Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.

Hi all I thought it might be time to update the thread for Alyeska as the old one was getting a bit long and outdated.

DH is in full swing here at Alyeska and we've had great turnout since our opening day on July 4th. Jake and Tony have been hard at it building and maintaining the trails and we're always looking for feedback from the riders out there. There is a fleet of Kona's at the Daylodge from both this season and last availiable for rent. We have a special running on Friday's that includes a half price bike rental for a half-day (3pm - 6pm) when you buy a bike lift ticket and free one-hour familiarization tour of the Bike Park. Fridays at 1pm only. Open to anyone. Check Alyeska's website for more info Alaska Downhill Mountain Bike Park | Alyeska Resort

Burntski and I will do what we can to answer any questions you all have and relay any feedback or suggestions to the crew.

Thanks!
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

mtbr member
    Enduro/Criterium at Alyeska. Details here. Mtn Bike Criterium Race
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

mtbr member

Elitest thrill junkie
    Alyeska Resort feedback and updates.-gedc0166s.jpgAlyeska Resort feedback and updates.-gedc0164s.jpgAwesome stuff, loved the impromptu (for me) Enduro race today! Great trails and that rain really made the rest of the day and trails awesome.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bikes are good

Yeah. Nice work and keep it up.

Spent Friday there, and had a blast. Best experience there so far. Jumps are good, nice feature on the bottom of chair 3 with the jump line and wood work rollover. Keep it coming. Cliff drop off the rocks under 4 on anyone's mind?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The conditions at Alyeska were at an all time best over the weekend, so incredibly dry. The trail crew's work raking out Tanaka, Gear Jammer and Bermuda made the trails very buff and fast.

mtbr member
    Echo'n what everyone else has to say. Amazing job with the trails and the new features, and especially the new trail to the left off Rollover. Xtra Tuff buffed out very well, and just about everything else in between. Amazing difference between July 4th weekend to now.

Looking forward to next weekend, and the races!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    might hit this up on sunday, any suggestions for an aleyeska noob?

mtbr member
    Chest cam footage from Sunday. Trails were awesome!

Alyeska Bike Park July 13th - YouTube

mtbr member
    Munky,
    Few suggestions for ya. If your renting a bike and the weather is good you might want to get to the Daylodge earlier rather than later so you have more selection and availability. We have been renting out of bikes on the nice days. Not sure what your DH experience is, but a lesson would be a good way to cover the basics and learn the trails. Chair 3 is a good place to start and get the feel for things. Lots of fun shorter trails. After your warmed up on chair 3 and the arm pump tapers off head up to Chair 4 and try waterfall to Tanaka grasslands. My favorite lap off of chair 4 is highway to gear jammer, burmuda, race trail, caution trees, and then out rock monster. Hope you have fun on the hill!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey thanks for all the info! ill be bringing my own bike. how much is a lesson?

mtbr member
    Munky this should tell ya what you need to know. Alaska Downhill Mountain Bike Park | Alyeska Resort

What kind of bike are you bringing? Reason I ask is that if it's a hardtail or XC type full suspension you will have fun but struggle on some of the more difficult trails. The harder trails have drop offs (roots, rocks) that will try to pitch you if your frame geometry is XCish. I have a Santa Cruz Nomad (6.5" travel) that I ride sometimes here and while I can get down all the trails ok it's not nearly as confidence inspiring (or fun) as on a dedicated DH rig with slack geometry. Definetly something to consider. We do half price DH bike rentals (with purchase of a lift ticket) on Friday's starting at 3pm. It rained here last night so the dirt should be great this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Munky this should tell ya what you need to know. Alaska Downhill Mountain Bike Park | Alyeska Resort

What kind of bike are you bringing? Reason I ask is that if it's a hardtail or XC type full suspension you will have fun but struggle on some of the more difficult trails. The harder trails have drop offs (roots, rocks) that will try to pitch you if your frame geometry is XCish. I have a Santa Cruz Nomad (6.5" travel) that I ride sometimes here and while I can get down all the trails ok it's not nearly as confidence inspiring (or fun) as on a dedicated DH rig with slack geometry. Definetly something to consider. We do half price DH bike rentals (with purchase of a lift ticket) on Friday's starting at 3pm. It rained here last night so the dirt should be great this weekend.
    my bike is a 13 giant trance x2. It's got 5" front and rear.. figured I would try it with this before I jump into a dedicated dh bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    any news on where the DH race will be on the MTN??

mtbr member

Alyeska DH Series

Quote Originally Posted by turborobo View Post
    any news on where the DH race will be on the MTN??
    Good Morning Turbo! We are planning on the race to be a 2 run (combined time) event on the BCQ trails. First run will be on the Big Spruce alignment and finish thru the bottom jump (middle) line. The second run will be on Roll Over and will finish thru the twin towers jumps just above the Sitz Deck. Please register at Daylodge between 11 & 2 and the event will kick off at 3. Every one will make their first run, then we move the timing from Big Spruce to Roll Over and every one has their 2nd run. Entry is the lift ticket you buy or if you have a pass, you can register w/ the pass. Those of you under 18, please remember that "The Man" requires us to get a signed waiver from your folks before we let you run for the glory.
    Call w/ any additional questions
    754-2283
    Burntski
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Huge turnout today for the race and riding on the mountain! Wanted to say thanks to Burntski and all the crew for putting on such a kickass event. Definitely looking forward to the August Race!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Flew up on 7/12 and had a couple days at the lifts. The mountain is better than last year for sure. I just wanted to see some more jumps in the mid/upper mountain sections. I was stoked to see the bigger A lines and such on the lower half. I loved the technical trails like gear jammer and alike but found some of the black trails missing a few big hits. I would love to see a jump trail that starts higher up and continues thru the park at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Thanks for coming up for another park session simpterfex! We have been focusing on maintaining the trails that we have already constructed over the last few years. However, new features are starting to pop up. Please keep in mind that some areas of the park are still snow covered at the end of June, so trail building gets started a little later than one would think. Jake and his small crew are working to improve what's already in the ground and looking to make the enhancements that keep riding fresh and exciting for all of our park riders. Thanks for the visit & feedback. See you next season!
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Did you guys advertise your "Bikefest" other than word of mouth or local bikeshops? Would of been nice to see it in here somewhere instead of hearing about it threw the grapevine.

Alyeska needs a facebook page, not Alyeska Resort, or Alyeska Aerial Tramway. I know you have the homepage, but that is not enough if your looking to get people on the lifts.

You guys have a bikepark on your property, a legit page like Alyeska Bike Park would be nice, followed up with pics, vids, maybe even an instagram account or twitter updated regularly. Embrace social media for what it is, and grow the community.

Mimic Whistler, and other successful venues, copy their ideas, and learn from their experiences and you will have riders beating down the doors rain or shine to ride the trails.

I know were not a Whistler type venue, here is an example.

Whistler Mountain Bike Park - Whistler, BC, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/WhistlerBikePark

https://twitter.com/WhistlerBikePrk

WhistlerMountainBikePark on Pinkbike

Bikes are good
    Or snow or shine

I agree. I was just poking around on the Whistler pages and the stoke they have there. It would be cool to see some videos/pictures, carnage, etc from Alyeska.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What are the conditions at Alyeska? Snow line? We plan on being there this weekend for the DH race. Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's supposed to be warmer this week. It wasn't much accumulating on the mountain, so there's a good chance it will melt off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    And just to put it out there...DH race next weekend! Lock up your daughters, lock up your wife, lock up your back door and run for your lives!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This may be a stupid question but are you allowed to go in the trails without having to pay a lift ticket. Of course u cant use the lifts to get up but I guess my question is basically is it free to ride in the trails where you are able to climb the bike yourself?

Bikes are good
    I'd bet, absolutely not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast