2012 Arctic Bike Club Bike Swap
Buy, Sell, Trade Bikes & BICYCLE related Gear.
The Arctic Bike Club hosts this event as a community service, so it is 100% Free & Open to all individuals and businesses; the club takes No fees and NO Commissions on Sales.
When: Saturday March 31st; 12:30pm to ~3:00pm
Where: AT&T Sports Complex, 11051 O’Malley Ctr Drive, Anchorage, AK 99507
Event Homepage: ABC Blog | Arctic Bicycle Club
View Map (Behind the Alaska Club South at the corner of Omalley & Old Seward Highways)
How we do it, Tips, and Important Information for Navigating the Bike Swap:
The Bike Swap is run as a community event by the Arctic Bicycle Club and the club is not attempting to dealing with any monies during the event.
Thus in many ways once the doors are opened it is a 'free-for-all' of individuals and businesses trying to buy, sell, or trade their cycling related gear in a fast paced flea market atmosphere.
This means the Arctic Bike Club:
- Has no financial participation in any transaction that occurs.
- Has no control or prices or payment methods.
- Has no control over the condition, quanity, or quality of items at the swap at any given time.
- Will not be involved in any individuals financial transaction; nor will they be able to provide 'change'.
- Suggests that all sales should be considered ‘As-Is’ and 'Final'. The club will not provide any warranty or resolve any disputes between buyers and sellers. It is also not liable for any injury or damage caused by or with an item purchased at the swap.
- Will have a minimal number of volunteers to help; and will be focusing on answering questions on how it works and event cleanup.
Tips for Buyers:
- Come early for the best selection, we cannot emphasize this enough.
- Be aware that all items for sale may not be there at the opening of the event, and may first appear even an hour after it opens.
- Bring Cash; most buyers will likely not accept checks or credit cards. There are several ATMs in the area of the swap.
- If you are interested in something, communicate that quickly to the seller. Most items that will sell, tend to sell early.
- Do your research ahead of time, and knowing how much you are willing to pay for something will enable you to quickly assess whether you want to buy something and not potentially miss out on a great deal.
Tips for Sellers:
- The first 30-45 minutes tend to be VERY busy, so coming prepared to sell and quickly setup will be in your best interest.
- Bring your bike or other cycling items and be ready to bring them inside when the doors open at 12:30pm.
- Have a sign on your item stating it is for sale if it is a bike or larger item. Likewise, if something is not for sale (such as a bike stand) label it as such.
- If you have parts or accessories, bring a collapsable table, or bring a blanket or small tarp to display your items out on.
- The club will NOT be providing tables or chairs. So you must bring your own if you wish to use them. There be very few power plugs; if you wish to use one expect to need at least 100-200ft of extension cord. Phoneline and/or internet access will not provided.
- Know what your new or used gear is, how old it is, and what it is worth ahead of time. Check Craigslist, LocalBiketrader.com, or eBay completed auctions for reference. Most outdoor gear quickly loses its value once it has been used; though there are exceptions.
- Have prices on things ahead of time. (Painting or Masking tape works well for this purpose.)
- Be prepared to negotiate, or be clear that a price is firm.
- Be prepared to let someone take a spin around the soccer field the event is being held on. It has been found to support road and mountain bikes fine in the past.
- Have change, especially if you are selling smaller items and people will most likely be operating in $20 bills having come just from the ATM.
- You are not required to be there at the beginning of the event, you can come at any time and leave when you wish. But you are encouraged to come early and be prepared to stay for the duration of the event (12:30-3:00pm). At 3pm we will ask people to start breaking down.
- Decide if you want to follow-up with people after the swap if something does not sell. Either have small sheets of paper with your contact information available on it for the buyers to contact you and/or have something to take their contact information.
- Please no ski,kayak , camping, or non-cycling related gear. Items that are truly cross-sport are fine.
For additional tips, check out the Chainletter Blog on the Arctic Bike Club Website.
Bike Shops or those with A LOT (a table or more) of stuff to sell, early setup is available.Please contact media (at) arcticbikeclub.org for information as to how this will work.
Do you want to help make this a successful event, we could use a more volunteers to:
Help with setup (11:45am-12:30pm)
Help answer questions during the event, as well as talk about the club. (12:30-3:00pm)
Help with cleanup (2:30pm-4:00pm)
Help Distribute Flyers to local businesses, everyone can do this by downloading the PDF version of the flyer here.
DOWNLOAD AND DISTRIBUTE THE FLYER HERE: http://a8c.us/xspU6u
Stay tuned and check for updates on:
Blog: ABC Blog | Arctic Bicycle Club
Twitter: ArcticBikeClub (@ArcticBikeClub) on Twitter
Facebook: Arctic Bike Club | Facebook
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »