Alaska Turner Mafia

Blue Dot Flooded

I went on a recon ride yesterday with SuperBlinky to check out some of the wind and flooding damage. We had intentions of trying to clean up what we could so snowbike riding would be possible. I carried a handsaw and we cleared quite a bit in the Mirkwood area, although there's still some larger downed trees remaining that will require some chainsaw action.

With all the flooding advisories in the area lately our curiosity triggered a ride onto Blue Dot. We entered from Moose Track and made our way north, trimming with the handsaw as we went. Yesterday the bridge was intact, although under water.

We returned today with a chainsaw to clear out the larger downfall, only to find that once we made it to the creek the bridge had washed downstream, and parallel to the northern bank.

Here's a shot of the original placement of the bridge. It used to span from the left of that large splintered trunk on the far bank, to just left of the near trunk. You can see the bridge now resting on the far bank. It appears it broke loose from the southern bank and pivoted.

Another view, from further downstream.

We'll get out there soon and take a look at the Blue Dot section north of the creek and bridge.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Great recon Rando! Bummer about the bridge... Has anyone had a chance to clear Speedway?

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Mtn Bikes Gods needed a sacrifice

So I gave them a Chainsaw chain. We spoke. I asked that I not give up another chainsaw chain for at least 10 years..
    I'm deteriorating faster than I can lower my standards

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    We almost gave up a bar in Russian Jack, thank god for a Leatherman with a mini saw-blade. Saved the day!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Randy, Do you tink we could pull it back into place with a come along once the water goes down? That is one of my favorite winter trails and I'd hate to not be able to cross the creek reliably. Steve
    Latitude 61

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Randy, Do you tink we could pull it back into place with a come along once the water goes down?
    Very doubtful Steve. It's tough to definitely assess right now with the water so high, but it would take a major effort. Once the water drops to usual levels I'd be glad to give it another view and see just how the bridge has settled.

Went in today from the Tour trail with a handsaw. There's a large birch cluster just as you enter that was way too much for my packable saw, but managed to clear out the rest up to the spot where Blue Dot makes that last steep drop approaching the bridge. Chainsaw definitely needed for the birches still there.....unless someone wants to make a ramp

Jordy, sorry but haven't made it over to Speedway to check.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

beer is good
    you guys need a trip to Utah!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Dot Flooded-moabburro-004-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

What Penguin???
    Speedway is surprisingly good. There are a lot of downed birches in the wind tunnel aka "firebreak" but none fell across the trail. Don't even try Rover's. Went in up to the hubs.
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Can we organize a Blue Dot bridge construction and installation? Before winter? If we can't get the old bridge back in place, maybe we could construct a new one?

It would be a shame to lose that trail for the winter...

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC AK View Post
    Can we organize a Blue Dot bridge construction and installation? Before winter?
    Somebody else might have more information, but I think the BLM and/or muni have been talking about replacing that old bridge anyway. Maybe this will force their hand and make them do the work next summer?

Once the stream freezes up, we should be able to cross it anyway. (After Rando goes first to make sure the ice is solid. )
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

May 2009

Utah!

Quote Originally Posted by Nels View Post
    you guys need a trip to Utah!!

Hey, I know those guys!

Goin Nels. We are goin soon. You need to call Endo.

What Penguin???
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma View Post
    Somebody else might have more information, but I think the BLM and/or muni have been talking about replacing that old bridge anyway. Maybe this will force their hand and make them do the work next summer?

Once the stream freezes up, we should be able to cross it anyway. (After Rando goes first to make sure the ice is solid. )
    I'm meeting with Parks and Rec this week. I'll ask.
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I tried to "Pos Rep" JordyB and I hit the wrong button and "Neg repped" him. I feel like a tool, could somebody pos rep him to even it out! Sorry JordyB.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    I tried to "Pos Rep" JordyB and I hit the wrong button and "Neg repped" him. I feel like a tool, could somebody pos rep him to even it out! Sorry JordyB.
    Done
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    You guys rock!

Edit: Bring on the Neg Reg!
    Last edited by JordyB; 09-25-2012 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma View Post
    Make sure you get video of that
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    New bridge on Blue Dot is underway! Not sure whose responsible, but thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Total props to whoever is building the bridge. I walked across it yesterday and it is looking good.

Randy I see what you mean about not being able to move the original bridge, those trees were monsters. How did they get them in place out there?,
    Latitude 61

May 2009
    /Users/larsen_amy/Desktop/2012-10-16 12.11.50.jpg/Users/larsen_amy/Desktop/2012-10-23 13.59.07.jpg
    Desert to the Bluedot bridge!