mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Zeppelin Elite Shock Specs

Hello MTBR,

I'm looking into buying a new rear shock for my Zeppelin Elite. I am planning on buying a Fox RP23 from eBay and I've noticed that there are several options available in terms of compression as well as rebound tune. The ones I'm looking at right now have low rebound, medium compression.

I have been looking at 7.5"x2" shocks, but I don't understand what kind of bushings (or whatever they are called) I would need to connect the shock to my frame.

Could someone explain what the measurements on the shock mean?

If anyone knows what to look for, that would be great!

Thank you.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhatley View Post
    Hello MTBR,

I'm looking into buying a new rear shock for my Zeppelin Elite. I am planning on buying a Fox RP23 from eBay and I've noticed that there are several options available in terms of compression as well as rebound tune. The ones I'm looking at right now have low rebound, medium compression.

I have been looking at 7.5"x2" shocks, but I don't understand what kind of bushings (or whatever they are called) I would need to connect the shock to my frame.

Could someone explain what the measurements on the shock mean?

If anyone knows what to look for, that would be great!

Thank you.
    The Zeppelin frames take a rear shock that has an eye-to-eye measurement of 190mm and takes 8x23mm bushings front and rear.

So in standard measurement that 7.5" x 2" shock will also fit. 7.5" is the eye-to-eye (basically the length of the shock) and the 2" is the stroke (how far the shock compresses).

The bushing size of 8x23mm means that the mount tabs on the frame have a distance spacing of 23mm between then, with the 8mm being the hole size that is drilled in the mounts. 8mm is fairly standard, but there are also 6mm and 10mm sizes out there so make certain you are getting 8mm.

23mm bushing width is fairly common also, but f you can't find exact 23mm width bushings, you can err on the low side (like 22.2mm) and then use some thin washers on either side to make up the difference.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Cool! Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea about the compression and rebound tune on the RP23? I feel like certain FS frames are designed for certain tuning settings, and I just want to get something that will work fairly well.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok awesome. Would it be possible for me to pull the bushings off of the RockShox BAR on the bike and use those?

mtbr member

Zeppelin Elite Shock Specs

The bushings for the bar 2.1 are too small. The OD is of the bushing for the bar 2.1 is 12mm. You need 12.75 (1/2") OD bushings.

Airborne Product Dude
    Cool! Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea about the compression and rebound tune on the RP23? I feel like certain FS frames are designed for certain tuning settings, and I just want to get something that will work fairly well.
    The compression ratio of the frame is 2.5 to 1 so you can use that info when looking at tuning. The Zeppelin is a simple single-pivot frame design so setting it up shouldn't be too difficult.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    Ok awesome. Would it be possible for me to pull the bushings off of the RockShox BAR on the bike and use those?

Bushings for each shock manufacturer are fairly specific in OD, so that for example RockShox bushings don't fit Marzocchi shocks. When you buy bushings you want to buy them specifically for the shock you will be using.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.