Elitest thrill junkie

Alyeska Bike Park 2016

New thread for 2016

Out enjoying the sun yesterday:

Chair 4 open, but crews still working on the west side trails. Lots of snow up above 4 in the bowls, so that's going to take a little while.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sweet vid Jayem! We opened the lower bowl trails (Upper/Lower Grasslands, X-tra tough, Knoll Trees, International, Waterfall, Creek Crossing, & Last Call,) yesterday around 2:00 pm. Lots of water damage this winter since there wasn't much for snow armor from the rain. Hopefully things set up with the rain today and the "skids are for kids" folks take it easy on the tender stuff till it locks up. We still have a bunch of brush cutting to do and we'll get after it next week. We have plans to take the big(ish) excavator into the International trail alignment and push it out further under Max's and then if all goes well, and we don't hit a ton of rock ledge, tie it in with Last Call. The emphasis being building the trails in areas where we don't have to make snow in order to groom over the berms and fill in the cut-benches. It's a fun and challenging process to build trails here.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Team Alyeska,

How about a weekly state of the trails and what's new ABP like in years past?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rented a bike and rode Saturday - so much fun. Thanks Alyeska. Now shovel that snow at the roundhouse so we can paraglide!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice vid!
    Wow, GJ, Fruita, and Moab trails are riding great. This is a killer spring for riding!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    So I was reading various links regarding the bike park on the AlyeskaResort website, and I was reading the bike park map.

Are there areas that a hardtail is allowed? I read that you can't take a hardtail on the lift. But looking at some of the trails it looks like you can ride up "blueberry hill" (except for the section that says you have to walk) and jump into any of the intermediate trails? Or is "blueberry pancake," the only one?

I realized most of these trails are one direction only according to the map so I am unsure if I can get to any of them without the lift. Just curious.

I know about the winner creek trail (which I've done with my fatbike in winter) but I'm looking for trails I'm allowed to ride up and around in the actual bike park.

I wouldn't mind renting a downhill bike and really doing it up, but I wouldn't be able to do that every time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    So I was reading various links regarding the bike park on the AlyeskaResort website, and I was reading the bike park map.

Are there areas that a hardtail is allowed? I read that you can't take a hardtail on the lift. But looking at some of the trails it looks like you can ride up "blueberry hill" (except for the section that says you have to walk) and jump into any of the intermediate trails? Or is "blueberry pancake," the only one?

I realized most of these trails are one direction only according to the map so I am unsure if I can get to any of them without the lift. Just curious.

I know about the winner creek trail (which I've done with my fatbike in winter) but I'm looking for trails I'm allowed to ride up and around in the actual bike park.

I wouldn't mind renting a downhill bike and really doing it up, but I wouldn't be able to do that every time.
    I didn't know they had that rule, a park/jump hardtail can be better than a crappy XC FS bike, but I wouldn't want to take either of them down a DH run. You build up speed so easily and so quickly that it usually overwhelms both and turns them into jack-hammers on the terrain. The end result is you usually end up fighting the bike down, rather than enjoying the ride down. That said, rentals are usually pretty steep and unless you are a middle-of-the-road rider in terms of weight, the suspension could be pretty far off, which is important. They seem to have a fleet of new bikes though, if I recall correctly from a couple weeks ago. That's always good.

I know they don't want people riding up the park or riding in the park without a ticket, there's big liability issues there.

Where exactly did it say no-hardtails?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post

You can take a Hard-tail on the lift. We try and discourage riders from taking hard-tails above chair 3 as it usually ends up with the rider walking down do to flats. There are some trails off of chair 3 that I have ridden my cross bike down so it can be done. It's not what I'd call fun however. We don't allow rim brakes on the lifts due to the fact that they are a recipe for disaster. We take no issue with riders accessing the trails under their own power during the week when the lifts are not running (All of the trails are "one way" and for downhill travel only). The Jump lines are closed during the week (Mon-Thurs) and they will be signed as such. If you are caught hitting the jumps while they are closed you will be told to leave and/or trespassed. If the lifts are running for biking (Fri-Sun) than you need to use the lifts if you want to ride down the trails. Friday's are half price rentals after 3 pm so if you want to have a really good comparison of hard-tail vs. DH rig you could ride your HT for the first half of the day and then grab a 1/2 price DH rental for the last 3 hours (open noon-6). All of our rentals are Kona Operators, Precept's, and Entourage's. We can set the suspension up pretty close to your liking as long as you're not an odd size (like 5 foot 260lbs). Generally the springs can be set up to fit the average size rider in a small, medium, or large. If you do come down midweek to ride while the lifts are closed just keep in mind that there are a bunch of people (paid and volunteer) who put in a lot of time and effort to build and maintain the trails. We don't make much from the bike operation and it runs on an almost impossible budget so please be respectful of the trails and keep in mind there will likely be crew working on them so don't go hauling a$$ around blind corners and take out my hardworking fellow co-workers. Also there is very limited patrol presence while the lifts are not spinning so if you get injured it could take a good bit of time to get you medical attention should you find yourself inadvertently inverted. Have fun and be safe out there.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hello,

Thank you both for all of the information. I tried to give you reps but it said I need to spread it around before giving each of you anymore.

Jayem asked where I read that you can't take hardtails on the lifts; I read that portion from the info about the rentals, it says you cannot take the hardtail rentals on the lift so I made an assumption that it meant all hard tails.

I really appreciate the detailed information from each of you; you definitely cleared it up for me!

My xc hardtail has rim brakes (it was super high end back in 99 when I was racing at kincaid!) so I now realize that I'll be exploring the options during the week under my own power. My most up to date bike is a brand new specialized fatboy. It is rigid but has disc brakes. Any restrictions on the lift with a fat tire bike? Other than the restrictions you already pointed out regarding hardtails... Just curious.

Thank you and your crew for all that you do. I am eager to check out all of your hard work!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Alyeska Enduro race yesterday!

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Hoping to ride the park during next year's visit. We missed it (closed) by 4 days this year. Thanks for the video!