Thread: 50K Advice

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

50K Advice

I need a bit of advice for the 50K this Saturday. I was hoping to do a recon run Saturday but ended up doing Frigid Bits instead. I have not seen the course yet (my first year), but I know several of you have been riding out that way the past couple of weeks. I'm assuming that trail conditions are near ideal and it doesn't seem like the weather will be changing too much between now and Saturday.

So...my question is this: Would I benefit from using studded tires on the course or are the first 15 miles not so icy? I have choice of running a set of 2.5 Weirwolf's or Nokian Extremes or a combination. Factor in that I have no experience riding on slick ice without studs.

Thanks

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    I need a bit of advice for the 50K this Saturday. I was hoping to do a recon run Saturday but ended up doing Frigid Bits instead. I have not seen the course yet (my first year), but I know several of you have been riding out that way the past couple of weeks. I'm assuming that trail conditions are near ideal and it doesn't seem like the weather will be changing too much between now and Saturday.

So...my question is this: Would I benefit from using studded tires on the course or are the first 15 miles not so icy? I have choice of running a set of 2.5 Weirwolf's or Nokian Extremes or a combination. Factor in that I have no experience riding on slick ice without studs.

Thanks
    Set yourself up with the 2.5's. You can always bring the studs, but I doubt you'll need them. With an 11 AM start, you'll have plenty of time to swap if you need. Also keep in mind the first few miles of the course are not always indicative of the rest of the course, so you'll need to ride a little further in to check it out. It starts on groomed dog sled trails. We'll see you there.

mtbr member
    I second the 2.5 recommendation. I wouldn’t even put the studs in the car.
    There are nearly 100 people signed up for the 50k. Right now the forecast is for a high of 27 which means the trails should hold up even with all the traffic, but it could get a little squirrelly once its all tracked up and the bigger tire would be a good choice. No reason to think that it would be icy at this point and if you get a few paddle tracks on the trail you’ll be glad to have the extra volume.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks guys. That's kind of what I was thinking but it's good to have that re-inforcement from a couple of guys who have been around the block a "few" times. As it is, I almost didn't even make it. Got the last 50K spot. See ya Saturday.