mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er Paka Wallup soft-tail testing

Well boys, the fun will be here Monday. Airborne is sending us the 18" 29er soft-tail for testing/critiques. Basically we'll decide if they should pursue the project, or focus more on the full sus version already in the works. The softie has 2" of travel, which you know is alot for a soft-tail. It's also coming with full XTR/Juicy/Speedcity set up.
    I need any and all to ride this thing and give an honest opinion. Adam has first dibs on the ride and purchase afterwards, but we'll see if he even likes it.
    I'm buying the components, so all I ask is that you take it easy on them and save them for whomever buys it in the end.
    For an intro, Airborne has been working on this project(sort of) this year and basically applied the 26 Paka Wallup design to the 29er. Due to their design it has not been easy to make it work on the bigger wheel. The full sus is actually easier to design around the bigger wheel, but those who ride 29ers already, you know that 2" will be plenty, so hopefully we can make it work.
    So come on by and check it out next week. Now is your chance to be a test pilot.
    Hope everyone had a great time at the Clean Air, the 300K brevet, and the road race. Cheers, Pat

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Pat, too bad...........

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Well boys, the fun will be here Monday. Airborne is sending us the 18" 29er soft-tail for testing/critiques. Basically we'll decide if they should pursue the project, or focus more on the full sus version already in the works. The softie has 2" of travel, which you know is alot for a soft-tail. It's also coming with full XTR/Juicy/Speedcity set up.
    I need any and all to ride this thing and give an honest opinion. Adam has first dibs on the ride and purchase afterwards, but we'll see if he even likes it.
    I'm buying the components, so all I ask is that you take it easy on them and save them for whomever buys it in the end.
    For an intro, Airborne has been working on this project(sort of) this year and basically applied the 26 Paka Wallup design to the 29er. Due to their design it has not been easy to make it work on the bigger wheel. The full sus is actually easier to design around the bigger wheel, but those who ride 29ers already, you know that 2" will be plenty, so hopefully we can make it work.
    So come on by and check it out next week. Now is your chance to be a test pilot.
    Hope everyone had a great time at the Clean Air, the 300K brevet, and the road race. Cheers, Pat
    It's too bad they did not send a small one for us LITTLE guys to try....!
    Later,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

you're as little as you feel

Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    It's too bad they did not send a small one for us LITTLE guys to try....!
    Later,
    Dave
    Dave, I'll let you ride on the handlebars.
    Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2nd impression

rode home yesterday via a small section of ST, and the rest bike path/road. Our trails are still muddy from our recent break-up. My initial report is that it's a slow steering rig, just as we expected from the long wheelbase, but not so slow that it doesn't have it's good points. It climbs like a goat in the saddle, but loses grip when standing. But the fast downhill gravel road out my front door was no problem as I took it faster than I have on any other bike. This bike is stable!
    So until I get on the ST trails, I'll venture a guess that this would be the perfect off-road touring rig, or Great Divide racer. When you get tired, as in a 24hr race, quick steering bikes can send you in the wrong direction before you know it. This bike should not have that problem.
    The suspension design works surprisingly well, and my only wish so far is for a shorter WB. But for those who go for the long haul, it's perfect. More later after we've got it on the trails.
    Cheers, Alaska Pat

Anyone want to test it?

Are you talking to me?

I do!

rode home yesterday via a small section of ST, and the rest bike path/road. Our trails are still muddy from our recent break-up. My initial report is that it's a slow steering rig, just as we expected from the long wheelbase, but not so slow that it doesn't have it's good points. It climbs like a goat in the saddle, but loses grip when standing. But the fast downhill gravel road out my front door was no problem as I took it faster than I have on any other bike. This bike is stable!
    So until I get on the ST trails, I'll venture a guess that this would be the perfect off-road touring rig, or Great Divide racer. When you get tired, as in a 24hr race, quick steering bikes can send you in the wrong direction before you know it. This bike should not have that problem.
    The suspension design works surprisingly well, and my only wish so far is for a shorter WB. But for those who go for the long haul, it's perfect. More later after we've got it on the trails.
    Cheers, Alaska Pat

Anyone want to test it?
    I am way too big for it, but I will give it a shot. What is the post diameter?

One of these days, I will drop off thre Gemini, and try the Paka 29er. Later Pat.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

can I borrow it on thursday, or this weekend, for a Kepler ride?
    i've been considering a WB fork for my monkey, but I'm not sure..
    it'd be great to be able to try one out first.
    Thanks Pat,

~Chris
    Last edited by SnowMonkey; 05-11-2004 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How 'bout this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMonkey

Thanks Pat,

~Chris
    I'm taking it this week to Denali, so you can use it this weeknd if you want. Just keep it safe. Pat

mtbr member

Smile What day...............

Thanks Pat,

~Chris
    Hey Chris, what day were you thinking of heading to Keppler? Brian posted trying to find riders for a ride somewhere.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Chris, what day were you thinking of heading to Keppler? Brian posted trying to find riders for a ride somewhere.
    Dave
    Hey Dave, how'd the CAC cookout go?
    yeah, I posted over on brian's thread.. I dont know if he's checked it yet..
    I was thinkin' Thurs after work, and/or Saturday morning 11:00.
    are you going?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm taking it this week to Denali, so you can use it this weeknd if you want. Just keep it safe. Pat
    Sure,.. I'll try not to huck any 10 footer's.. or crash into trees like I do.
    i've never ridden anything with suspension outside of a parking lot, so this is going to pretty cool.. I'll stop by the shop on friday.

Have fun on the Denali trip.. bring us some pics~!

~Chris

mtbr member

... and if we just ... I will try and make one of them......

Hey Dave, how'd the CAC cookout go?
    yeah, I posted over on brian's thread.. I dont know if he's checked it yet..
    I was thinkin' Thurs after work, and/or Saturday morning 11:00.
    are you going?
    I kinda made plans to ride into Eklutna with a friend. I'm not sure which day though. I also have to have time for a pavement ride with my wife. The cookout was a blast! Busy but loads of fun. Good weather and a great time at the lodge sat eve.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sounds good, but...

Sounds like a lot of fun.
    But I'll wait for the 31er version.
    Let me know when you get one in.
    Phil

Beware of Doggerel

Yahoo

Just got back into town yesterday afternoon after two weeks of east coast riding, Maine, New York and Mass. Super tight techie trails rocks roots all that fun east coast stuff, lots of falls, bumps and black and blue marks to prove it too. Unfortunately my bike died mid trip due to a crack in the frame. It cracked at the weld where the ST meets the BB. But luckily I was able to borrow a buddies 29er for a few rides (still managed to ride every day but 3).

Awesome to hear that the Paka is here. I can't wait to check it out. Bummer about the WB I had hoped it would be more of a do it all type of FS but it still sounds great and just becasue it has a long WB dosen't mean it will be all that slow.
    I'll be by for a test ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Adam,
    Glad to hear you had a good trip~ thats a bummer about your frame though.
    I had fun test rideing the Paka over the weekend.
    It doesn't have a WB 1.0 on it though.. Thats what I thought too when I first read this post, I guess Pat was saying it could use an BW.8 because the marz marathon is too squishy.
    Overall the bike was great, I posted a reveiw in the Sundae Ryde thread.
    I just dropped the Paka off at Pat's shop, so its all your's..

~Chris
    Last edited by SnowMonkey; 05-18-2004 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More 29er Softie news....

I kinda made plans to ride into Eklutna with a friend. I'm not sure which day though. I also have to have time for a pavement ride with my wife. The cookout was a blast! Busy but loads of fun. Good weather and a great time at the lodge sat eve.
    Dave
    Mike M. is out on the Paka 29er at the moment, so more news will follow today. For now I have news from Jeremia B. who is not a 29er convert like some of us, but seemed to like his first ride on the softy. he said he climed the gas line farther than he has before, and it was he, and not the bike, that quit first. He agreed that it climbs like a goat, is very stable, and plush. he didn't feel the long wheel base slowed it down much. He also compared it to his 26" Sugar, even though the blown shock had bottomed out. Hopefully he will add to this, but for now that's his thoughts.

Snowmonkey rode this past weekend and liked the bike alot, but didn't care for the marathon SL. His thought are in the Alaska section, along with a picture of his boat.

Pat's thoughts are that it's a nice ride with plenty of travel, closer to 3". It's not the quickest handling bike, but that's what I prefer in the long rides/races that I do. When I get tired, I want the bike to drive itself as much as possible, and this one nearly does that. personally I'd like Airborne to spend more time on this design, but will they sell many? Full sus is the thing these days, so is it in their best interest to spend alot of time and money on this one or focus on the full boinger version? let us know what you guys think and we'll go from there.
    The boss at Airborne says he can shorten the chain stays 2 cm, but the seat tube is set. So let us know what you guys want in a 29er.
    Cheers from the far north, Alaska Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset

Snowmonkey rode this past weekend and liked the bike alot, but didn't care for the marathon SL. His thought are in the Alaska section, along with a picture of his boat.
    ...sorry I didn't get around to taking any pics of the bike~
    I didn't have my camera while riding the first day,
    & the second day it was raining & my cheapo free digicam kept fogging up.