Silver bullet

Bike rental in Fairbanks??

I'm traveling to Fairbanks next week and would like to rent a decent mountain bike. At home I ride a full suspension but I would settle for a hardtail since I'll only be there for a week. I just want to keep riding somewhat while I'm there. Last year I brought my bike with me but this year because of some unforeseen circumstances (long story) I have to fly on 2 different airlines from New York so it may end up costing me and extra $400 to take.

Also if there's an XC race that's being held on the weekend of the 23rd I'd be interested in participating in that...if I can get a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djb55
    I'm traveling to Fairbanks next week and would like to rent a decent mountain bike. At home I ride a full suspension but I would settle for a hardtail since I'll only be there for a week. I just want to keep riding somewhat while I'm there. Last year I brought my bike with me but this year because of some unforeseen circumstances (long story) I have to fly on 2 different airlines from New York so it may end up costing me and extra $400 to take.

Also if there's an XC race that's being held on the weekend of the 23rd I'd be interested in participating in that...if I can get a bike.
    Try Beaver Sports for a bike rental. I am pretty sure they do that, or at least they did while I was up there for college.

As far as a race is concerned, I checked their calendar and there are no mountain (or road for that matter) races listed. There might be some informal rides going on that you could get involved with. I would check with Beaver Sports, they should be able to point you the right direction.

Have fun. This is the good time of year to be up there. Above zero degrees and no smoke from forest fires yet.

Silver bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier
    Try Beaver Sports for a bike rental. I am pretty sure they do that, or at least they did while I was up there for college.
    Beaver was the first place I called and they told me they don't. I stopped in there last year and it was a nice shop, good people and nice equipment.

Last year I also missed a race at Birch Hill XC ski area by one day. I left the day before it to come home.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep looking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Alaska Outdoor Rentals and Guides

Larry Katlin owns and operates Alaska Outdoor Rentals and Guides, he has mtn bikes for rent. Located in back of Pioneer Park off of Peger R. overlooking the Chena River. Phone 457-2453 website below. I'm surprised Beaver Sports didn't know about this, it's the only bike rental in town as far as I know. If you are looking for trails while up here give me a call at 374-8068 and I could suggest a few. It's been a primo Fairbanks summer so far, so with luck next week will be nice. good luck, tony

http://www.akbike.com

Silver bullet

Thanks Tony

Hey Tony,

I got in touch with them and it's all worked out.

Since I'll be visting there I'm not sure what I'll have time for...probably early morning things before everyone gets up, I'll still be on east coast time. I may contact you for some trail info when I'm there.

Thanks much for the info!!!