Alaska Turner Mafia

Captain Cook Beach Bash

With recollections of our Clam Gulch to Homer fatbiking beach ride tempting us to sample some sand once again, SuperBlinky and I decided to revisit the Kenai for a weekend of further exploration.

Since we were familiar with the southerly route we previously rode, plans were made for a bit more northerly destination to investigate. Unlike our last venture, which included full-on camping gear, we wanted this to have more of a playful riding style flavor. Joining us on his first inlet foray on fatbikes was AKTay49.

Previous documentation by Pat Irwin and Kathy, and then also by Bearbait, had long ago planted the seed to visit the stretch south of Chickaloon Bay. We base camped at Capt. Cook Rec Area, which made day trips possible without heavily loaded bikes.

After arriving on a Friday evening and getting camp established we gave the legs a spin. Near high-tide conditions still left plenty of exposed beach, so we decided to casually meander at least as far as the landmark cabin Pat made famous.

After a few hours of play, frosty treats were earned back in camp. Sleeping aid of course!

We awoke to blue skies, calm waters, and warm temps - it felt like our first true day of summer.

With low tide a few hours away we knew we'd have plenty of time to let loose. No epics, no agenda, just get out there and dink around. So we did.....

Low tide revealed tons of captivating stone features as the miles passed.

You were never really sure what you might see next!

But undoubtedly the rock formations continued to amaze.

You could clamber about....

....or continue to search....

...for that playful lure.

At day's end more frosty treats were enjoyed at beachside to the lowering sun. What a kick.

Last edited by EndoRando; 06-18-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Sweet pics. Looks like you scored with the weather. Nice write-up. You mentioned Chickaloon - have you ever ridden out Mystery Creek road to the bay? Looks like it could be a really fun ride...

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    AWESOME RANDO!!! Thx for the share, can't wait to go exploring down there!

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Good job! Fat Bike Beach Park!

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando View Post
    With recollections of our Clam Gulch to Homer fatbiking beach ride tempting us to sample some sand once again, SuperBlinky and I decided to revisit the Kenai for a weekend of further exploration.

Since we were familiar with the southerly route we previously rode, plans were made for a bit more northerly destination to investigate. Unlike our last venture, which included full-on camping gear, we wanted this to have more of a playful riding style flavor. Joining us on his first inlet foray on fatbikes was AKTay49.

Previous documentation by Pat Irwin and Kathy, and then also by Bearbait, had long ago planted the seed to visit the stretch south of Chickaloon Bay. We base camped at Capt. Cook Rec Area, which made day trips possible without heavily loaded bikes.

After arriving on a Friday evening and getting camp established we gave the legs a spin. Near high-tide conditions still left plenty of exposed beach, so we decided to casually meander at least as far as the landmark cabin Pat made famous.

After a few hours of play, frosty treats were earned back in camp. Sleeping aid of course!

We awoke to blue skies, calm waters, and warm temps - it felt like our first true day of summer.

With low tide a few hours away we knew we'd have plenty of time to let loose. No epics, no agenda, just get out there and dink around. So we did.....

Low tide revealed tons of captivating stone features as the miles passed.

You were never really sure what you might see next!

But undoubtedly the rock formations continued to amaze.

You could clamber about....

....or continue to search....

...for that playful lure.

At day's end more frosty treats were enjoyed at beachside to the lowering sun. What a kick.

Way to go Endoscopic! Publisher quality pics! I think I'm taking a break from the redneck Margaritas for a while. Although it was a great way to have fatbike beach park intermission in between tides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice pics

mtbr member
    looks like a cool place to hang out

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yahoo, my cabin is still standing!

Endo,

Thanks for the memories as it's been a while since we've been up there. And so glad the cabin is still there - it's one good wave from being a houseboat!

Did you guys meet the 'Spirit Rock' guy? Not sure he's still out there but he's quite a character. His brown cabin is 6 miles north of Capt Cook Park. Just curious...

Anyway great story and pics and thanks again for the memories. We're so glad folks continue to enjoy that ride.

Pat

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by kenai rider View Post
    ....Looks like you scored with the weather......You mentioned Chickaloon - have you ever ridden out Mystery Creek road to the bay?
    kenai rider, yes the entire weekend was a beaut! I've never even heard of Mystery Creek road, maybe check it out and let us in on the beta, sounds interesting.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    ... so glad the cabin is still there - it's one good wave from being a houseboat!

Did you guys meet the 'Spirit Rock' guy? Not sure he's still out there but he's quite a character. His brown cabin is 6 miles north of Capt Cook Park. Just curious...
    Hey Pat, it was cool to see that elevated cabin firsthand. And you're so right, the way it's supported with pallets on the inland side makes it look like it's not anchored too well. One tall wave and woohoo, what a ride that could be!

May have run into the Spirit Rock guy as I talked to a local on a four wheeler at length, but our conversation seemed to center around a grizzly bear he had just watched chase a moose cow and calf down the beach for a few miles until the bear gave up. Then we switched gears and yakked about agates. He showed me one he had along so I'd know what I was looking for, and got lucky later on and found one about the size of a golf ball. Real nice and talkative fella, an old timer that had a career on the slope as machinist, and super interested in our fatbikes as an alternative to his four wheeler that would allow him to still cruise the beaches while getting some exercise. Fun time, glad I stirred up some memories for ya. We sure enjoyed it, so thanks to you for posting about it years ago and planting the seed.