Thread: 16 Mile

Elitest thrill junkie

16 Mile

Finally did it today.

Nice trail! Such a blast, great construction and not crazy overgrown. Did the Government Peak stuff again after. That stuff is coming along nicely too. Would be cool to do a shuttle-day sometime soon and then cap it off with the Gov Peak trails...

We need some of that action closer to Anchortown.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

16 Mile

We were out at gpra working and packing berms and brushing earlier today. I agree it's really coming along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskamatt View Post
    We were out at gpra working and packing berms and brushing earlier today. I agree it's really coming along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, I probably saw/talked to you.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I would absolutely be floored to do a shuttle day + gov peak ride after. There are a few of us in Girdwood who were talking about this recently, so keep us in mind & send me a message if you guys are planning on doing it during the weekend.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I was looking at the weather for next weekend and it looked decent on the long-term outlook. May wait till a little closer, but at this time of year earlier may be drier than later. Thinking about something along those lines...

K_B
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was just out there this last weekend for the first time. Unfortunately, it was a little damp and slippery. Still pretty fun. I can just imagine what it's like when it's actually dry.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Does anyone know if fatbikes are allowed to go down this? I'm assuming yes but don't want to get yelled at.

Does anyone know if fatbikes are allowed on the xc ski trails like Archangel road and goldmint? I know you can ride them in the summer but some of those trails look groomed now and I don't know if the XC skiers get mad.

I was thinking of riding down the xc skill trails from one of the parking lots towards the mine down to archangel and along archangel.

K_B
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I don't see why you couldn't go down 16 mile on a fat bike. Not sure how much of the trail would actually be passable with wind-blown snow.

Bikes are also allowed on Archangel and Gold Mint according to the DNR (does not specifically mention fat bikes of course):

Hatcher Pass Management Area, Alaska State Parks

I was thinking about hitting Gold Mint myself.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I was on gold mint a few weeks back, only a couple skiers had gone before me and after 3 miles I couldn't go any further. I fell in the snow more than once due to trying to ride a super-skinny line. Snow was just not compacted enough. May be better now.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Sorry I should have replied sooner. That same weekend we ended up doing Archangel. Passed several skiers and no one complained.

I was curious about goldmint. 3 miles is better than nothing, I might try that soon!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Goldmint is the trailhead just before the curve in the road up to Archangel. A nice trail for a quick little ride. The furthest I've ridden this in winter is 4 miles, but it all depends on the snow pack. After 2 miles in it usually gets soft really quick.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Goldmint is the trailhead just before the curve in the road up to Archangel. A nice trail for a quick little ride. The furthest I've ridden this in winter is 4 miles, but it all depends on the snow pack. After 2 miles in it usually gets soft really quick.
    Like fall-in-the-snow-upside-down-on-your-bike-soft after a few miles. Ask me how I know