FatBike Fiend

Anybody else have a problem...

with ad copy/press releases like this one. Not to diminish Rocky's glory but it should be duly noted that Peter Basinger of Anchorage shared the honor in a tie.

(Quote:

Syntace rider Rocky Reifenstuhl wins toughest 2006 Iditarod Trail Invitational!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fairbanks, Alaska - Negative 15 degrees Fahrenheit, snowy, icy trails, dehydration, and strong winds made the 2006 Iditarod Invitational the most difficult yet!

Syntace rider Rocky Reifenstuhl won the 350 mile icy, snowy race in 4 days and 17 hours, using Syntace LowRider Carbon bars and F-99 stem. With a 50% drop out rate this year Rocky hung tough pushed on and let his riding do the talking. When your 300 miles away from civilization you have to trust your equipment, thatís why Rocky chooses Syntace.

ďI enjoyed having your components on my winning race bike. 350 miles is a long way and light and strong is the way to go!!Ē Thanks Rocky

Source:
    Craig Hoyt
    US Sales Manager
    Syntace USA
    (p)618.395.6377 x229
    (c)618.838.7943
    (f)618.395.4711
    www.syntaceusa.com
    Attached Images

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by bustamove : 1 Day Ago at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a problem with that! What a lying slime ball. He only finished because I dragged his butt in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

those who care

Everyone who cares knows the truth, Pete. Rocky will just have to sneak around hoping he doesn't meet one of us and have to explain. That's called creating your own private hell!
    Pat

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'm going home and burning the Syntace bullhorns tonight!

Beware of Doggerel

my thoughts

I donít have too much of a problem with the press release. I mean its all spin, but who takes press releases seriously anyway.

I do think that Pete deserves some sort of recognition for what he did. I mean it is really easy for us mid packers to band together and help each other out and stuff, we donít have much to lose. But I think it is different for the front runners. No one would really think less of Pete for leaving Rocky out there and not helping, but it would absolutely not be the ďrightĒ thing to do. And to steal a line from Pat I think everyone who cares is really impressed with Pete not riding away. I know I am. Its one of those things that we all would like to think we would do but arenít really sure that we would. I mean if I had a chance to win the race and in the last 25 miles came across another racer who needed my help, Iíd like to think that I would help them, but also at that level of competition there really is nothing wrong with riding on by, (if you are reasonably sure they will survive) and then sending a snowmachine out for him later. I mean, sitting here at my home computer, its obvious that another persons safety is more important than any race but in the heat of the moment I donít know if I would have been as clear headed and sportsman like as Pete and thatís what really impresses me. Iím more impressed with that than the win itself. So there ! This post is my public pat on the back for Pete.

I donít really have a problem with Syntaceís (or Rockyís) spin on it. This is the kind of thing I expect from a press release (and people who have sponsors to satisfy). I do have a problem with Pete not getting some public recognition for what happened out there. I was more bothered by that daily news story that ran after the Race than the press release. Afterall this is the most interesting story of the race and it was sort of glossed over in the ADN.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Syntace rider Rocky Reifenstuhl won the 350 mile icy, snowy race in 4 days and 17 hours, using Syntace LowRider Carbon bars and F-99 stem. With a 50% drop out rate this year Rocky hung tough pushed on and let his riding do the talking. When your 300 miles away from civilization you have to trust your equipment, thatís why Rocky chooses Syntace.
    Craig (or Crystal) at Syntace only write what their riders tell/send them. 99.9% chance that they have no clue what really happened out there.

If Rocky were half a man he'd not be spewing anything about 'winning' anything. He'd be publicly thanking Pete for having saved his hypothermic, bonked, calorie deprived and unprepared (as always) ass out there. He'd be vowing that (if he's ever allowed to race the ITI again) he'll have a damn sleeping bag and the sense to know when to use it. And then he'd be telling his sponsors that he tied the race after having his sorry hand held the last 30+ miles to the finish. Step up, Rocky. Lots of people would like to give you some credit, whether you deserve it or not.

Sheesh.

The link to this thread has been sent to Craig at Syntace.

MC

Wood chips are stupid

Good for you Pete

I am glad Pete did what he did. I never really thought much of him until then.
    Even though he has absolutly no sense of humor, Pete knows the right thing to do. That says a lot. Can I ride on your handlebars next year Pete?
    Adam, remind me to never do a winter race you are in. You are way to competitive.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Beware of Doggerel
    [QUOTE=mikesee]Craig (or Crystal) at Syntace only write what their riders tell/send them. 99.9% chance that they have no clue what really happened out there.

Interesting. I didnít realize how these things work. I have no problem with Syntace, or any manufacture making a strong pitch for its products, but I assumed they knew at least some of the story. Itís their job to show their products in the best possible light, so some spin is to be expected is okay by me. But if the sponsor is being mislead by its rider and the press release amounts to nothing more than unrestrained boasting then that is a whole other problem.
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    I really appreciate the fact that all the people that matter or care know the truth, and that Rocky has to live with himself, but it just really bugs me when I see something that calls him the first place finisher where at the very least there should be a mention of a tie. Calling him the winner implies that I am not, and thatís simply not fair.
    I worked may butt off in that race not to mention the time spent training and making the money to cover the entry fee. Allot of effort goes into just getting to the start of that race. It stinks that I have to see Rocky claim a victory that was dependent on me giving up my race and caring for him along the trial. I walked for miles along that trail were I could have ridden, trying to go as slow as possible, stopping numerous times to wait for him. I donít regret it at all, there is no question that you stay with someone in need, but anybody with an ounce of class would have conceded the win to me based on what happened out there, or at least he should put some of this energy that he is using for self-promotion into thanking and acknowledging me.
    If I were writing up the Syntace press release I admit that Iíd probably write it the same way, I mean itíd be a pretty lame, convoluted press release to explain the whole tie thing. I bet Rocky didnít go into much more detail than how he won when talking to Syntace anyway. I have no problem with Syntace.
    If only these companies knew what kind of person they were associating themselves withÖ but really, in the end nobody cares that much.

P

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey Everyone!
    First off let me say I am VERY SORRY to you all especially Pete Basinger! I have gotten many many phone calls and emails from his fans telling me what happened. And I think we can all agree that Pete is a great athlete and a great person! But I also have to say that Rocky had NOTHING to do with the press release. I take responsibility for writing and distributing the releases. I have asked Forrest to change the release that I put out and it should be changed soon, I wanted to give Pete credit for the tie.
    I also want to say thank you to all of you that understand that a press release is to promote my riders and the Syntace product. I also must say when I wrote the relsease I was on a business trip and from the proof I did not have all of my information correct, so again sorry fans and sorry Pete! I understand you (Pete) are a great person and very deserving of the win.
    I hope you can all understand and forgive me for my mistake. Again, Rocky had nothign to do with this, it was all me and I understand Pete is a great racer who cares about more than just winning.

Thank you,
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Lame Explanation

Skippy - your explanation is lame. How much information does it take to know that there was a tie? There was not a single report of Rocky "winning" in any publication other than yours stating such a thing. The race updates on the sponsor's website made it clear what happened - where were you? Who cares if you were on business trip - do you stop reading or checking the web? Do you not talk to your riders? Why didn't Rocky call in to set it straight? What kind of bs marketing is that? And, whoopee, you are going to have your sidekick straighten it out "pretty soon." Wow, that is impressive, changing the press release months after the story is hot - I am sure that will be headline news. Good going Skippy, what a stand up guy you are. Sorry, but I will be avoiding your products like the plague.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hi Stroganof,
    Again I can only say sorry so many times. But one thing is Forrest is not my side kick Forrest runs MTBR and I have asked him to repost my release on this site. I have no excuse for not getting all the facts, yes the situation is lame you are right. But it is what it is and I know that. But a press release is a press release and Rocky did TIE for the win. It is my job to promote Syntace products, and that is what I did.
    I in no way wanted to take anything away from Pete but it is not for me to promote him. Though from what I understand he would be a great person to have on the team as is/was Mike C.
    I really dont know what to say or how to fix this. The press release is being changed and Pete will get credit. There is no reason to attack me and no reason to attack the product, I am trying to fix this. I am sorry to all of Pete's fans.
    I plan to call Pete today and try to talk to him, I tried to email him through MTBR but it will not go through, so Pete if you read this please get in touch with me.

Thanks and again sorry.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

Wood chips are stupid

Skippy

I forgive you.

akdeluxe

JT

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

SWAGger

Uh, can I get a free set of Syntace bullhorns...I burned my others in a fit of rage

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hi Stroganof,
    Again I can only say sorry so many times. But one thing is Forrest is not my side kick Forrest runs MTBR and I have asked him to repost my release on this site. I have no excuse for not getting all the facts, yes the situation is lame you are right. But it is what it is and I know that. But a press release is a press release and Rocky did TIE for the win. It is my job to promote Syntace products, and that is what I did.
    I in no way wanted to take anything away from Pete but it is not for me to promote him. Though from what I understand he would be a great person to have on the team as is/was Mike C.
    I really dont know what to say or how to fix this. The press release is being changed and Pete will get credit. There is no reason to attack me and no reason to attack the product, I am trying to fix this. I am sorry to all of Pete's fans.
    I plan to call Pete today and try to talk to him, I tried to email him through MTBR but it will not go through, so Pete if you read this please get in touch with me.

Thanks and again sorry.
    It would be nice to let Rocky "clear" his name. You know, issue a new press release saying that after reading the first one, Rocky told you that the release was wrong, he shared the first place finish with Pete... matter of fact I wouldn't have done it without his help, yada, yada, yada... Because I am sure that when he hears about this, he will want to give Pete credit for his help.

It seems like you made a mistake -hey, who hasn't!- and you want to make things right, but because of your mistake not only did Pete get no credit, but Rocky's name has gotten somewhat tainted and I think the best way to clear all up -Rocky's name and give Pete what he deserves- is to issue a new release explaining what really happened.

No I don't know Rocky and I only know Pete as a mechanic at Paramount, but it seems unfair that, if Rocky didn't have anything to do, he is going to end up being AK most hated for nothing.

Beware of Doggerel
    [QUOTE=pbasinger]"I really appreciate the fact that all the people that matter or care know the truth, and that Rocky has to live with himself, but it just really bugs me when I see something that calls him the first place finisher where at the very least there should be a mention of a tie. Calling him the winner implies that I am not, and thatís simply not fair".

Your right. The more I think about it the more I realize that these press releases don't target "the people who know the truth". They target the general consumer who may never look at the race website or results. The fact that most folks that were out there consider you the winner, and better person, really rings hollow when someone else runs around reaping the benefits of the win before the general public.

"It stinks that I have to see Rocky claim a victory that was dependent on me giving up my race and caring for him along the trial."

That's what really bothers me about the whole thing. There is really no excuse for this sort of thing happening in the front of the race. I mean it shouldn't happen anywhere, but if someone in 8th place decides to wait for the guy in 9th place, well who cares? But at the front it should be all racing. Of course you should have no regrets about this you did the right thing, the problem is that it appears he was so far gone and unprepared that you had no real choice but to give up your race. I just don't understand how he could allow this to happen, when it seems so obviously preventable. Gear for a safe bivy, or more rest at Nikolia would have allowed you to ride on by and leave him safely on his own. The rules of the race are simple, you need to take care of yourself, period end of story. This was a self created emergency and that's the real problem. As far as I am concerned he broke the rules and cheated his way to a tie. I'm not the most competitive guy out there and I've never run with the front runners but it just seems that at that level, you should be able to race freely against each other. Short of something like a broken leg you should be able to take care of yourself and not mess up someone else's race for the win. We all rely on each other out there for UNEXPECTED emergencies. But to purposely put yourself into an emergency and force another racer to slow down and then claim victory, well that's just cheating plain and simple.

Adam

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I am Sorry

I dont really know what more I can do about this, the reason I am trying not to drag Rocky into this is because he had nothing to do with it. I was out of town did a press release it was my fault not his. I have said sorry, I have done another press release (thoug its not up yet), and I have given Pete as much credit as I can.

I am sorry, I messed up and should have had all the facts first. It was a tie, and a Syntace rider was one of those riders that won for the tie.

I feel terrible guys and I hope in NO way that Rocky gets blamed for this or is held responsible.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    I dont really know what more I can do about this, the reason I am trying not to drag Rocky into this is because he had nothing to do with it. I was out of town did a press release it was my fault not his. I have said sorry, I have done another press release (thoug its not up yet), and I have given Pete as much credit as I can.

I am sorry, I messed up and should have had all the facts first. It was a tie, and a Syntace rider was one of those riders that won for the tie.

I feel terrible guys and I hope in NO way that Rocky gets blamed for this or is held responsible.

I for one have no real problem with the press release. Mistakes were made. The problem I have is that I believe that Pete was treated poorly on the race course, and its just not fair. I would guess that a lot of folks feel that way and you guys (Syntace) are caught in the crossfire. Pete is a hell of a nice guy and honest as the day is long, in my opinion. I have no reason to doubt his version of what happened out there. And what he has descirbed above goes against everything I love about this type of racing.

Adam

Are you talking to me?

Where is Rocky?

I feel that Rocky really needs to get on top of this. At some point he saw Syntace's press release, and did not do the right thing then. Period. He could have stood up, and admitted to his sponsors what happened.

If Rocky was racing without the required equipment, he should have been disqualified anyways. (IMO)

Pete, you did the right thing. Never regret it. You won the race in my eyes, if it helps any.

Rocky, if you are reading this, you really need to man up, and start talking about this issue.
    gfy

I'm from Utah
    This is a really interesting thread. I'm a "fan" who followed the web check-in postings diligently during the Invitational, and it's great to hear the backstory. I figured when the frontrunners ended the race in a tie, they must have been good friends, but this dosen't seem to be the case. Seems like Pete won the most important battle.

Also, Skip, as long as you're going to spend more time checking the facts in the future, maybe you could do all the reporters you send your press release to a little favor by spending more time on punctuation. Sorry, but the release reads like it's being spewed out during an out-of-breath phone call.

mtbr member
    Wow! Thanks for all the support guys.
    Today I got a call at work from Skip to apologize about the mistake. Thatís pretty cool. He obviously cares and has taken the steps to correct the mistake. Apology accepted. The fact that he has taken the time to post on here and take criticism from people says a lot about Syntace and Skip.

Please donít contact American Classic about this, Iím only posting it to show that this isnít a Syntace thing, the common factor is the guy reporting results to his sponsors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    On the contrary, please DO contact AC. This is all pretty sickening.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Are you talking to me?

I think so too.

I think the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Rocky, what were you thinking? Alaska is way too small to go ahead with the bu#$%@%.
    gfy

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I think the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Rocky, what were you thinking? Alaska is way too small to go ahead with the bu#$%@%.
    Well, I just sent an e-mail to American Classic to tell them that I was disappointed to see that their add was missleading. I told them they should at least say that Rocky didn't take first place but tie for that possition.

Are you talking to me?

What e-mail address?

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    Well, I just sent an e-mail to American Classic to tell them that I was disappointed to see that their add was missleading. I told them they should at least say that Rocky didn't take first place but tie for that possition.

I am thinking about dropping them a line also.....
    gfy

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I am thinking about dropping them a line also.....
    Their website's contact us section lists
    sales@amclassic.com

That's the one I used.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Please donít contact American Classic about this, Iím only posting it to show that this isnít a Syntace thing, the common factor is the guy reporting results to his sponsors.
    The ironic part (among many) about the AC ad is that it didn't hit -40 during this year's race. If it had, Pete most likely wouldn't have been able to do much for Rocky, other than send help back from McGrath.

Pete: finish the damn story. Sniping him here is only eroding your own credibility.

MC

Wood chips are stupid

Good grief

This thread sucks. Get a life.

akdeluxe

JT

FatBike Fiend

Wow

Now don't hold back, tell me what you really think Sorry didn't intend for this thread to become a flame war. Would like to know what really happenedout there on the trail though. Should make for a great grudge match next year.

KuskoRiverCruiser

Alaskans Look Bad....

Alaskans should be concerned...this is an issue of character and reflects on the race scene, sponsored athletes and every rider here in Alaska...truths need to be told...and quick.

Anyone who takes donations from sponsors has a very serious responsibility to follow-up with concise, timely and complete information...doesn't matter if it's DuPont or the smallest vendor...it's also the sponsors responsibility to do their homework too! No excuses!

Either way...a few folks' 'Kharma-bank' is going to be affected.

Bummer!

ML

Thanks for bringing it out Mr. Fatbike...get my PM Pete!
    Martin
    "The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work",
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/