^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 15.5 inches of Icy Snow.........HELP!

To all:

We just received 15.5 inches of snow and ice here in Pennsylvania. Any suggestions as to helping to ride in this stuff? I have done the screws to the tires and ride motorcycles in this with studded tires so we can pass on the riding lessons.

What I'm looking for is opinions on the proper tire width and size as well as any trick screw combos. Kinda just wanna bs with ya. The snow started as regular snow then changed to hail about 3 inches before changing back to snow. So we have a hidden crust beneath the powder. Really weird stuff to ride in. I have been on the ice bike page already.

I was thinking using the cyclo-x bike due to the narrow rims and tires. The terrain is rolling single track I ride all year so I'm used to it.

Am I thinking wrong? Narrow is not the way? I don't want to build or buy a Pugsley type bike. Since you guys in AK are the Gods I ask you........
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Wood chips are stupid

help

If you can wait until the trails firm up some will make things a lot easier for you guys.The wider the tire rim combo the more float you will achieve. Float being the magic word. Alex DX32 or Snowcat rims with WTB Weirwolfs or Timberwolfs seem to work very well...if they fit in your stays. Low tire pressure will allow your tires to spread out to get a wider foot print. More float. Brake options are limited if you run V's. A Fat Bike(Pugsly,Wildfire,Thunderwing) with Lg Marges and Endomorphs are the best in deep crunchy snow. Throw a race. Have fun.

akdeluxe
    Last edited by akdeluxe; 02-17-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Being originally from PA, I know that 15" is pretty much unheard of. I imagine you'd like to do this as cheaply as possible so I'd recommend the same tire set-up as AK Deluxe (Weirwolfs=lighter, less agressive tread pattern). You should be able to fit these on whatever rims you currently have...the DX32's are more of a luxury more than a necessity.

You may have to buy a couple of different size tires and experiment to see what is the widest that you can fit with your current frame. Just return the ones that don't fit. I'm able to run a 2.5 Weirwolf up front and 2.3 Timberwolf in the back but I did have to change out my suspension fork to get more fron clearance.

Also, as AK Deluxe mentioned, the longer you let it setup, the more enjoyable the experience but I realize that it might not stick around that long. What was the average temp back there in December, 55? Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Being originally from PA, I know that 15" is pretty much unheard of. I imagine you'd like to do this as cheaply as possible so I'd recommend the same tire set-up as AK Deluxe (Weirwolfs=lighter, less agressive tread pattern). You should be able to fit these on whatever rims you currently have...the DX32's are more of a luxury more than a necessity.

You may have to buy a couple of different size tires and experiment to see what is the widest that you can fit with your current frame. Just return the ones that don't fit. I'm able to run a 2.5 Weirwolf up front and 2.3 Timberwolf in the back but I did have to change out my suspension fork to get more fron clearance.

Also, as AK Deluxe mentioned, the longer you let it setup, the more enjoyable the experience but I realize that it might not stick around that long. What was the average temp back there in December, 55? Hope that helps.
    Yes it was 55 in December also unheard of. Where in Pa did you live? How did you end up in AK? Not prying just thinking someday I would visit AK. Sounds like a great place, ad I think I'm the kind who would really fit well there, cause cold and snow don't bother me at all.

Now we have all the major roads closed Routes 81, 80, and 78 This has never happened before. All the traffic is routed on Route 11 which runs through all the small towns through the valley. I guess PENNDOT really F--ed up.

Back to the bike........I have Weirwolfs on my SS. I do run them on the FS bike. I'm just wondering if running a tall/skinny tire will cut through all the fluff and allow me to ride rather than plow. It is pretty much a given that 6 inches of snow is the max for ride ability.

Is a Pugsley bike really worth it? Hanebrink? I have read the reviews and people really like the Pugsley for all times of the year,and all surfaces.
    proformance58@cs.com

Out there
    Aug 2006
    There is not much you can do in 15" unless you have 3" tires. I cycled this whole winter but the 15cm of powder we had on Wednesday completely futzed me.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm just wondering if running a tall/skinny tire will cut through all the fluff and allow me to ride rather than plow. It is pretty much a given that 6 inches of snow is the max for ride ability.
    Skinny will cut through it for sure but I don't think you'll like the results. The idea with the wide tires is to cut thru a few inches but float on the majority of it. To be honest, my setup is really only useful when it's pretty packed down. I can deal with some fluff but not like the Surley/FatBike crowd. Don't know about riding them in the summer but I'm sure people do it...why not. They're generally a bit heavy for hardcore (long distance) XC riding though.

Where in Pa did you live? How did you end up in AK? Not prying just thinking someday I would visit AK. Sounds like a great place, ad I think I'm the kind who would really fit well there, cause cold and snow don't bother me at all.
    I lived in West Chester for about 5 years and moved up here 2 years ago. Came up to visit/help out at my company's Anchorage office, played around more than I worked and got my self transferred up here for good. No regrets...so far. Just got into the winter riding up here. Come on up and check it out but you probably won't want to go back.

Caveman
    Cry, watch baywatch re-reruns...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Cry, watch baywatch re-reruns...
    What's a Baywatch? Can I use it to tell time?................lol
    proformance58@cs.com

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

PA represent

I'm from PA (Bloomsburg area) but thanks to Uncle Sam in live in AK.