Thread: Anything Dry?

Elitest thrill junkie

Anything Dry?

Just got back into town.

Kincaid Bluffs?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Jayem,

I suspect that the bluffs still have icy sections intermixed with mud. May try a recon run/hike out there this weekend. FWIW, I did a recon run/hike out at Kepler last weekend and it was 90% mud and 10% ice. IMO, still 4-6 weeks from any MTB action out there (if decent weather persists). I was leaning toward a bird to gird ride possibly this weekend. It may be the best dry option right now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherk View Post
    Jayem,

I suspect that the bluffs still have icy sections intermixed with mud. May try a recon run/hike out there this weekend. FWIW, I did a recon run/hike out at Kepler last weekend and it was 90% mud and 10% ice. IMO, still 4-6 weeks from any MTB action out there (if decent weather persists). I was leaning toward a bird to gird ride possibly this weekend. It may be the best dry option right now.
    Someone was telling me it was completely "dry" out at Kepler, but I seriously doubted the report based on what I know. Still, I can't think some places will be all that far off.

When I rode Kincaid last weekend there were several dry patches, but sections on the West end were getting a little soggy by mid-morning (was good to get out early). The stuff that's in the sun on the bluffs can't be too much longer IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Anyone try the gull rock trail outside of Hope recently?

mtbr member
    Some decent stuff here in Girdwood if you cherry pick a bit.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.
    -Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Kepler Bradley

I rode KB 2 weeks ago and here is my assessment:

Lake Loop Singletrack:

Dry and clear (ish). Mostly dry with an odd layer of frozen dirt/ice lurking below the surface. Interesting because there was plenty traction but there were sections that if you edged too hard you would hit the ice layer and slide. Rideable and fun.

Main Doubletracks:

Icy and messy with sections of dry/manageable riding.

Bearberry Flow trails:
    Terrible. Mostly solid ice. Ended up walking most of it. Studs mandatory. Even then, not recommended.

Mooseberry Mesa:

Mechanical issues turned me back before getting there. No Report.

Anything Dry?-img_0087.jpgAnything Dry?-kb1.jpgAnything Dry?-kb2.jpg
    -Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    May 2014

Anything Dry?

Rode the Crevasse Moraine loops and went along the long lake connector. I'd say 85% dry with areas that are sheer ice. These are the same areas that usually don't dry out until June during a normal spring.

I was still on my bike, even though I was laying on the ground, the bike was still between my legs when we came to a stop:

Most of the single track was dry, dusty even.

A lot of the low spots still had plenty of ice:

This is when I decided to turn back because I was running out of time and the snow-on-ice was not the funnest. This was the long lake end of the long lake connector.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I tried Winner Creek for the first time ever, was a great walk, not a whole lot of fun riding because of the ice. Also figured out the hard way that the tram is closed.

https://youtu.be/ITeC3PRVkEU
    Last edited by ePatrick; 03-13-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Trying to embed video of me eating ice with my face.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anyone been out to KB this week? It's been awfully warm and thinking about maybe taking a ride on the loops out there(minus Bearberry of course).

Elitest thrill junkie
    South Kincaid is 98% freaking awesome. About 5 bogs on Bowling Alley that can easily be walked-around. Rest is awesome. All of C$ is great. L train is great. Good Greef is great. Chalet is great. Mighty Bike is great. A couple more bogs on Kitchen Sink and the beginning (by the sink) is pretty bad. Please don't ride that section. Don't know about Tower Power, but it usually stays a little boggy later than others. The boggy sections on Bowling are super short and the majority of the trail is perfect hard DIRT.

mtbr member
    Anything Dry?-karate.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Jayem,

Thanks for the data. I was thinking that Kepler was an option this weekend and Kincaid was still off limits. Overall, it has been very dry so far this spring so I guess not all that surprising. I wonder how the North side is coming along? Seems like it should be drier given more exposure and better gravity drainage...although the trails are less mature. I'm chomping at the bit but don't want to do any damage to the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The FNBP trails are still too muddy for bikes. Some dry stretches of trail, but inevitable long mud bogs as well. Hard to imagine it will be dry enough until at least May 15, if not later. The view from the outer lot is deceptive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rode Kincaid last night it is in great shape no mud to speak of. If it rains I would not ride it, a little rain it will turn back to mud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Has anybody rode Resurrection from either side? I was thinking that the Cooper side might be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherk View Post
    Jayem,

Thanks for the data. I was thinking that Kepler was an option this weekend and Kincaid was still off limits. Overall, it has been very dry so far this spring so I guess not all that surprising. I wonder how the North side is coming along? Seems like it should be drier given more exposure and better gravity drainage...although the trails are less mature. I'm chomping at the bit but don't want to do any damage to the trails.
    North side still wet. The soil there is less sandy so it does not dry out nearly as fast.
    Latitude 61

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    Rode Kincaid last night it is in great shape no mud to speak of. If it rains I would not ride it, a little rain it will turn back to mud.
    There is still a lot of mud and bogs on the North side, Middle Earth, etc. I ventured out that way, walking around a few bogs, but just too muddy to ride yet.

A few muddy spots still on Bowling, but no more areas where you'll rut.

Tower Power has a few muddier places where you'd want to walk around.

Beginning of Kitchen Sink still has that bad bog.

Those will probably clear up in a few days, maybe a week for the North side stuff?

Despite a text to the opposite I got today, Hillside STA needs to dry out too. The text may have been referring to the trails around the airstrip, but I think they went out to the STA, which I explored this afternoon too. Walked nearly all the way up the initial part of the trail, then went a short ways on Queen Bee and decided to call it quits, too muddy. Same thing with Brown Bear, got a few feet in and hit some big bogs, not worth it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    Has anybody rode Resurrection from either side? I was thinking that the Cooper side might be good.
    That or Gull Rock is the million dollar Q.

mtbr member
    The reliable report I got from last weekend was the Gull was dry as a bone (usual wet spots) and Res was good until just beyond Caribou due to snow albeit a tad wetter.

mtbr member
    I rode Gull Rock with a few people last weekend. It is in fantastic shape. In regards to Kincaid, please stay out of the wet areas!! Walking or riding around the "bogs" blows the trail out, making it wider and wider. The same think happens around the gnarly root sections. You can see the trail getting wider every year because some people don't want to ride the roots.

Look for STA work parties to start around the fist week of May. See you all out there. Have fun!
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just walked most of the Hillside STA Trails. They are not quite ready. It won't be long if the rain holds off.
    I was draining some of the wet low spots starting from the bottom of Drone Lane. By the time I came back down Drone someone had already ridden through my work and F'd it up.
    Latitude 61

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I just walked most of the Hillside STA Trails. They are not quite ready. It won't be long if the rain holds off.
    I was draining some of the wet low spots starting from the bottom of Drone Lane. By the time I came back down Drone someone had already ridden through my work and F'd it up.
    Not surprised, some of the bogs on the North side of Kincaid seemed the same from my short exploratory and of course I checked out Hillside the day before. What kind of irks me is a friend said hillside was "good to go", I knew that wasn't right, so it's hard to know exactly how people make that leap of logic.

Anyway, did the Matanuska trails out with Phil on Saturday night and it was much the same as South Kincaid, mostly great and good to go, a couple little muddy spots on the road, but they weren't "rut the trail" bad at all, trails were generally excellent.

Gull Rock was great too, in fact, if you like the challenge of this ride, go ride it right now, because the end is going to be overgrown in just a couple weeks, I'm not kidding. Maybe I'll offer to do a group ride or something on Sat if the wx looks good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just checked the Hillside STA trails again this morning, still too wet in many places. Hopefully they will be OK by the weekend.
    Latitude 61

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I just checked the Hillside STA trails again this morning, still too wet in many places. Hopefully they will be OK by the weekend.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've received several reports the southside of Kincaid is good to go.

mtbr member
    Hillside STA good to go as of tonight. A few soft spots and the occasional muddy bit, but not more than the during the rainy season.

Rode Kinkaid - L-Train, Sandbox, Tower of Power. Berms on Tower of power are trashed and wet - stay off! Don't know about any of the rest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone been on the Russian Lakes trail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    North side of Resurrection is dry to at least Fox Creek (~12 mi). There were 9 trees down across the trail between Caribou Creek (~7 mi) and Fox Creek though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Rode Russian Lakes Sunday/Monday and it is clear of snow with the exception of a few avy paths that are short, to at least Upper Russian Lake. Has yet to be cleared of trees but only about 10 or so non the trail.

sluice box
    The trails out to Kink Glacier are as dry as they get. The water crossing are also very low as of yesterday. That can change quick with rain and warm weather.
    ptarmigan hardcore

Elitest thrill junkie
    Went up Res from the Hope side. Got within about 3-4 mi of the pass before the trail went to mush. Almost to the treeline. Last 2 mi or so to where I stopped were dry, but need to be packed down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just got back to town rode to about the same place just as you start into the open and turned around. But the trail up to that point is better than I have seen it in a long time. Pretty hot weather not used to that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rode Russian Lakes from Snug Harbor end to Cooper end on Saturday. Lots of patches of snow for the first couple of miles, and mostly fine in between patches. Then instantly fantastic.

DJ polished off the beer and decided to ditch the firewood here.
    Anything Dry?-p1020106.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Did Upper Russian from Cooper Landing. Fantastic trail conditions. Great ride.

ABC ride on the 11th, check FB/Meetup.

Members who have read this thread: 0