Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is it cheesey to ware a snowboard helmet and goggles?

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Haines Mountain Biker 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'll get laughed at by all the hardcore riders out there. I'm thinking i might commute to work tomorrow, and I was thinking that it would be warmer. How do you normally keep warm while riding in the winter?

#7 ·
Clad i went with the snowboard helmet and goggles, it was freezing rain for at least half my commute. Although if I were going any farther I surely would have over heated. On the flip side I really wish i had a fat bike. I put 2.5" DH Tires on my XC bike which was nicer than the normal tires, but i bet one of those fat bikes would be an absolute joy to ride. :) Thanks for the input everyone.

100_0433 by F00G, on Flickr

Now it's time to make Marshmallow. :)

#11 ·
HAHAHA... I lived up there in the early/mid 90's and yeah... I saw all sorts of "fashion statements" on bikers during the winter.

Like other folks have said.. when it comes down to it.. you should wear what works for ya.

I'm wondering about a skater helmet with skull cap/ear protectors?
There are way fewer vents, more head coverage, less insulation (if you count the safety foam inside).

#13 ·
I wear a bolle ski/snowboarder helmet every day in the winter. It covers my ears, still allows for ventilation and keeps me warm, and it's easy to mount my light to it. Depending on weather I wear either nothing on my eyes, clear lens bike glasses, or when it's really a blizzard I wear ski goggles. I commute every day even when we had the 20 below windchill and when we got the first full foot of snow.

#14 ·
I've been commuting as much as possible, scaled back the clothes i ware so i can still ware the snowboard helmet. My wonderful wife made me a set of poggies, so I'm pretty much in the same clothes as i wore on a rainy fall day if it is 10-25 degrees. That windstorm totally sucked trying to ride in last week, i had a headwind my whole commute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.