Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.

Hi all I thought it might be time to update the thread for Alyeska as the old one was getting a bit long and outdated.

DH is in full swing here at Alyeska and we've had great turnout since our opening day on July 4th. Jake and Tony have been hard at it building and maintaining the trails and we're always looking for feedback from the riders out there. There is a fleet of Kona's at the Daylodge from both this season and last availiable for rent. We have a special running on Friday's that includes a half price bike rental for a half-day (3pm - 6pm) when you buy a bike lift ticket and free one-hour familiarization tour of the Bike Park. Fridays at 1pm only. Open to anyone. Check Alyeska's website for more info Alaska Downhill Mountain Bike Park | Alyeska Resort

Burntski and I will do what we can to answer any questions you all have and relay any feedback or suggestions to the crew.

Thanks!
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    Enduro/Criterium at Alyeska. Details here. Mtn Bike Criterium Race
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member

Elitest thrill junkie
    Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.-gedc0166s.jpgAlyeska Resort feedback and updates.-gedc0164s.jpgAwesome stuff, loved the impromptu (for me) Enduro race today! Great trails and that rain really made the rest of the day and trails awesome.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bikes are good

Yeah. Nice work and keep it up.

Spent Friday there, and had a blast. Best experience there so far. Jumps are good, nice feature on the bottom of chair 3 with the jump line and wood work rollover. Keep it coming. Cliff drop off the rocks under 4 on anyone's mind?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The conditions at Alyeska were at an all time best over the weekend, so incredibly dry. The trail crew's work raking out Tanaka, Gear Jammer and Bermuda made the trails very buff and fast.

mtbr member
    Echo'n what everyone else has to say. Amazing job with the trails and the new features, and especially the new trail to the left off Rollover. Xtra Tuff buffed out very well, and just about everything else in between. Amazing difference between July 4th weekend to now.

Looking forward to next weekend, and the races!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    might hit this up on sunday, any suggestions for an aleyeska noob?

mtbr member
    Chest cam footage from Sunday. Trails were awesome!

Alyeska Bike Park July 13th - YouTube

mtbr member
    Munky,
    Few suggestions for ya. If your renting a bike and the weather is good you might want to get to the Daylodge earlier rather than later so you have more selection and availability. We have been renting out of bikes on the nice days. Not sure what your DH experience is, but a lesson would be a good way to cover the basics and learn the trails. Chair 3 is a good place to start and get the feel for things. Lots of fun shorter trails. After your warmed up on chair 3 and the arm pump tapers off head up to Chair 4 and try waterfall to Tanaka grasslands. My favorite lap off of chair 4 is highway to gear jammer, burmuda, race trail, caution trees, and then out rock monster. Hope you have fun on the hill!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey thanks for all the info! ill be bringing my own bike. how much is a lesson?

mtbr member
    Munky this should tell ya what you need to know. Alaska Downhill Mountain Bike Park | Alyeska Resort

What kind of bike are you bringing? Reason I ask is that if it's a hardtail or XC type full suspension you will have fun but struggle on some of the more difficult trails. The harder trails have drop offs (roots, rocks) that will try to pitch you if your frame geometry is XCish. I have a Santa Cruz Nomad (6.5" travel) that I ride sometimes here and while I can get down all the trails ok it's not nearly as confidence inspiring (or fun) as on a dedicated DH rig with slack geometry. Definetly something to consider. We do half price DH bike rentals (with purchase of a lift ticket) on Friday's starting at 3pm. It rained here last night so the dirt should be great this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Munky this should tell ya what you need to know. Alaska Downhill Mountain Bike Park | Alyeska Resort

What kind of bike are you bringing? Reason I ask is that if it's a hardtail or XC type full suspension you will have fun but struggle on some of the more difficult trails. The harder trails have drop offs (roots, rocks) that will try to pitch you if your frame geometry is XCish. I have a Santa Cruz Nomad (6.5" travel) that I ride sometimes here and while I can get down all the trails ok it's not nearly as confidence inspiring (or fun) as on a dedicated DH rig with slack geometry. Definetly something to consider. We do half price DH bike rentals (with purchase of a lift ticket) on Friday's starting at 3pm. It rained here last night so the dirt should be great this weekend.
    my bike is a 13 giant trance x2. It's got 5" front and rear.. figured I would try it with this before I jump into a dedicated dh bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    any news on where the DH race will be on the MTN??

mtbr member

Alyeska DH Series

Quote Originally Posted by turborobo View Post
    any news on where the DH race will be on the MTN??
    Good Morning Turbo! We are planning on the race to be a 2 run (combined time) event on the BCQ trails. First run will be on the Big Spruce alignment and finish thru the bottom jump (middle) line. The second run will be on Roll Over and will finish thru the twin towers jumps just above the Sitz Deck. Please register at Daylodge between 11 & 2 and the event will kick off at 3. Every one will make their first run, then we move the timing from Big Spruce to Roll Over and every one has their 2nd run. Entry is the lift ticket you buy or if you have a pass, you can register w/ the pass. Those of you under 18, please remember that "The Man" requires us to get a signed waiver from your folks before we let you run for the glory.
    Call w/ any additional questions
    754-2283
    Burntski
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Huge turnout today for the race and riding on the mountain! Wanted to say thanks to Burntski and all the crew for putting on such a kickass event. Definitely looking forward to the August Race!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Flew up on 7/12 and had a couple days at the lifts. The mountain is better than last year for sure. I just wanted to see some more jumps in the mid/upper mountain sections. I was stoked to see the bigger A lines and such on the lower half. I loved the technical trails like gear jammer and alike but found some of the black trails missing a few big hits. I would love to see a jump trail that starts higher up and continues thru the park at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Thanks for coming up for another park session simpterfex! We have been focusing on maintaining the trails that we have already constructed over the last few years. However, new features are starting to pop up. Please keep in mind that some areas of the park are still snow covered at the end of June, so trail building gets started a little later than one would think. Jake and his small crew are working to improve what's already in the ground and looking to make the enhancements that keep riding fresh and exciting for all of our park riders. Thanks for the visit & feedback. See you next season!
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Did you guys advertise your "Bikefest" other than word of mouth or local bikeshops? Would of been nice to see it in here somewhere instead of hearing about it threw the grapevine.

Alyeska needs a facebook page, not Alyeska Resort, or Alyeska Aerial Tramway. I know you have the homepage, but that is not enough if your looking to get people on the lifts.

You guys have a bikepark on your property, a legit page like Alyeska Bike Park would be nice, followed up with pics, vids, maybe even an instagram account or twitter updated regularly. Embrace social media for what it is, and grow the community.

Mimic Whistler, and other successful venues, copy their ideas, and learn from their experiences and you will have riders beating down the doors rain or shine to ride the trails.

I know were not a Whistler type venue, here is an example.

Whistler Mountain Bike Park - Whistler, BC, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/WhistlerBikePark

https://twitter.com/WhistlerBikePrk

WhistlerMountainBikePark on Pinkbike

Bikes are good
    Or snow or shine

I agree. I was just poking around on the Whistler pages and the stoke they have there. It would be cool to see some videos/pictures, carnage, etc from Alyeska.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What are the conditions at Alyeska? Snow line? We plan on being there this weekend for the DH race. Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's supposed to be warmer this week. It wasn't much accumulating on the mountain, so there's a good chance it will melt off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    And just to put it out there...DH race next weekend! Lock up your daughters, lock up your wife, lock up your back door and run for your lives!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This may be a stupid question but are you allowed to go in the trails without having to pay a lift ticket. Of course u cant use the lifts to get up but I guess my question is basically is it free to ride in the trails where you are able to climb the bike yourself?

Bikes are good
    I'd bet, absolutely not.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not sure about bikes but you are definitly free and encouraged to hike the mountain in summer without paying. The policy is actually that you can get a free gondola ride back down to the hotel if you hike/run yourself up the mountain.

mtbr member
    Anyone know the season pass prices for this year yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Moved up from CO in May, and rode Alyeska for the first time later last summer. Here's my $0.02: I'd like to see some trails that are less consistently steep.. I love steep sections, but when the whole thing is steep you can never get off your brakes and really open things up. Its OK to make DH trails that aren't 100% straight down . It looks like the newer trails being put in are better about this though, especially on the far east side of the mountain.

For me, the ideal trail would have really speedy sections, some fast and slow tech, and some good table-top jumps thrown in there.

Looks like a great start so far though, and I look forward to seeing it evolve!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I didn't think the trails were overly steep, no steeper than the trails at Northstar and other places, what you may be asking for is a few more intermediate trails from the top, as advanced ones tend to be steeper. It's a steep mountain BTW. Getting up a little higher on the upper mountain adds some more variety to this, as there are a few "less steep" ones up there.

Bikes are good
    I see what skinny is saying. Alyeska is a very steep mountain though, in most places. However, there are places to put trail in that can utilize the less steep stuff and throw in tables/berms/flow that you can keep your speed up for. Buff it out so you don't get rattled to death kind of trail. I'm thinking A-line in Whistler actually. A trail like that on Mt. Alyeska would be even cooler than the Whistler one. In time, I'm sure it will be there. I hope.

mtbr member

The feedback and suggestions are very much appreciated. The silver tip trail, once buffed in a bit further and drainage tweaked, will hopefully become more flowing. The terrain definitely lends itself to building challenges for the crew. Drainage is a huge hurdle with 20" of rain in a month. Other things we have to contend with are the location of underground utilities, hiker/biker separation, snowmaking utilities, and the big one....budget. Keep in mind whistler has a significantly larger population to pull from and a much much larger operations and construction budget. We try and use every dollar as best we can to try and make the riding fun and challenging to as many folks as possible. Operating, staffing, fueling, and maintaining all the prices to the puzzle is always a balancing act. I'd be happy to meet up for a lap on the hill (or beer at the sitz) and hear about your experience on the trails.

On a side note we are having an on snow DH race this Sunday (check the Facebook page for more details) Registration is free to pass and ticket holders and $10.00 for non. Course will be mostly run on the big spruce trail.

Sent from headquarters.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Sweet!

Bikes are good
    I'm so stoked there is a park there at all. Years ago when a trail crew dug in a rough, steep, gnarly couple of runs down Tanaka area, I thought it was the coolest thing. Even though it broke my friends' arm in half. What you guys have going there now is very cool. It inspired a dh bike purchase.

Is chair 6 going to run this year?

mtbr member

Chair 6 will indeed run this year. It'll start later in the season as conditions permit. Things should melt out pretty quick this year. We don't have any large scale construction projects so there will be very few (if any) closure areas. Due to budget we will be splitting up the bike tray carriers between Ted's express (ch4) and Glacier Bowl Express (GBX/ch4) so the spacing will be slightly larger. But it will still be waaaaay faster than any other way to the top. The trail crew is starting work on June 1st and we'll be opening on June 27th.

Sent from headquarters.

Bikes are good
    Rad. Can't wait. Season pass info? How much are those puppies going to be?

mtbr member
    Season pass 250$

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Somebody may have a perfect alyeska bike for sale. That person may or may not be me.

mtbr member

Re: Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    Somebody may have a perfect alyeska bike for sale. That person may or may not be me.
    Might have a friend interested what's the details

mtbr member
    Whats the tentative plan on the race series this year?

mtbr member
    We have an opening at Alyeska for a hiking and biking trail crew member. If you love swinging a Pulaski, brush cutting, chain sawing, and raking we should talk. Bonus points for skid steer, dozer, and mini-excavator experience. 4-10 schedule and bike pass included along with hourly salary (to be discussed). PM me if you think you'd be a good fit or know someone who would be interested.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Alyeska Trail Conditions

Big Sky Guy,

How are the trails looking? How much has thawed out?

mtbr member

ANC, Chair 4 down is melted out and some sections are riding good. There is still some patches of snow scattered about in the shady spots and snow melt still has things soft and tender in places. The top of chair 6 is still pretty deep. I was up with a snowcat trying to push out the road to the top but it needs a bit more help from Mother Nature still. Sign line, silver tip, and the Fridays still have patches of snow that'll need to melt before we can get to work on them. I bet July and they'll be ready. Gear jammer down is mostly dry and should shape up well by opening.

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member

Re: Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.

Bikes are good
    What's the word on Chair 6 riding this year? There are some fun sections up there, and so much potential for jump lines and some flow runs. I daydream a lot.

My DH rig is almost done. 8 years ago, I wanted this thing but had no justification until the Alyeska bike park was born. Really, can't freaking wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.-dhr-2.jpg  

Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.-dhr-1.jpg  

mtbr member

Elf, first off, sweet build. That bike looks really fun. As far as chair 6 goes we're shooting for having it by June 27 but it's really dependent on snowmelt and I'd wager it'll be more like July 4th(ish) before it's melted out and ride ready up there. We had to tear down the bobcat jumps to put in a snow machine corridor this past winter (insurance company requirement) but we're going to put the bigger features up in glacier bowl (top of ch6). The soil up there is glacial till and really conducive to building features, it also drains really well. There are a bunch of natural spines and ridges already in place and I envision some fun wedgie hits along with some step up/downs and transfers. Myself and the other mtn mgmt wants to put in a pump track in the middle parking lot as well, but we'll have to see how we're sitting for gravel once all the ch3 features get built. The hiking, biking, and snow surfaces crews start the 15th (labor budgets are fun!) and they will have a lot of work to get done prior to opening. Chair 4 down is the focus and we'll work our way towards the top as the snow melts. See ya on opening weekend!

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Heh, I fondled your new bike yesterday. Looks sweet I'm jealous.

Bikes are good
    I hope you wore a condom. I think I'm picking it up today. I need to sell my truck, house, and dogs first though.

mtbr member
    Im willing to throw 15 bucks in gas when it opens next weekend if anybody would be willing to let me ride with them down and back.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just did my pregame yesterday at Trestle, soooo much fun.

mtbr member
    How are things shaping up? Chair 4 & 6 open?

mtbr member
    Howdy No Joke! The Alyeska Bike Park is shaping up quite nicely! The park will open on Friday (and all weekend) with Bear Cub Quad and Ted's Express (3&4) Spinning from Noon to 6. We expect to have Glacier Bowl Express (6) spinning the following weekend. See you this weekend! Burntski
    Burntski

mtbr member
    I'll be there Saturday can't wait to break in the new bike

mtbr member
    We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another season season of thrills! See you Saturday!
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is the mountain going to be ready by Friday? Drove down there over the weekend, and it looked like it needed a lot of work. Where is the trail crew at?

mtbr member
    Howdy Justin! The Mountain will be good to go on Friday from the top of Ted's down. We will be spinning the BCQ & Ted's this weekend. The jump lines are being built and trails are getting raked every day this week. The trail crew doesn't work weekends, that's why you didn't see them. Cheers!
    Burntski

Elitest thrill junkie
    Bike parts ordered for Saturday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good to know I was worried. Usually the jumps are built 2 weeks before opening. A couple of us were hoping to play on them last Sunday.

Elitest thrill junkie
    From last week.

Anchorage, AK
    Hey Burntski, I have a fatbike, will the lifts accommodate wide tires?
    two wheel livin'..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    Hey Burntski, I have a fatbike, will the lifts accommodate wide tires?
    I'd recommend renting up there if you haven't done it before. Even on mild "smooth" DH runs you pick up speed so easily and so fast that you quickly get pounded to hell by the small bumps and turns unless you're riding with a good deal of suspension and a big brake up front. It's not like a short downhill where you know you can control you speed and brake and then ride out on flat or uphill terrain thereafter, the constant downhill makes it so you are "fighting" the bike, unless it's designed for the terrain. It's not fun to fight the bike the whole way down IMO. Even though renting is pricey, I recommend it, well worth it from an enjoyment point of view.

mtbr member

Fat bike tires will NOT fit in the bike trays. Jayem is right about having the right bike. A slack 4" full squish is about the least amount of bike I'd recommend. Yeah, you could probably worm your way down with less,but it'll be a pretty unpleasant ride.

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I remember the opening day a couple years back so many rigid 26" bikes or ancient hardtails rocking rim brakes. Did not look fun.

mtbr member
    Im pumped ten is opening time right?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.-image.jpg

That is all.

Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the info. No stranger to bombing down stuff on a fat bike though. I rode down the Skyline Ridge trail on Maui twice on my carbon 9zero7 with the tires aired down to about 8 psi. That trail is 18 miles straight down from 10,000 feet!

Sent from my wireless communication apparatus
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Hey Now! The carriers on our lifts will not accommodate any tire over about 3.2 (or so). You're going to have to pedal your fat bike up the hill. Sorry!
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Shaping up to be a great riding season. Just one thing, what is with the timing of the downhill race? Cell phone? Can't you use the electronic timing you use for the ski races? I can donate an actual stopwatch if needed. When downhill times are down to the 100th of a second I don't think an I phone is the most accurate way to time. Trying to watch a rider and hit the button on your phone seems hard. I know I could not do it.
    A better system would not have helped my lousy times but some of the faster riders they might have been placed differently.
    But great riding looking forward to the rest of the year.

mtbr member
    Yeah Justin! It's shaping up to be a fine season at the Alyeska Bike Park! Thanks to the core riders such as yourself, the season has started strong!

I do not agree that a “stop watch” is superior to a smart phone for hand timing events. Neither device is going to operate with absolute precision. There are many more events these days timed w/ smart phones than with “stop watches”. We can expect a margin of error of +/- a tenth or 2 in the best case scenario. We are able to reduce the margin of error and keep consistency by maintaining focus (you might have noticed that James and I did not move more than a foot in 3 hours), avoiding distractions (like conversation) and by timing numerous events over the years (I time about a dozen events each winter). The start routine was consistent and the finish routine was consistent so I am comfortable with the accuracy / consistency of the timing. The only reason that there are hundredths on the result sheet is because the phones display to the hundredth and the timing software displays to the hundredth also. The hundredths on the result sheet are meaningless. And one could even argue that: Corey & Daniel tied for 2nd, Drew & Cody tied for fourth, Jeremy & Tim tied for 6th.

Ski racing electric timing systems are hard wired (fixed) between the start and finish. We do not have wireless timing systems at Alyeska. I might be able to come up with a course layout for the next race that will allow the use of our timing system. There are still a couple of hurdles to get over to use the timing system on an acceptable course layout. Once we move up the mountain for the next 3 races, we will be using a time of day start routine. And, the extended run length will make the times really spread out and reduce the incidence of tight margins.

We will be spending this week working to complete the jump lines at the base of the BCQ and the jump line on the Chair 3 work road. Lower Roll Over berms will get re-established and we will be buttering up the trails after this first big weekend.

Thanks for being a part of this opening Weekend!

Cheers!
    Burntski
    Burntski

mtbr member
    My buddy and I are mountain bikers from Fairbanks and we're considering heading down to Alyeska for some downhill fun. We're both confident XC riders but don't have much experience with DH or full-suspension bikes. We were considering one of the lessons offered but not sure if DH 101 would be too tame or if DH Novice would be too much. Is there any feedback from anyone who has experience with these lessons? Also, does the lesson/rental package include full-face helmet and padding? Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Hey Falcon,
    Come on down and take a lesson. It's a good way to learn the mountain, it's trails, and a few skills that you might not have picked up XC riding. The lesson package is only $5.00 more than a rental and lift ticket. It does include helmet, knee, and elbow pads. We can get as rowdy as you're comfortable with. All our instructors (myself included) can teach as big or little as you'd like.

See ya soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Hey Falcon,
    Come on down and take a lesson. It's a good way to learn the mountain, it's trails, and a few skills that you might not have picked up XC riding. The lesson package is only $5.00 more than a rental and lift ticket. It does include helmet, knee, and elbow pads. We can get as rowdy as you're comfortable with. All our instructors (myself included) can teach as big or little as you'd like.

See ya soon.
    Thanks, sounds great. We'll head down in about 3 weeks. We're really trying to get more aggressive in our riding, especially descents. Though we never jump or anything, it would be fun to learn how to (at least little ones). What are conditions like? Have you guys been getting as much rain as we have up here?

mtbr member
    Haha yeah it was pouring all last week friday hit stopped raining sunny Saturday and nothing but sun since than.

mtbr member

Sunny since Friday. Trails are in good shape and there is a bunch of diesel, dollars, and calories getting put to work building jumps (big and little) as I write this. Can't say what the weather will be in 3 weeks but hopefully it'll stay nice. It's fun riding even in the mud.

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member

Shaping up really nice.

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Last call 7/12/14

Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.-10296581_10203465831560220_6518103905373698665_n.jpg
    Last Call 7/12/14

Elitest thrill junkie
    2500' vert riding. Top is FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I will be in Anchorage for a few days in August and am planning on riding the bike park on the 15th, but will only have that one day to ride. Anybody have a suggested trail or combination of trails you recommend to get me started? I ride mostly intermediate trails at Angel Fire, NM and am comfortable on tables, moderate drops, moderate launches, etc. AF is the only lift assisted park Ive ridden, and Ive no idea how that compares to these trails.

My tentative plan is to hit Kincaid park on Monday, and kayak via an outfitter at Whittier on Thurs, then the bike park on Friday (I'll be working Tues and Wed). This will be my first trip to AK, so any suggestions on any part of the week are welcome.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

A Race To Remember!

an idea for a race, the last one was a hit and since we are all about trying new things and being wild why don't we be real adventurous and try a race that is based off the 24 hours of Kincaid. lets do a race that counts laps completed in a specified time limit such as 5 hours! let me put down some guidelines for the idea (taken from the 24 hours of kincaid) and let me know your feed back! I think this would be good for the bike festival maybe.
    All Racers: Mass start at the top, bikes on the ground and you have to dash to your bike and ride.
    Riders (or teams) must finish final lap before the clock ends or that lap will not count. Results will be based first on the number of laps completed, then total times. The team with the most laps wins. In the event of equal laps, the team that completes their final lap first wins. Participants may leave the trail at any point (for aid, breaks, restroom, etc.), provided they re-enter the course at the same place. You will only cross the start/finish line when STARTING your lap (and when ending your team’s FINAL lap). You start your lap by checking your race number in with the timers. Lap times include breaks.
    Teams: Relay exchanges will be made BEFORE the lap count. Exchanges will be in the form of physical contact, such as a tap. Any member of the team may race any amount of laps. You do not need to race in any particular order, nor do all team members have to complete the same amount of laps. Only one person from each team may be on the course at one time. This is a RELAY format, not a free-for-all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This sounds awesome ITSDUG. But I think there should be a couple changes to your idea. First. No teams everyone needs to ride there own laps. Also since there is not one lift to take us from bottom to the top there has to be a better way to track laps. Maybe a point system. Lifty at the bottom of the three lifts tallying rides by number plate. .5 points for chair 3. 1 point for chair 4. 1.25 points for chair 6. I don't know just throwing ideas out. I think a lot of people would like to ride in an event like this. It does not even have to be 5 hours, 3 might be the sweet number. Not really calling it a race. I am calling it King of the Mountain? I have a bunch of broken bike parts, we could put some time in and make some medals one for each class. Mens, Womans, Youth. I think Alyeska should do something like this. Where is Burntski on this?

mtbr member
    Trails were running awesome today!

I have once small suggestion/observation......

What is going on with "Last Call" and the super steep lips to flat landings? I just got back from Whistler after some days in the park so my riding "skillz" might be a tad skewed. However, if I had not "checked" speed before the lip due to seeing a new feature I would of probably ended up out in the grasslands somewhere or in the hospital due the trajectory of the jumps aka Huck to Flat.

Maybe to a look at the jumps, and reshape? Kind of like they were last year before someone gets hurt.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail report. We'll check it out.
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
    Trails were running awesome today!

I have once small suggestion/observation......

What is going on with "Last Call" and the super steep lips to flat landings? I just got back from Whistler after some days in the park so my riding "skillz" might be a tad skewed. However, if I had not "checked" speed before the lip due to seeing a new feature I would of probably ended up out in the grasslands somewhere or in the hospital due the trajectory of the jumps aka Huck to Flat.

Maybe to a look at the jumps, and reshape? Kind of like they were last year before someone gets hurt.

Thanks
    That is exactly what I thought. The last one in Last call is the worst. 1' Steep lip with no transition. I don't think you would see anything like that at Whistler.

mtbr member
    Keeping it
    Last edited by ak609; 08-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    More jumps! The upper mountain has unreal potential for flow/jump lines. I would ride Aly a lot more if there was even one good jump line - so would a lot of others in our group that hit whistler twice a summer. Not asking or expecting whistler in Alaska, but one good jump line would be sick.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Copy. Jump Line. We have scouted a couple of locations and are expecting to get something in place this season. It just takes time (and dirt and maybe a wee bit o diesel...)
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Keeping the bike couldn't sell it so may as well ride it haha already here who's riding Today?

mtbr member
    Anyone going tomorrow might need a ride down throw in 10 bucks for gas my number is 9073507917 shoot me a text

mtbr member
    Thanks for fixing the jumps on Last Call, and nice new lip on the left as your drop in! Nice addition to the end of Tanaka. Is that a preview of all the 90 degree switchbacks?

Any word on the big jumps?

Elitest thrill junkie
    What's the DH race route going to be?

mtbr member
    The race route will be: Start on the Hammel Highway (closer to the end of the road) then Gear Jammer-Bermuda-Race Trail Berms - Chair 3 Work Road - Roll Over - Finish! Registration is until 2 pm and the race starts at 3 pm. The awards will be on the sitz deck at 6 pm. See you at the races!
    Burntski

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Get out here tomorrow for Alyeska's Bike Park Vertical Challenge!
    See who can get the most vertical in a day with the winner taking home a season pass for the bike park next year! The trails are riding good and all the new rain is draining off the trails nicely! Hope to see a bunch of you out here tomorrow!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ugg, sounds fun, gotta heal up for next weekend though!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's been fun watching everybody rip the mountain up today for max vert!
    The guys in the lead have been mashing Eagle Rock all day since noon!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Great day of riding Saturday for the Max Vert. Challenge. It was one of the funnest events of the year. I will tell you it was a lot more grueling than I imagined. Eagle Rock for the win, by far the fastest and challenging way down GBX. Thanks Burntski and Alyeska Crew for putting it on.

mtbr member
    Right On Justin! That was the strongest day of riding we have ever had in the Bike Park. Be proud of your 27 laps! Cheers!
    Burntski

mtbr member
    yesterday was my first day riding out at aly and by far it was the best day of biking I've ever had!

on a side note, my buddy took a bad spill at the end of the day and everyone handled it very professional and the response time could not have been faster. thank you again to everyone who helped him.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hope he's alright! What happened?

Looking forward to the race this weekend and icing down my ankle every night to prepare!

mtbr member
    he over shot jump 1 in the bike park, landed flat and slammed pretty hard. he's still in good spirits but has a bit of healing to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast