mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Abominable Snow Series

Any details on the Abominable Snow Series? Chain Reaction's site is pretty lacking.

-How many laps?
    -I saw a map of the course, but no length - how long is each lap?
    -What's the difference between Cruiser and Open classes? Do they do different numbers of laps?
    -Are there staggered starts? What are they?
    -Many of the races are scheduled for the evening - how are we supposed to see where we're going? Will my half-watt LED be sufficient?

I haven't done a bike race before but am considering this one. Anything else I should know?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    CRC's Facebook page seems to always have the breaking news updates and info like maps and laps.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chain...a/291224632996

Laps are based on the route and your division. Open is more geared towards the racers, Cruiser for the folks who just want to ride!

If your 1/2 watt light can keep up with your race pace in the dark hours, then you should be ok. Personally it's not enough for me at night, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the reply! Didn't see anything on their Facebook page either regarding lap numbers and lengths. Maybe I'll try Cruiser this time then move up to open next time if I do well. And at least I won't have to worry about the light issue until the next race!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Typically, the races are set up as mass start (for each division), with cruiser doing one lap and open doing 2. I think the reasoning for not including all the details on the master list is that with a winter race, things can change quickly. Last year, for example, a race that was slated to be a "normal" mass start, one/two lap race turned out to be an individual start, one lap time trial because of heavy snow not long before the race. They have to be flexible. The course can also change at the last minute based on trail conditions.

Night races are the best, but lighting is a must. I did okay last year with just a good, bright headlamp, but upgraded this year to a very bright bar mounted headlight to have in addition to the headlamp. Big improvement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Any details on the Abominable Snow Series? Chain Reaction's site is pretty lacking.
    Thats the way they roll.

mtbr member
    As far as i know the open class is schedueled for 2 laps, cruiser 1 lap. I clocked the course at 5.5 miles for 1 lap. Like anchskier said, it's all subject to change.
    litespeed's break