mtbr member

AMTBR - random thoughts

Figured we could get a local thread like this going on the forum for random questions that don't really need there own thread found it really helpful in a lot of other forums.

Edit title should be Ak mtbr

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Is the pee still on the trails in the summer time after the snow has melted?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Haha no it evaporated and your drinking it as we speak. ; p

mtbr member
    Trunk bike racks does anyone use them for downhill bikes and if I put 2 on there will it hold them or will it be to much weight?

Bikes are good
    Most of those racks are pretty much crap, and I wouldn't put a $2k bike on them, let alone 2. Since a dh bike weighs 40+ pounds, you are asking it to carry 80-90 lbs. I wouldn't put my bike on that. Look into what you can do to the roof to make it capable of using a roof rack.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Alright I did and it was 550 for the whole set up from rei. Was even thinking maybe a hitch rack but with the roof rack I could put the kayaks back on top.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm partial to hitch racks, but either way it's a good investment. Trunk racks will screw up your car over time, or really quick with two downhill bikes hanging off. There are a couple good ones (Saris Bones 4-arm), but they are meant as a temporary solution and not to be used constantly, they are also expensive ($150 or more) considering all of this and that trunks were not meant to support that weight. The newer "tray-style" trunk racks are the worst idea IMO, it's that much MORE weight hanging off the trunk, just not a good idea.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Re: AMTBR - random thoughts

AMTBR - random thoughts-uploadfromtaptalk1396923660939.jpgAMTBR - random thoughts-uploadfromtaptalk1396923672556.jpgAMTBR - random thoughts-uploadfromtaptalk1396923683203.jpg

Went for a short ride today little muddy (lots) nice to get out and try the new status it is a dh bike haha never again will I attempt to bike up debar and Boniface hill on it lol.

mtbr member
    Heard that a lot of dh riders spend time at hatchers pass anyone on here can conform or deny this and if so when does normal riding start

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    There's a new downhill"ish" shuttle run.

It's a mellow flowy downhill for about 1.28 miles, built specifically for bikes. But...It's not officially open yet, and after last years fall, it needs time to be completed.

Expect full opening mid July 2014.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikePalmer View Post
    There's a new downhill"ish" shuttle run.

It's a mellow flowy downhill for about 1.28 miles, built specifically for bikes. But...It's not officially open yet, and after last years fall, it needs time to be completed.

Expect full opening mid July 2014.
    Any plans for added DH style features from last year? It was XC/trail bike material when I checked it out last year. Has serious potential!

If I didnt have a pickup truck, this is what I would have hands down. Every person in BC who is shuttling a DH bike to and from Whistler on 99 sports one of these. I have seen 6-8 DH bikes on the back of a Subaru before.

North Shore Bike Racks

Bikes are good
    Those racks are bomb proof for sure, but they don't ship out of Canada last I checked. Our friend in Whitehorse runs one off the back of his truck, and shuttles up the nastiest road. Bikes don't move, and somehow don't get knocked off by the huge rocks we drive over.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I wouldn't classify it as a DH run either, but it's certainly not a XC trail by most riders standards.

You're not going to see development of a public use DH trail until someone is willing to pony up 250-500K in construction and ongoing maintenance costs.

Land managers are willing to install one way trails, flow trails, berms, jumps, hips, etc....but you're not going to see a trail with a continuous grade over 15-25%. Alyeska is your best bet.

mtbr member

Re: AMTBR - random thoughts

AMTBR - random thoughts-uploadfromtaptalk1398903352529.jpg