Thread: Bob on Res Pass

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Bob on Res Pass

I am beginning to plan a bike trip with my son this summer and looking at Res Pass. Probably doing 2-3 nights out. It seems like Bob trailers have fallen out of vogue and people now use bikepacking packs. We could probably use existing gear and strap our gear to our bikes but I am wondering if a Bob might be simpler. Also wondering if Res Pass is suitable for a Bob. My guess is that we won't do the full trail, probably in and out of Hope.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Hello AKmipa,

We're quite the fans of BOB Trailers. Hard to beat their ability to haul cargo in one big bag on singletrack. You are absolutely correct that the cool-club is all about small strap-on bags for bikepacking. There's certainly pro's and con's to each setup. You might be surprised how much fun riding singletrack with a BOB is. With the BOB, you can carry more than enough gear to comfortably camp for several nights in a row in challenging weather. The trick is to not bring too much. Whatever route you go, don't put it on you're back. Nothing is compares to the misery of riding several hours of rough trail with a bunch of weight way up on your back.

Best of luck and be sure and post up trip photos on your return, whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I never have pulled a trailer up the pass, but I talked to a guy up their going to one of the public use cabins pulling a bob trailer. It looked like he had a pretty good load on it so I followed behind him for a while, it tracked pretty nice and didnít look like a problem. After he stopped to let me by we talked for a while he said he had done it a few times and the trailer worked really well.

sluice box
    yup I know a guy who has hunted up there and done a few trips hauling out a moose with his bob trailer on full sus Cannondale. I think it is best to find a car shuttle, my favorite is up from Cooper Landing and out Devils.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I saw one guy throw his BOB in the bushes on the Resurrection Pass trail. Too many water bars. You can ride that trail in one day no problem. Get a cabin in Cooper's Landing then ride back or take a shuttle. Better yet, shuttle to Devil's Pass, ride up that then back to Hope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I live near Res pass trail on the cooper landing side and ride it frequently. I also bought a BOB and axle from robertaxle. I love the setup, the roots on certain parts of Res pass can be brutal to a BOB but mine has held up great. If you have a bit of gear or want to take a few beers then the BOB is the way to go. I will probably see you out there!