mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Will 16" Guardian fit in this bike rack? Anyone know?

I am looking into the Swagman bike racks and wondering if a 16" Guardian with the curved top tube would fit on this rack.. Anyone have experience? I know they make an adapter to give it a straight top bar, but it's like anouther $30!

ORIGINAL 3 BALL MOUNT ? 64101 Swagman

Airborne Product Dude
    It probably will, but it will put the front wheel quite a bit lower than the back wheel. As long as the front wheel isn't sitting in front of any exhaust pipe you'll probably be OK.

Honestly I'm not a fan of any rack that grabs a bike by its frame tubes. It leads to marred paint finishes and is less secure than something that has a tray set-up for the wheels to sit in. For the rear of my personal vehicle I have the Yakima Hold Up with the additional 2 bike plug-in (for a total of 4 bikes on the rear and two on top of the vehicle).

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    funny you mention that. I did come across this platform rack that is only about $50 more than the other. Not bad considering it's a platform. Would probably be worth it to go ahead and spring for it.

4.5 out of 5 starts with 490 reviews. Not bad

Amazon.com: Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1/1/4 and 2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors

Airborne Product Dude
    That's not a bad deal. I think that will hold the bike much better. If you have an Amazon Prime account like I do, 2-day shipping is free which makes it an even sweeter deal.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Will 16" Guardian fit in this bike rack? Anyone know?

I have a 1 up USA roof tray that I don't really care for and a Saris Cycle On two bike hitch mount that I really like. I got lucky and found the Saris hitch mount used for $50.

MTB Fanatic
    I agree with Jeremy about that first rack. It looks like it will hold a Guardian, but will look weird and the front tire will hang down awkwardly.

I also have a rear hitch rack and I highly recommend them. They're more expensive, you have to add a hitch if you don't have one, but the result is outstanding. Mine doesn't touch my frame anywhere, only the tires. I've taken it on long trips without incident.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've used a standard bike rack that grabs the tubes for decades, never had any issues. I put my 16" on it and it works fine. Front tire hangs lower, but I don't care. It's rock solid.

I really don't think much about scratching a bike. Nobody can see it when I'm flying past anyways, and they are all badges of honor.

Airborne Product Dude
    I personally prefer that my scratches come from use, and not transportation. Being in the industry I also tend to roll bikes/parts over at least every year or so. That means more $$ on resale if I take care of my nice stuff.

And since I also haul other people and bikes with me, its not fair for me to make their scratch decision for them.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    On ocassion I find I have to use a rack that holds the bike on the frame. Two suggestions if u go that route. Suggestion one is mount one side to the TT and the other to the DT. Small and kids bikes take a bit of creativity with those racks.
    Another way to go is use a TT adapter that most rack companies sell. They mount on the seat post and stem making a "TT". They were originally designed for woman's bikes.
    All that being said, a "strap on" or hitch style platform rack is much easier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yea I think I am going to just spring the extra $50 and get the swagman platform hitch mount to remove the hassle of having to finesse the bikes onto a hanging trunk mount.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!