Thread: Cable lubes?

mtbr member

Cable lubes?

I went to mount my uber-cool new handlebars last night and discovered my old cables were too short. So a quick trip to the Evil Empire and I got home with all new cables and housings. The brake housing has green teflon (?) inside and the shift housing has white (teflon?). An hour later I had them on and adjusted, out for a spin, and it's not as slick as I'd like.

So, what's the local preference for winter cable lube? Graphite perhaps?

Cheers!

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

not KY

sorry double post

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

not KY

For my Snaux Phat Byke, I make sure that all of my cables are not lubed.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    No lube usually works best. I'm surprised with everything being new that it doesn't feel slick. Could it be that your cuts at the cable housing ends have left some burrs, creating friction? Cuts always need to be double checked, especially the coiled inners of brake housing. Either file away, take to a grinder wheel, or dremel.

I have had good luck in the past using wax as a lube. Either take the inner cable and "saw" it into a candle, or use some of the cross country ski waxes available for colder temps. Once there's a layer on your cable, smooth it out between your fingers. Wax doesn't collect dirt and is pretty waterproof. I usually just run cables dry with success until they need replacing. Oils or grease just tend to collect dirt and grit.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member

Still gummy

Thanks guys. I'm just back from Viewpoint trail and the shifters and brakes still feel gummy... nonslick. I'm thinking now maybe the derailleurs are just filthy? Last night I took a lot of care to make sure the housings were not abrading the cables at all. Smooth as a baby's butt where the cable enters and exits.

I guess I'm spoiled, my new bike only has 3 or 4 rides on it and it's slick as snot on a doorknob. Now I want my old crusty bike that smooth too!