one access the bluff trail? Kincaid newb here.

mtbr member
    You can access the bluff from the Jodhpur lot or from the Leikish trails adjacent to the Chalet. You can also access the bluff from beach trail...take the coastal trail from the Kinkaid chalet to the bottom of the hill. You will find a trail on your left at the very bottom of the hill just where the trail makes a sharp right hand turn to head back to town. The trail is well used, you can't miss it.

Bikes are good

It was rad yesterday

My dog almost got run over by a motorcycle though.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    I fully agree, June 1 is not a law...common sense dictates when the trails are ready to ride. However, I think the Kinkaid STA trails will need to dry and then some before they should be used since they are fairly new. I have the feeling that since the trail last received minimal use last year during the wet part of the year that it may be somewhat fragile until it has dried out completely. Those trails are so good I would hate to see them chewed up. Last fall, after the frost had set in and before the snow, some sections were not looking pretty.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. The trails are brand new and have not had a chance to set up yet. Some sections were getting tore up at the end of the season with the rain. Consider that much of the trail has not been seeded and has no root structure to hold the dirt in place, this will take time. The trails need to have the chance to dry and then some. The two guys i ran into out there last night trenching the trails said there was no signage indicating that they were closed. Well, that's where common sense comes in! If you are leaving trenches and sloughing the sides of the banked corners, then you are doing damage that someone will need to come back and repair. It's selfish really, to put your need for a quick thrill in front of that of the mountain bike community as a whole. If you look at the Kincaid project report Singletrack Advocates you will see that 205,500 dollars and 2,170 volunteer hours went into this project. That's a huge effort in my book. It would be a shame to ruin that hard work by not waiting a few extra weeks to ride. In the future if all of STA's time and energy is spent maintaining and fixing damage done to existing trails, I would think that less energy would be spent looking at developing more single track, possibly on the north side of the road in Kincaid or maybe in section 36. I think we should all take ownership and pride in this awesome asset to our community and help to protect it. Leave the trails to dry, consider coming out to volunteer when needed and lets keep making Anchorage a better place to live!

On a side note, the bluff trail is totally dry and i would be happy to take those of you not familiar with it out there if your jonesing for some dirt. Pm me if you like. -Ryan
    Last edited by ak greeff; 05-04-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Hey, next time snap a photo of the kooks and post it up here or on the single track advocates sites so they can be property singled out. Just kidding, sort of. That really makes me mad that people can be so, uh, thick. Don't you know, c'mon!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Lots of trees down on the Kincaid trails. Somebody ought to get out there with a saw and clear them, I might this weekend. Not sure about legal ramifications of running a chainsaw in the park.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    As long as you arent cutting down live trees what can someone really say? I exercise discretion when running one out there to just to avoid conflict but a pack saw will only do so much and the trails gotta stay open so.... Let me know if you go out, I can offer a hand or so I dont lug my saw around this weekend for naught.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My little stihl is nice and light, way better for this sort of operation than the jonesered I used to run. Wife and kids are going to a birthday party Saturday so that's when I'll be out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As long as you are not dealing with really large trees, a small cordless electric chainsaw would be great for stealty park operation.
    Amazon.com: cordless electric chainsaw

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Electric chainsaws blow goats. IME

mtbr member
    chain saw fairies are rad! Please walk in, and resist the urge to ride. Also if you cut trees out of the trail, consider leaving as long of sections of tree as possible for future log rides and features. Just cut out as much tree as is safe to pass through. Thanx for the effort guys! If I were not heading to Homer this weekend i would definitely come out. I have a stihl 026 for this sort of work.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Jed, did you guys make it out to cut deadfall this weekend? Any thing you missed you would like me to pick up? Let me know.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yep forrestvt and I went in and cut some out. Might head up hillside tomorrow, any deadfall up there?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast