mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Archangel and gold mint

I'm looking for a place to ride the rest of the week during this thaw. I'm Thinking the trails up high must be fairing a little better.

Are fat bikes welcome on these? I know there is some Nordic grooming that happens.

Moose range? I've never been there but wonder if it's doing ok in this melt.

FatBike Fiend
    alaskamatt,

Bikes are allowed on both Archangel and Gold Mint. The first two miles of Archangel has separated trails for motorized and nonmotorized uses then it turns into a single multiuse trail after the bridge. You'll probably see a lot of skiers because the lower elevation Government Peak Rec Area trails are closed due to the meltdown. Gold Mint is theoretically closed to motorized and it gets a lot of walkers so it's usually pretty bumpy for biking.

I rode the Moose Range two days ago and it was pretty good except for a lot of overflow on the swamp. Not sure how it is now, it's been pretty warm since then.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Archangel and gold mint

Thanks for the helpful info once again.

FatBike Fiend
    You welcome. I just heard the MatSu Ski Club is grooming Archangel this morning. They said there was a great base. I guess I'm heading up in an hour or so. Maybe see you up there.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Archangel and gold mint

That would have been fun. Ended up stuck at home with my little girl. Not a bad way to spend the day!
    On a good note it gave me the time and idea to find a way to hook up my pulk sled to my bike.

FatBike Fiend
    It was 33 degrees. MSSC did a fantastic grooming job. Nice firm base, could barely see my tracks until just before the bridge where it started to get a bit softer. Lots of skiers, everyone was friendly.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

is buachail foighneach me
    Skied and camped on Gold Mint this past Sunday/Monday. Should be rideable for at least the first two miles with some finesse, but it seemed like it would be a little soft beyond that. The snow off the sides of the trail is 5 to 6 feet deep, so expect it to take some effort to get back on from a dab. As of Monday afternoon, the only recent traffic beyond 2 miles were a couple of snowshoe-ers and our out and back ski tracks to about mile 6/7.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    With the soft snow conditions I haven't tried Archangel, I was up there lastnight doing a hill climb on my fat bike going right up the paved road to the A-frames. I saw the groomer working the Anchangel area after it got dark. With the snow and slush the way it is you could just work your legs on the paved roads, the vehicles up there are very polite to bikers. Most people I saw yesterday were giving me the thumbs up.

Once it firms up I need to ride back into the Archangel area and explore that, I've made it back in 2 or 3 miles but it got soft so I turned back.