Thread: Chickaloonacy

FatBike Fiend

Chickaloonacy

Bill and KathiM invited us up to their 'hood for a trip up the Chickaloon River. Conditions were excellent: about 99% hard packed styrofoam-like snow and a bit of glare ice and overflow thrown in. There was a really pretty slot canyon we negotiated our way through and went about 9 miles up. Those riding well endowed wheels could have continued onward on softer trail but a couple of the group had skinnier tires so we turned around. The river has a good gradient, a local outfitter runs whitewater rafting trips down it in the summer so it was a speedy run back out.

If BillM can tear himself away from his new dentist practice maybe he can post some more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Bill M

Chickaloon River ride

It was a really fun ride and a beautiful sunny day out there. We had never been up this far on the river ourselves. About a month ago there was huge overflow that looked actually like open water, so we only made it up for 3 miles or so. Now all the overflow areas are refrozen. This was possibly the best time to ride the Chickaloon.
    Kathi M.

Bill M

Chickaloon River ride.

Here is some of our pics.

Caveman
    Sweet, Bring your ice tools next time!

Bill M

Chickaloon River ride

Here are some more pics from the Chickaoon River ride.

Bill M

Chickaloon River

more pics
    Last edited by Bill M; 03-12-2007 at 02:45 PM.

ckg
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

more chickaloon ride pics

xxxxx

ckg
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

and more pics

yyyyy

Ologist
    Great pics!! I was wondering how far up one could get from the road. There are falls way up in the upper river drainage are some of the toughest ice climbs in ak. I don't think you can get all the way up there without flying or at least what I have been told.

FatBike Fiend

Cat's out of the bag now.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Great pics!! I was wondering how far up one could get from the road. There are falls way up in the upper river drainage are some of the toughest ice climbs in ak. I don't think you can get all the way up there without flying or at least what I have been told.
    Oh, oh we're probably in trouble with the local contingent of Chickaloon ice climbers (and I know there's quite a few of them) for showing pics of their private ice playground so let me just say that all of the ice waterfalls depicted in the above photos are actually made of styrofoam as photo props and do not actually exist in real life. Sorry for the confusion.

But to answer your question, we made it around 9 miles up from the mouth of the river at which point the ice had collapsed from receding water levels and made it difficult to proceed further by snowmachine. It did look like the collapse was of fairly recent vintage because there was older snowmachine tracks heading further up stream above the block. The trail from there was quite a bit softer but a fat bike of some kind could have been able to ride further but I am not sure how far.

Nice pics there, Chris.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

where is chickaloon biking trailhead/parking?

For those of us who missed the outing, where do we park for these rides? Thanks

FatBike Fiend

Parking

Quote Originally Posted by dhart
    For those of us who missed the outing, where do we park for these rides? Thanks
    You can park about 3 miles up the Chickaloon River Rd. There's a small parking area with room for about 5 rigs. It's surrounded by no trespassing signs but no worries, the trail continues from there on the old RR grade which I'm pretty sure has a trail easement on it. Ride about 3/4 of a mile up the RR grade, them drop down onto the river at the first opportunity and just follow it up as far as you can.

Nice ride, you'll love it.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Mr.Secret
    There's places to park right off the Glenn Hwy. at the river.

Wood chips are stupid

Wow

That is cool. I wanna go.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT