Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Zeppelin Elite Crank Specs?

I was hunting for deals and I stumbled upon this
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Race Face Ride XC X Type Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket

Got me thinking, What specs do I need to go crankset shopping?

How about the specs on my rear shock??

Front Fork?

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have no idea about crankset.

Rear shock, I think you only need to know the length and displacement (how much it moves) of the shock. this is usually expressed as length x displacement (ex. 6.5" x 1.5"). length you can measure yourself, I would hope that the displacement is written somewhere on the shock.

for front forks, you need to know the steerer diameter. For zeppelin elites it is 1 1/8" i am very certain. Also, you can't get a fork with travel that is too different from what is already on there, otherwise it will change the geometry.

I ordered a zeppeling elite last week and it's getting here tomorrow, as you can tell i've already started thinking about upgrading the suspension bits. How do you like yours, and is there anything I need to watch out for during assembly?

also, how are the wheels on yours? i haven't heard good things about the alexrims dp17...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    I have no idea about crankset.

Rear shock, I think you only need to know the length and displacement (how much it moves) of the shock. this is usually expressed as length x displacement (ex. 6.5" x 1.5"). length you can measure yourself, I would hope that the displacement is written somewhere on the shock.

for front forks, you need to know the steerer diameter. For zeppelin elites it is 1 1/8" i am very certain. Also, you can't get a fork with travel that is too different from what is already on there, otherwise it will change the geometry.

I ordered a zeppeling elite last week and it's getting here tomorrow, as you can tell i've already started thinking about upgrading the suspension bits. How do you like yours, and is there anything I need to watch out for during assembly?

also, how are the wheels on yours? i haven't heard good things about the alexrims dp17...
    I love mine. I'm coming from a HT trek.

I'm at a point where I don't possess the ability to outride my bike. So far all I wanna do is shorten my stem, and that is bc of my size. Not bike related.

Wheels are great. This winter I'm gonna upgrade to a Reba or tower fork and look into lighter wheels.

Only issue so far is my front derailleur doesn't like to shift much. I think it needs alignment so no bigger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    No way, the bike I have right now is a Trek 4300.

I used to feel like I could outride it but after doing some upgrades (wheels+tires, Rockshox fork) I'd say we're an even match. It's a total blast on fast XC trails but I want to ride on some rougher terrain which is why I decided to get a full suspension bike. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not, having 3 bikes would (in my opinion) be kind of excessive. In addition to the Trek 4300 I have a Trek 7.3FX for city riding.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I was hunting for deals and I stumbled upon this
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Race Face Ride XC X Type Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket

Got me thinking, What specs do I need to go crankset shopping?

How about the specs on my rear shock??

Front Fork?

Thanks guys
    The BB shell is a BSA threaded shell, with a square-tapered 68x122 FSA BB installed stock.

Those cranks look like they should fit. They probably won't be much ligher than what comes on the Elite already, but they are a little nicer and do have an outboard BB so they'll probably be stiffer.

The rear shock has an eye-to-eye measurement of 190mm and takes 8x23mm bushings front and rear.

The Zeppelin frames are built with a 70degree HT angle based on a fork with an ATC of 490mm. So, with the stock fork dialed to about 120mm of travel it is sitting at the 70 degree HT angle. With the fork turned to the 85mm setting it is steeper and at the full 130 it is a little slacker than 70 degrees.

If you want to keep the stock 70degree HT angle look for a fork with around 490mm ATC. In general, that translates to most companies forks that are around 120mm in travel, give or take a few milimeters.

The fork steer tube is a 1 1/8" non-tapered.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Question: would this rear shock fit properly on a Zeppelin Elite?

Fox Shox Float RPL 7 5"X2 0" Three Settings Pro Pedal Lock Out Open | eBay

Airborne Product Dude
    I generally don't like to speculate or recommend whether or not eBay or used parts will fit one of our bikes, for fear that someone could get upset if something goes wrong.

That being said, the eye-to-eye is correct on that shock. With the proper bushings installed it *probably* will fit and work fine.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I generally don't like to speculate or recommend whether or not eBay or used parts will fit one of our bikes, for fear that someone could get upset if something goes wrong.
    Don't worry, if it doesn't fit I'd just put it right back onto ebay. The good thing about buying used is that you can normally flip it back for the same price (or higher) than you got it for

That being said, the eye-to-eye is correct on that shock. With the proper bushings installed it *probably* will fit and work fine.
    Are there different bushing sizes? I was under the impression that all shocks/frames used the same size bushings, is that correct? Also, will I be able to recycle bushings from the shock that's currently installed on it?

UPS estimated a delivery time of 11:15-3:15pm today for my zeppelin, and it's currently 2:01pm...can't wait 'till i get home...constantly refreshing the tracking info page

mtbr member
    The BB shell is a BSA threaded shell, with a square-tapered 68x122 FSA BB installed stock.

Those cranks look like they should fit. They probably won't be much ligher than what comes on the Elite already, but they are a little nicer and do have an outboard BB so they'll probably be stiffer.

The rear shock has an eye-to-eye measurement of 190mm and takes 8x23mm bushings front and rear.

The Zeppelin frames are built with a 70degree HT angle based on a fork with an ATC of 490mm. So, with the stock fork dialed to about 120mm of travel it is sitting at the 70 degree HT angle. With the fork turned to the 85mm setting it is steeper and at the full 130 it is a little slacker than 70 degrees.

If you want to keep the stock 70degree HT angle look for a fork with around 490mm ATC. In general, that translates to most companies forks that are around 120mm in travel, give or take a few milimeters.

The fork steer tube is a 1 1/8" non-tapered.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Stiffer is really what I'm looking for. When I really push hard I can feel the crank flexing and hear it grinding. And the price is right.

Thank you very much for the info. I'm so happy I bought from you guys. My LBS is kinda pissy that I didn't buy a trek marlin. And come to find out he doesn't like anyone that don't rock a trek. So F him.

Airborne Product Dude

Are there different bushing sizes? I was under the impression that all shocks/frames used the same size bushings, is that correct? Also, will I be able to recycle bushings from the shock that's currently installed on it?
    Hey Alex,

Frames and shocks use different bushing sizes. For example, I know for certain Marzocchi shocks have a different eye ID than RockShox so that you can't swap the same bushings between the two makes. I'm not certain on the Fox ID. The photo of the shock on the eBay listing shows a shock with no bushings in the eyes. It needs bushings to mount it on a frame and the ones in the Bar 2.1 may not fit the ID.

Bushings are also a specific width based on frames and the width of the mounting tabs. The Zeppelin takes 23mm front and rear, with an 8mm opening. That's a common size but a lot of manufacturers use different widths and sometimes different bolt openings (like 10mm for example).

I hope that makes sense!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Stiffer is really what I'm looking for. When I really push hard I can feel the crank flexing and hear it grinding. And the price is right.

Thank you very much for the info. I'm so happy I bought from you guys. My LBS is kinda pissy that I didn't buy a trek marlin. And come to find out he doesn't like anyone that don't rock a trek. So F him.
    No problem! That's what we're here for.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey Alex,

Frames and shocks use different bushing sizes. For example, I know for certain Marzocchi shocks have a different eye ID than RockShox so that you can't swap the same bushings between the two makes. I'm not certain on the Fox ID. The photo of the shock on the eBay listing shows a shock with no bushings in the eyes. It needs bushings to mount it on a frame and the ones in the Bar 2.1 may not fit the ID.

Bushings are also a specific width based on frames and the width of the mounting tabs. The Zeppelin takes 23mm front and rear, with an 8mm opening. That's a common size but a lot of manufacturers use different widths and sometimes different bolt openings (like 10mm for example).

I hope that makes sense!

Jeremy
    Thanks for the information! I guess I'll have to get my hands on the actual hardware once the bike arrives and measure it myself. One good thing is that I have access to 3 Fox DHX RC4 shocks so I could measure the ID on those--they're used on a solar-powered vehicle I'm involved in building as part of a school project.

mtbr member
    Also. What size axle is on the zeppelin elite?? 15mm QR?? How can I tell?

Thanks!!

Airborne Product Dude
    The Zepp has standard 9mm QR's. You don't find 15mm thru axles or "Maxles" on bikes at this price level.

Thanks!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Big daddy, can you go into a little more detail between all the axle choices?

And you rock. My lbs told me I had a 15mm QR, which bummed me out cuz I found a Fox F100 RLC 32 float for $200

How exactly can you tell??

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did you LBS seriously say you had a 15mm QR? That's unbelievable...

The 9mm QRs allow you to take the wheel off without removing the axle. 99% of bikes have this. The wheel can come off the bike with the axle still on it because of the slot on the fork:
    http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...g-weight04.jpg

The 15mm QRs and 20mm QRs require you to remove the axle separately before you remove the wheel; they cannot come off as one piece, also they are much thicker:
    http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/1...jpg?1335021998

mtbr member
    Yeah. I'm pretty disappointed in them. Thinking I'll stop supporting them. I'll install my own damn fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You will probably need them to install your fork. I tried to install my own fork on the Trek I had previously, you need special tools to do several steps of the installation and I tried with normal tools but couldn't get it done...more specifically, I got everything done up to installing the star nut, but I couldn't get that to go in.

Airborne Alf
    May 2011
    You will probably need them to install your fork. I tried to install my own fork on the Trek I had previously, you need special tools to do several steps of the installation and I tried with normal tools but couldn't get it done...more specifically, I got everything done up to installing the star nut, but I couldn't get that to go in.
    Sette ST-113A Threadless Star Nut Setter at Price Point

If you are having trouble with the star nut. You can always purchase something like this. I always do my own work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am looking at possibly upgrading my Zeppelin rear shock to a new Fox Float CTD. Should the size be 7.5x2"? When I look on the list of bushings I see 8x22.2mm and 8x24.0mm but no 8x23mm. Should I pick the 8x24mm bushings or the 8x22.2mm?
    Last edited by blundar; 01-31-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by blundar View Post
    I am looking at possibly upgrading my Zeppelin rear shock to a new Fox Float CTD. Should the size be 7.5x2"? When I look on the list of bushings I see 8x22.2mm and 8x24.0mm but no 8x23mm. Should I pick the 8x24mm bushings or the 8x22.2mm?
    That's the correct shock length.

For bushings, 23mm is very common.

If you can't find the 23mm, then get the 22.2 and use a .4mm washer on either side of the bushing to shim it. The 24.0 won't fit.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Alf
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blundar View Post
    The eye to eye is 190mm and takes 8x23mm bushings front and rear. I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Outstanding! Big thanks BigDaddyFlyer...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just a quick update... I just purchased a new RockShox Monarch RT3 190x51 for my Zeppelin Elite. Thanks a ton for all the info and assistance BigDaddyFlyer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Do I need any special tools to swap bushes from my RockShock Bar 2.1 to my new Monarch RT3?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast