mtbr member

Wider bars on the Goblin

Is anyone runnin the Goblin with 700++bars? I'm thinking of trying some longer bars but wan't to get some feedback. I find the stock bars a bit twitchy but then again it may because of my noob a$$ riding skills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Wider bars on the Goblin

From my reading XC bikes aren't set-up with wide bars (or at least wide bars/short stem). I'm not sure why though.

If you have lock on grips you can slide them out a bit too get an idea of how it would feel (I prob wouldn't ride on a gnarly trail like that though).

mtbr member
    im going with a 50mm stem and prob 700 bars as i dont like to be over the bars as much. ZBut waiting on my HB XO still so really cant answer yet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The aerodynamics are better with bars that aren't so wide, plus they are easy to manuever on skinny single track. I find myself more comfortable with the 740mm bars on the skyhawk than the 680mm on my other bike they allow me to have more stable control of my bike. Another personal preference I must say.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Yes, I ride my goblin with a niner carbon bar measuring 710 mm.
    Last edited by Zerort; 04-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have 725mm bars and a 70mm stem on my Guardian. Same frame as the green Goblin. Feels perfect to me.

mtbr member
    I was wondering about this myself. I ended up ordering the race face atlas...i know its super wide but i can cut it down a little. I am pretty lanky so figured a wider bar will give me a little more stability and cut down on twitchiness.. We'll see once i get it

mtbr member

Wider bars on the Goblin

I have FSA SL-K low rise bars which I believe to be around 680 mm. I already want something a little wider. There aren't that many tight trees where I ride.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I like the more stable feeling of a wider bar. I picked it up when I was riding single speeds and it never went away. Right now I'm riding the Deity D30's on my Hobgoblin (760mm wide). Also ran the Raceface Atlas bars at 30 inches, but I like the sweep/rise of the Deitys better (funny how minute a difference you can recognize).

Running the Deity Black labels on my Marauder which are 787mm/31 inches, and I'm finding that's the limit - actually a bit beyond. For freeriding its okay, but in the woods I was clipping trees on the last ride. And then, I don't always ride my hands at the end of the bar either, sometimes I'll choke up on them a bit to alter my riding position. I like to have that option. Riding a 50mm stem I've found you have to be careful to weight the front wheel in turns, or it can wash out. I'm used to it now, but it took a few "lessons" to break me in.

Keep in mind, running wider bar will also have your leaning forward a bit more because your stance will be wider. I don't think there's an exact equation, because people have different postures when riding, but something to keep in mind too.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I like the more stable feeling of a wider bar. I picked it up when I was riding single speeds and it never went away. Right now I'm riding the Deity D30's on my Hobgoblin (760mm wide). Also ran the Raceface Atlas bars at 30 inches, but I like the sweep/rise of the Deitys better (funny how minute a difference you can recognize).

Running the Deity Black labels on my Marauder which are 787mm/31 inches, and I'm finding that's the limit - actually a bit beyond. For freeriding its okay, but in the woods I was clipping trees on the last ride. And then, I don't always ride my hands at the end of the bar either, sometimes I'll choke up on them a bit to alter my riding position. I like to have that option. Riding a 50mm stem I've found you have to be careful to weight the front wheel in turns, or it can wash out. I'm used to it now, but it took a few "lessons" to break me in.

Keep in mind, running wider bar will also have your leaning forward a bit more because your stance will be wider. I don't think there's an exact equation, because people have different postures when riding, but something to keep in mind too.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to try my low-rise raceface sixc 725 off my Chilcotin. I should get wider bars for that bike anyway so the lighter carbon bar should be an added bonus. I'm also going to try using a shorter stem at some point to see how it feels.