mtbr member
    Nov 2004

22.3 lb. winter bike

Just weighed the new bike at Beaver Sports and got a nice surprise, 22.3 lbs. I was sure it would come in well under 25 but didn't expect that.

It's a Motobecane Team Fly purchaced last spring. Simon built a set of SnoCat SL's with XT hubs, butted spokes and per suggestion by Chris at the bike shop they built it for disks for a future bike. Put a Pace RC31 titanium-carbon fork in front. Tektro V-brakes were used as they can be reverse mounted and don't stick out from the frame-forks. A Hutchinson Air Light Scorpion 2.3 in front, WTB Motoraptor 2.4 in rear. Both are light for their size.

First ride was a dream, great float and I was surprised at how comfortable it rides after 10 plus years on a f/s. Rear tire felt sluggish, especially at low pressure. I took a side cutter to the tires and got rid of about 1/3 the lugs up front and about the same on the rear tire. Next ride the WTB felt much better, no discernable loss of braking, climbing or side hill holding, but they seemed to roll better and just felt livelier. Not much change in the front but the lugs were very small. I had the Hutchinson and the WTB was at Beaver but am looking for a Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 and or Kenda Tomac Nevegal 2.5. They are both pretty light for the size and of course I'll whack the crap out of them to get the lug patterns I like. 2.5 will be the limit in the rear but the Pace provides tons of clearance up front. On the second ride I did part of the Cleary Summit Trail so did lots of climbing. It climbs like a goat.

They suggested using 1.5 inch gift wrapping ribbon for tire liners and I found some to almost match the paint. Below is a link to my Yahoo Photo site and there's a few photos at the top of the bike. There's also photos of my new clipless set up near the top. I took NEOS super light knee highs and mounted the platform off my old strap on clipless to the bottom with silicone and a few sheet metal screws, Eggbeaters. Works great.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/awinterbiker/#page1

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by awinterbiker
    Just weighed the new bike at Beaver Sports and got a nice surprise, 22.3 lbs. I was sure it would come in well under 25 but didn't expect that.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/awinterbiker/#page1
    Great to see that you're still out there and passionate about winter riding, Tony. Please stop in here more often to share tales and pics of your rides.

btw--do you have a reliable means for locating Simon?

Thanks,

MC

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

contacting Simon

Simon has a shop out behind Beaver Sports which is sort of closed to the public so I rarely see him, hell he lives just a 1/2 mile from me. I had the number to that shop but burnt it after returning a call. You can get a message to him via the bike shop at Beaver Sports, 479-2494. He's out of town for the next month or so. I'm pretty sure his home phone # is in the book. t