mtbr member

Who's saving up for a new Airborne bike?

Thanks to Microsoft and the banking industry we're in a rush to upgrade all of our XP workstations to Win 7. I'll take all of the OT I can get.

So this means the HobGoblin XO I was going to get in late summer will now be a nice birthday gift for me in May. It also means I'm going to need a carbon road bike sooner than later. *cough* Jeremy *cough*

So who else is saving for a new Airborne?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Thanks to Microsoft and the banking industry we're in a rush to upgrade all of our XP workstations to Win 7. I'll take all of the OT I can get.

So who else is saving for a new Airborne?

We aren't rushing our Win 7 deployment, but we're not exactly a financial institution. We'll do ours during the summer, being a school district, so no OT for me.

But I am saving for the next Airborne. One that doesn't exist, and that is more magnetic. Literally magnetic. Right Jeremy? You were on-board with that, right?

Possibly an Evo frame, but I am just finishing a frame-up build from another make right now, so I'm not sure the accountant would let that fly. I could probably get the frame, remove the spacer from the Recon Gold on my Seeker to run it at 120mm, and have it work correctly, but what's the fun in that? A 34mm stanchion fork would be more fun.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was planning on saving up for the new AM rig they are building....but I couldn't wait and just bought a Yelli-screamy frame....oh well.

Side-note...Skyphix...are you sure you can bump up the recon to 120mm?? I thought that was only for the through-axle models....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks to Microsoft? Dude, XP was past its prime 5 years ago... Apple cut off Snow Leopard after only 4 years!

At any rate, glad it's going to turn into a new bike for you! You'll have a new ride just in time for the trails to clear up.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am. I have my sight set on a new Goblin. The weather has to get better (expecting anywhere from 4 to 12 inches of snow the next day and a half) and I have to get this damned cast off my right foot/leg.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CDM88 View Post
    Side-note...Skyphix...are you sure you can bump up the recon to 120mm?? I thought that was only for the through-axle models....
    That may very well be true - haven't looked that far into it, just cursory searching. I don't think I could completely take out my Seeker, so I'd probably go with a new fork anyway.
    Eric

mtbr member
    I need a full squish, so already started up a new account just for saving up on the Hobgoblin.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

Hooligan
    They aren't nearly as affordable as they use to be. i had my eye on the wingman, but when they discontinued it (and all the old ironhorse stuff) i lost interest. i would still buy one used for the right price, but i think currently they are moving into the realm of real bikes and out of the 'affordable' price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Buy used, be happy with what you got, ride more.

mtbr member
    Last treatment this week so Im eyeballing a Hobgoglin for the trails and still holding out for a new Delta Force CX1 (doubt we'll see one tho)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Thanks to Microsoft? Dude, XP was past its prime 5 years ago... Apple cut off Snow Leopard after only 4 years!

At any rate, glad it's going to turn into a new bike for you! You'll have a new ride just in time for the trails to clear up.
    Some of our vendor's applications won't run on Win 7.

It's working out alright for me though!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    They aren't nearly as affordable as they use to be. i had my eye on the wingman, but when they discontinued it (and all the old ironhorse stuff) i lost interest. i would still buy one used for the right price, but i think currently they are moving into the realm of real bikes and out of the 'affordable' price range.

We wouldn't still be in business if we sold those models at the prices/margins they were. And to be frank, we didn't want to use old IH designs. The Wingman at the price it was closed out at was below our cost. Again, not a great business model for longevity.

If you compare our current models they still offer a huge value (even though they aren't "cheap") when compared to similar models from other bike companies. For example, the Goblin at $1199 has little competition out there in regards to spec/value.

Our current models are selling very well and our business model has us in the black, so we must be doing something right.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Some of our vendor's applications won't run on Win 7.

This is the same reason we're still mostly XP and our terminal servers are still 2003.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think the evo is an amazing deal when you look at what your getting for the money....just really wish it was a threaded bb...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, I'm saving for one. Though, it may wait until after the motorcycle. To be honest, it's hard to pony up 2 or 3k for bicycle when I can buy capable used dualsport motorcycle for the same price...that keeps it's value.

Hands down, Airborne bikes are the best value for your money that I've seen in many years, even if they are a little more expensive than earlier models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

Our current models are selling very well and our business model has us in the black, so we must be doing something right.

Jeremy
    Airborne definitely fills a gap in the market. You can't expect a company to give their stuff away today and still be there tomorrow. There are certain realities that exist if you want to have a viable business model. I appreciate what Airborne is doing and vote with my hard earned dollars.

To answer the thread question. After this winter I'm saving up for some Fat Air if you know what I mean

Hooligan
    Yes, You guys do fill an important gap in the market, and there is no question about value. I didn't know you were selling the old bikes below cost, it certainty explains the increase in price. The pathogen looks great, but it's hard to get excited when just the frame alone costs more than the complete Taka did. do you guys have newer DJ and AM designs in the works? your website currently just has empty categories and i'm excited to see what you replace the zepplin, wingman, and marauder with.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Buy used, be happy with what you got, ride more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    New Bike?...... I'm still paying off the old one.

Bought it under the no interest PaypPal plan and trying to sneak in payments so the Mrs doesn't know how much I really spent

Airborne Product Dude
    Yes, You guys do fill an important gap in the market, and there is no question about value. I didn't know you were selling the old bikes below cost, it certainty explains the increase in price. The pathogen looks great, but it's hard to get excited when just the frame alone costs more than the complete Taka did. do you guys have newer DJ and AM designs in the works? your website currently just has empty categories and i'm excited to see what you replace the zepplin, wingman, and marauder with.
    There are no plans to re-enter the DJ category or make another Zepp. We are gearing up to launch a new website in the future and it wont have the DJ category buried in it anywhere like the current one.

The Toxin is our new freeride/park bike. There are no plans to bring back something as cheap as the Marauder was, that needs upgrades right out of the box to work as intended.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Re: Who's saving up for a new Airborne bike?

Quote Originally Posted by jwright1 View Post
    ...trying to sneak in payments so the Mrs doesn't know how much I really spent
    Lol that's exactly what I did. My ol lady would likely ring my neck if she knew I spent $1200 on a bicycle

MTB Fanatic
    I am teaching summer school this year just so I can get a fat bike. I had originally planned to upgrade to a Hobgoblin, but Iowa winters are so awful that I just have to go fat. I can't go another winter without a fattie.

I have been very impressed with the XC Airborne bikes and can't wait to either build my own Hobgoblin someday or something similar.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You can't beat Airborne's price per spec especially since the prices from other compannies seem to go higher and higher every year.

I'm saving up for either the new AM bike or Goblin Evo. I'll decide when the new bike's spec and price is announced. I don't mind riding another summer on the new Goblin so I can wait....

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright1 View Post
    New Bike?...... I'm still paying off the old one.

Bought it under the no interest PaypPal plan and trying to sneak in payments so the Mrs doesn't know how much I really spent
    Thanks for the hint. LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Buying used would be an alternative but you don't see them on the used market often because most people hang on to them

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ... it certainty explains the increase in price
    I have yet to see a bike manufacturer who doesn't raise their prices every year. From what I understand, Airborne increased their prices minimally and, from what I've seen, less than their competitors.

mtbr member

But their specs have gone way up in the last 3 or so years. Still the best value in biking and great customer service to back it up.