Thread: Cold question

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Cold question

I had to leave my bike on the back deck during this cold snap that we had for the past couple weeks. I have a 2 bedroom condo so no room to keep it inside. Well it seems my front fork is frozen as it won't move and if I cycle the pedals back the chain falls off. It's now in my storage unit but it's almost as cold in there. When everything thaws out will I be fine or am I looking to things fixed. Sorry for the newb question....just want to know what I'm up against if it happens again.

Mike

Wood chips are stupid

greeze freeze

if you can get into a bearing, clean it and change the grease.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    The particular fork you have may just not work once it gets to a certain temperature. Depending on what it is, it may be possible to winterize it, but consider putting a rigid fork on there for the winter or accepting that the suspension fork isnít going to do much at the lower temps. The freewheel could be the result of thickening grease at the cooler temps or it may be contaminated with water from the summer or just leaving it outside all the time and it is actually freezing. The solution either way is as Akdelux described or if itís really bad, parts may be due for replacement.

Raubgee

2 Bedrooms?

One should be for the bike! Where are your priorities?
    Or chuck the fridge and just use your deck as a freezer - you already know how well it keeps things cold. That should buy you some room. Bike feng shui; I may be onto something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hahaha.....I like that bike feng shui idea....only if I didn't have two kids. Hell they even have the master bedroom while the wifey and I have the small room. Oh well we all have to make sacrifices. If I get on with Anchorage Police then I get to get into a larger house and have a room dedicated to fitness. My bike feng shui will come around then.

Mike