mtbr member

Anyone Interested in Forming a New Bike Racing/Riding Team?

Hey Alaska MTBeRs,

I'm trying to gauge interest in starting up a new bike racing/riding team here in southcentral AK. The emphasis would be on gathering together a good core of folks who like riding on dirt and snow, and even occasionally the road. The goals of the team would be to provide the framework for all members to develop their skills and provide support for each other for rides and races. The team would be open to riders of all abilities and racing would not be mandatory.

If you're interested or just want more info let me know and we can get the conversation started.

Cheers,
    I_H

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm interested, all i could bring to the table would be my amazing good looks but I love to ride and a riding team sounds fun.

mtbr member
    OK, that's a start! Let's see if we can find a few more folks now! For background, I have helped manage several competitive amateur race teams in Oregon, one of which I still ride for. However, I'm interested in getting a new Alaskan team started with local sponsors, and I'd like to focus on mountainbike and snow bike events.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are invited to the Chunk of Darkness!
    Check out the thread below.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer Rio, very tempting, but I'll be in Girdwood/Turnagain Pass that weekend taking an Avalanche class.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd be interested in giving this a go. My main problem is I work on Saturdays, so would mainly be available for Sundays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm bummed out there's not more interest in this Irie, I love to get out and ride and train with others, seems like it would be fun to support or get support at the races/rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im interested, although if all goes well, I will be on a team for the upcoming year. I do a lot of racing, or all kinds, MTB, CX, Snow, and pretty much every race there is on pavement

mtbr member
    I think it will just take some time to build momentum. I'm not looking for a massive team, just enough folks to have a good core of dedicated riders. And of course enough folks to reach our minimum on a kit order when the time comes!!

Wood chips are stupid

something different

I would be willing to bet a new team would go well. I think there are a lot of riders who,for whatever reason, do not feel the teams that are already out there will not have them or do not appeal to them. A new team that focused on incouraging young riders, had kits that fit "powerfully built" slow ones AND took care of the racer types as well would be pretty cool. Almost a family atmoshere. Be sure to include adult beverages for grownups and popcicles for the kids at the finish lines.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Nice AKDeluxe, you hit on a lot of what I'm thinking, especially the adult beverage part!! Seriously though, for me this is all about creating a team environment that is inclusive and works for a wide range of folks. Let's face it, we ride and race for fun, so let's make sure that is the number one goal. And of course, supplying enough adult beverages to manage our thirst after a hard race/ride! That is goal number 1A.

This idea seems to be gaining some momentum. I'm going to be speaking with some folks in the next week or so about potential sponsorships, and I'll report more once I've heard something good. In the mean time, if folks want to send me a message via email, I'll work on getting an email list/Google Group together to keep the communication flowing.

mtbr member
    OK, things are moving along quite well. We've got some good sponsors in place and a few more will be coming on board shortly. If anyone is interested in learning more about this, I'll be at the Icy River fat bike race in Eagle River this weekend. I'd be happy to meet any folks that are interested in riding on a team. Send me a message and we can figure out how to meet up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey all! Revolution Racing is having their first open team meeting for interested new members.

We are a race team that is looking to have a good time, develop our skills, socialize and just have a great time riding our bikes. Whether you're a hard core, train double digit hours or just a weekend warrior there is something in it for everyone! Pizza and drinks, opportunity to meet our bike shop sponsor and an opportunity to try on some of the sweet Castelli gear that we will run this year!

7:00pm April 9th
    The Bicycle Shop on Northern Lights next to Spenard Roadhouse
    1035 W. NORTHERN LIGHTS BLVD.

Thank you to EMC Engineering, The Bicycle Shop and Castelli for supporting our team this year!

Please RSVP via Private Message function on this website. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey Guys and Gals! Tomorrow is looking pretty good! We've got 14 RSVP's! Bring yo friends and your fam! Meet some of the crew and see if this whole bike race team thing might be up your alley! I'm planning on Moose's Tooth pizza! Don't forget! 7pm at The Bicycle Shop on Northern Lights. Let us know on this post or message me here!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Anyone Interested in Forming a New Bike Racing/Riding Team?-544780_10151544722349701_565500079_n.jpg

Anyone Interested in Forming a New Bike Racing/Riding Team?-541851_10151544721784701_652459309_n.jpg

Awesome first meeting!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey guys/gals! Nicholas Blades is leading a ride tomorrow morning from the Elmore Ballfields at 830am. He has an orange 9:zero:7 with blue pogies. This is a singletrack ride, probably about 14-15 miles in length.

See ya out there!

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Hey, i'm interested in this! I live around Wasilla, but I don't know how much i'll fit in, seeing as how I'm only doing XC and light AM stuff. I'm getting a KHS Alite 500 soon.