Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Conditions on Hillside STA trails

With the idea of June 2nd's trail clean-up, I went to the hillside STA trails and rode darn near all of them. Drone, Janice's, Stinger, all are fine. Seems like everything South of gasline are great. North of the gasline, there a couple trees down, one on Hive, one on yellow jacket. Llama is pretty beat-up, but that's normal. Powerline above Prospect Heights is soggy and carved out from run-off.
    Workers could spend time on those and on the blown out corners. There are a number of inside lines in techier corners that are being worn in, they mislead the rider's eyes and they look lame. Only a few outside corners need to be fortified, mostly berming or speed scrubs prior.
    All the trails rode great today with only two trees to climb over. Really fun, tacky dirt this afternoon.
    Should be fun on Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I rode yellowjacket last night and didn't see any trees down. Two down on lower Hive, many many down on Hornets nest and a few down on Stinger. I intend to bring my saw to the trail work day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It looks like if we have a couple of saws, the work will divide up pretty easy. I will bring a chain saw, and we will have rakes and some trail tools available. There are downed trees on Brown bear and black bear that would be nice to get to, if time allows also-

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Unfortunately my wife has to work this morning so I'm home with kids. If there's still trees down I'll get up there this evening and clear them.

Cycling for Life
    Heads up;
    About 1 P.M. yesterday (Sat) I ran into a black bear w/2 cubs just around the corner from the intersection of Drone Lane and Queen Bee. While bears on the trails is not really out of the ordinary the fact that they were so far down the mountain is. I don't expect they will hang around there for long but then again if I was an expert in Bear Behavior Id be in a different line of work.

The cubs 'treed' immediately upon seeing me come around the corner and Ma bear was just as startled as I was- our stand off was short and sweet. Very beautiful bear though, it just wasn't one of them 'Kodak Moments' know what I mean?
    Last edited by Ak_Dan; 06-24-2012 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Dan View Post
    While bears on the trails is not really out of the ordinary the fact that they were so far down the mountain is.

Really?? I've seen more bears in the parking lot at hilltop than on any of the trails up higher. There are bears all over that place. Top to bottom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Riding is great up there now

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    rode the trails today (July 4th), and the conditions were decent despite the recent rain. Lots of small puddles but trails are holding up well. One thing that could be improved are the tall weeds/grass which are making sections of the trails overgrown. It's pretty bad in places restricting visibility increasing the danger of head-on collisions. They need to organize a trail work day and weed whack the trails.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Upper Llama

Quote Originally Posted by Kmedmd View Post
    Riding is great up there now
    So, After riding yesterday on the Hammer side of town. I was focused on riding the Hillside last night while the kids were dragged off to a estrogen festival. I lost the mojo to ride in the rain. So I decided to to wield a Machete on a walk about on the upper,upper Llama trail from STA topside to Prospect hts. Machetes really like cowparsnip. If I can motivate a few more folks with a gas powered weed wacker we can knockout some more over grown trail this weekend..
    Last edited by SuperBlinky; 07-13-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling

May 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twintipper85 View Post
    rode the trails today (July 4th), and the conditions were decent despite the recent rain. Lots of small puddles but trails are holding up well. One thing that could be improved are the tall weeds/grass which are making sections of the trails overgrown. It's pretty bad in places restricting visibility increasing the danger of head-on collisions. They need to organize a trail work day and weed whack the trails.
    Who ever brushed back the Hillside trails recently Thanks! Good job.

What Penguin???
    [QUOTE=SuperBlinky;9580204]Who ever brushed back the Hillside trails recently Thanks! Good job.:

Stinger could use some attention. We don't need a work party to weed whack the trails. Everyone should feel welcome to pitch in at his/her convenience.
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm glad it's getting done, I'm so allergic to the grass I can't hardly ride. I get hives wherever I brush against the grass.

runs with scissors
    good to know!
    61 North

May 2009
    The Gas line got mowed down from Prospect hts down. Watch for debris in your drive train if you like descending that section of trail.....
    I'm deteriorating faster than I can lower my standards

May 2009

Awesome Job! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    I'm glad it's getting done, I'm so allergic to the grass I can't hardly ride. I get hives wherever I brush against the grass.
    Unfortunately the grass is still there. Whom ever cut out and up the Natural EMP damage. At both sides of town. Thanks! We owe you more than a beer! Good job!

Alaska Turner Mafia

Hillside Riding's Fantastic

Put in an early ride today laying down first tracks with SuperBlinky, making our way from Service, up the STA Trails, climbed up above Prospect on Golden Grass, up South Fork Rim, across White Spruce, down Denali View and returned to complete a fantastic loop. Despite about 3/4" of fresh snow, the singletrack under it is firm. Really nice to see some blue sky and sun. Get up there and enjoy!

SB coming off Golden Grass trail.

Taking a breather at the overlook on South Fork looking up into Powerline Pass.

Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Alaska Turner Mafia

Damn today was sweeeet!

Despite all the new snow the riding was fantastic. Even on trails that I made first tracks on, it was no problem slicing through a fresh five or six inches. Too bad I didn't play around with some video!

Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

May 2009

Lower Hillside conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando View Post
    Despite all the new snow the riding was fantastic. Even on trails that I made first tracks on, it was no problem slicing through a fresh five or six inches. Too bad I didn't play around with some video!

I haven't been out this week. Skiing to much.. I rode to work today along Elmore.. Just curious if bluedot and the baseball boogie have had some bike traffic?

AKTed
    Sep 2004
    I rode from APU up the Tour trail and around the Campbell Tract on Wednesday. Things were soft then. Bluedot had some foot traffic and I started down it but quickly aborted. Should be better now though?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode blue dot last night. Drop the tire pressure and prepare to dab occasionally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Did my best

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlinky View Post
    I haven't been out this week. Skiing to much.. I rode to work today along Elmore.. Just curious if bluedot and the baseball boogie have had some bike traffic?
    I have been out skiing all the single track, paper plate, blue dot, brown bear, speedway, this week trying to compact the snow as much as possible. Most of it should be bikeable by now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ran along speedway today, wished I had brought my bike It was soft in places but i'm pretty sure all ridable. Yesterday morning I rode/walked bluedot should be setting up nicely now. Hopefully I will be out there tomorrow morning, the other trails looked good too. Just a warning someone on Facebook mentioned that they had had their car broken into at the Elmore ball fields lot.
    This Facebook page has more trail reports

Edit
    And thank you Russp17
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hello, I feel kinda stupid but I can't find a map online of a lot of the trails people are talking about here. Looking for Speedway and Blue Dot, brown bear, etc. for example. They don't show up on the Hillside STA map or on this one: Hillside Trails Anchorage Map | ALASKA.ORG
    Arctic Cycles claims to have a link on their page, but it's broken. Where the heck are these trails? Is there a map somewhere?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So the only way I found these trails was going out with locals however
    Bluedot connects old rondy to moosetracks it is marked with blue dots on trees.
    Bluedot
    The trail on this map called firebreak trail is what I know as speedway, connects homestead to moosemeadow, not marked to my knowledge
    Speedway
    I'm fairly new to the area hope this helps.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the info, blades. It's shocking how little info there is available on these.

I rode Brown bear and black bear (I think, even the posted trail maps appear to be more up-to-date than what's online) and conditions were fun - trails were packed to a pretty narrow width so they were technical, but the snow was good - not slippery or icy anywhere and it wasn't to slushy to power up the steep hills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast