Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

anyone here ride Alyeska?

What is the summer terrain like? How much trail exists? Is it worth checking out, big bike, CC bike?
    Talk to me, homies!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    What is the summer terrain like? How much trail exists? Is it worth checking out, big bike, CC bike?
    Talk to me, homies!
    They had a DH thing going for a couple of years, but I think they nixed it last year. I think it was three DH trails they had? big bike terrain for sure.

Plenty of good riding in Anchorage and the Kenai, though. You coming?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    maybe next summer to check out some things. Just curious about the resort, with new ownership and from what I can tell far more vision...but I don't really know poop about the area. I figure if I can ride in Peru, The Tetons, Colorado, Utah, Austin, TX, Whistler/Van, and Alaska next year, I'll be on track.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    maybe next summer to check out some things. Just curious about the resort, with new ownership and from what I can tell far more vision...but I don't really know poop about the area. I figure if I can ride in Peru, The Tetons, Colorado, Utah, Austin, TX, Whistler/Van, and Alaska next year, I'll be on track.
    Let me know if you are comming and maybe we can hook up for a ride or at least send you in the right direction.

I don't think that Alyeska is got a ton of potential for biking, other than as a local atraction. Well, maybe as a basecamp to hit the Kenai peninsula rides?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Not a MTB destination

you can ride up the ski hill, but it is really steep in the summer and involves a lot of hiking. then coming down is so steep that you need a big bike that would be really hard to get up there. I don't even think you are technically allowed to ride up the mountain.
    Leaving from the base is the winner creek trail, which is good but pretty short.

OlTime XR500 JumpingChamp

Good job!

Man ,That would be so hot an area if they could expand over a few more glaciers...

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    i went up there last summer. rode from the gas station to the base of chair 3. hiked up to and passed chair 3. then turned around and rode down pass chair 3, 7 and to the hotel, hit this one trail back to the road, then rode back down to the gas station...
    this is top of chair 3... it was an AWESOME day...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

i drink shower water
    i cant wait to bike that ride when i get home. That is one of 3 rides on my MUST RIDE list.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

dude... the ride from the girdwood gas station the base of chair 3 was a killer itself... that pic of my bike, it was all stock at the time, but the 5050 pedals. i was rollin' on sticky rubber. in the dirt, they ROCK, but on pavement, they were like gum... then the hike up was crazy. that day was sunny and warm. about 70-75 degrees or so... a few people looked at me on the way down, but no one said anything. as i got to trail by the hotel that lead to the road, i saw a baby black bear around by a group of trees... CRAZY!!! i was thinkin' OH SH&T!!! were there's a baby, mom's not far behide... LOL!!!

Mr.Secret
    Got a call from a buddy last Sat. eve. and he suggested I should come down and ride Winner Creek / CPG Sno-cat trail up Notch Mtn. or Sunnyside Mtn.( Girdwood ). So Sunday I went with my fat Vicious T-Wing and rode / carried / rode as far as the Sno-cat goes up Notch Mtn, and I can say it was incredibly good. From the valley floor to the top of the trail puts you a bit higher than the Roundhouse on Alyeska.
    Last edited by R.T.R.; 02-10-2007 at 04:19 PM.

beer is good
    C'mon, Rick you know you can't post something like that without
    any pictures!...Get with it, man.
    Also sounds like a great ride
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Mr.Secret
    Ok Steve here you go. You can see this trail on an aerial view from : www.chugachpowderguides.com click on Snowcat skiing and scrowl down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ologist
    Heard through the grapevine that the freeride/downhill park at Hilltop will finally be built this summer after a couple of years of back and forth. I think it is still Hilltop and the muni putting it together.

it would be nice to have something like that up here... we'll just have to wait an see...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Ologist
    I heard it from a friend whose friend, a soon to be former employee of the Bicycle shop, has been approach this winter to line out a bunch of details for summer construction.

Thats all I know. I heard similar last summer so I could be just keeping rumours alive. I would think that you, as a mtb rider and Hilltop employee, would know if it is true though?

i drink shower water
    i dont understand why ski areas would not run the lifts for bikes. helps your pay the bills over the summer. i hope this happens.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

We the people ...

every job i've worked at, the employee's are always the last to know...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:25 PM.