mtbr member

With all this wonderful weather where to ride?

I don't want to damage the trails on the Hillside STAor at Kincaid STA, any one have any ideas on where I could get in a ride today since i have a day off?
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Hillside STA trails

Hillside trails are rideable but would only be enjoyable with studded fat tires right now. Conditions vary from soft to crust to bare ice, even a little dirt showing. It's cold enough, I don't think you'd be damaging these trails right now.

Bike=Fountain of Youth
    Nov 2011
    I rode the coastal trail yesterday with studded tires and it was great. if you do the section from Pt. Woronzof to Kincaid, it almost feels like you are in the woods. Not sure how a fat tire bike would do as the trail was pretty much glare ice.

mtbr member
    All fat and no studs sounds pretty sketchy on glare ice.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Rode all around the lower hillside and the STA trails yesterday on fat tires. Yes, they're icy, but still very ridable and fun. Don't let the recent thaw keep you in...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    1/2/13 Update.... We rode the hillside portion of the upcoming Frosty Bottom race. We both had studded 29er's, and it was still super sketchy. Hard, slick, shiny ice everywhere. If the Frosty doesn't get postponed, there's going to be some serious carnage on the hillside. Especially for the 50 mile racers coming down rovers. Hopefully conditions change soon.
    c

mtbr member
    yup I rode this afternoon from the far north bicentinial park out tank trail to the JBER gate then back over to Hilltop and back and it was slick enough I walked up and down a couple hills since i didn't have studs. It sure is slick in places.
    Last edited by f00g; 01-02-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    just rode hillside STA trails on 26er with studs. 29er would have been better, fat-bike with studs better yet. Wasn't too bad, but too bumped out due to foot traffic when it was soft to be fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just rode the hillside portion of the frosty. Definitely need some studs. Rovers was sketchy due to the overflow areas. Everything else from Norhern Lights RJP was fast.