Thread: Arctic story

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Arctic story

Kathy has finished the story on our winter bike trip from Kotzebue last spring, and I thought you guys might be interested in reading about what we did, didn't do, and what we'd do differently next time.
    It may help someone....

http://www.freespiritwear.com/arcticride.html

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

A Great Tale

`Pat & Kathy -thanks for posting your epic story. Excellent.

Wood chips are stupid
    Looks like it was a epic trip. Thanks for the info too. Well done Pat.
    Who's Kathy?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Grillin' & Chillin'

Winter Adventure Cycling

Awesome story and photos, Kathy and Pat. My favorite part was reading about your stay in Buckland. It sounded like such a positive experience to bring into your lives. The kids sounded delightful.

Tim Kelly - The biker not the skier.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Kathy has finished the story on our winter bike trip from Kotzebue last spring, and I thought you guys might be interested in reading about what we did, didn't do, and what we'd do differently next time.
    It may help someone....

http://www.freespiritwear.com/arcticride.html

Pat
    Momma & Pops-

Great story. Thanks for doin' it, and thanks even mo' for sharin' it.

It's your fault that I'm considerin' packin' more fuel now...

See ya in a few weeks.

MC

KuskoRiverCruiser

Good job! Nice Story...Thanx

nice trip...

Thank you for representing Alaskan Expedition Cyclists so well during your visit to those villages...the legacy you leave behind is NOT your expedition prowess but the friendliness and respect you exhibited during your stay in those communities.

I'm sure the folks in Buckland appreciated your help with the youth in their community...the kids will always remember for sure!

Good job Pat and Kathy

Martin
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fuel story

speaking of more fuel, what we didn't write about was trying to get our stuff back thru airport security in Kotzebue. Man, those guys are Nazis about security to the point of being stupid. I think they're in training or something, but they wouldn't let our MSR stove on board, not to mention our empty fuel bottles. The fact that everything was completely empty didn't matter. If it was a stove new out of the box, they still wouldn't allow it.
    The folks in Anchorage didn't seem to mind since we were able to get out there with a stove, but Kotz and the folks in Nome acted like we were the spawn of bin Laden. Luckily the same ticket agents man the Alaska Air cargo desk and it was OK to ship it that way. It flys on the same 'Combi" jet as the passengers! Will someone explain this to me???
    Anyway, I'm just glad I didn't have fuel in my bike frame or I'd really been in trouble.
    O course you can always fly Frontier and avoid the hassle, but you didn't hear that from me.
    Keep this in mind when flying in Alaska. I've heard stories of folks reaching their destination in the bush only to find out security had removed their stove/fuel. I understand why they do it, but I just wish they'd have a system in place to ship it for you at the last moment when you're about to board the plane with something you thought was allowed.
    That XGK was $120 and Kathy nearly took some heads off when she thought she'd lose it. Wasn't very lady like, but I'm glad she was there!

She's going back in march to help the ski program and I'm.....

Pat

Caveman
    Great write up Pat and Kathy, Thanks for sharing it. I liked how you went with the flow out there and imersed yourselves into the community.

I have a few friends who rafted the Noatak River a few years back. When the bush plane dropped them wayy upstream at the put in they opened their bags to find the white TSA search notices. Every one of their lighters had been taken out. The only thing that the group had to start a fire was the spark of an empty mini bic that somehow was missed by the lighter nazi's. This is for like 8 people on a 3 week trip...