mtbr member

The Whoops! 10 minute video

Vimeo is where this vid is seated, and could use a bit of pixel love. Some fun downhill mixed with a great soundtrack... This video is being encoded to hi-def as we speak, so bear with me on the pixelation - the fun starts a :2.30 - until then, enjoy my Airborne brethren!

Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    EDIT - this is rated R due to the lyrics...

mtbr member

Looks like a great ride! Makes what we have here in Ohio look like and even bigger snooze fest than it already is. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Looks like a great ride! Makes what we have here in Ohio look like and even bigger snooze fest than it already is. Thanks for sharing!
    I bet it makes you wish your buddy moved out here after all! The only downside to that trail is you have to make your way back up to the top! Hella fun, total trail time is 52 to 56 minutes @ 9 miles in length.

Airborne Flight Crew
    7 Sisters is the gem of Kinsey's ridge

Took me a while, but I finally figured it was more fun to start at the bottom. That way you start out with just a little sort of climb, have some killer whoops/dh, then climb up to the ridge, traverse back around and ride whatever trail you like up there -then you get to finish with the 7 Sisters dh trail back to the vehicle.

You can drive to the bottom, I think the turn is at the Flora Vista light on your way out of Farmington towards Durango.

Cool vid and riding! *almost* miss it up there
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Great vid!

mtbr member

Thanks for sharing! As I was watching I thought, "hmmm, that looks kinda familiar..." Then I realized that's the trail I did on New Year's Day! I'd never been on it before but it was a great ride and a little drier than what we had in Durango.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    7 Sisters is the gem of Kinsey's ridge

Took me a while, but I finally figured it was more fun to start at the bottom. That way you start out with just a little sort of climb, have some killer whoops/dh, then climb up to the ridge, traverse back around and ride whatever trail you like up there -then you get to finish with the 7 Sisters dh trail back to the vehicle.

You can drive to the bottom, I think the turn is at the Flora Vista light on your way out of Farmington towards Durango.

Cool vid and riding! *almost* miss it up there
    There is a new trail I will be trying soon called Mountain View (just need to find a riding buddy) off Navajo Dam Road. I hadn't thought of parking down in the valley, good idea, but having that climb at the end is what makes a great workout for me. For every little bit of pleasure, there has to be some pain! Or is that just a sick way of looking at it...

Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    Great vid!
    Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Thanks for sharing! As I was watching I thought, "hmmm, that looks kinda familiar..." Then I realized that's the trail I did on New Year's Day! I'd never been on it before but it was a great ride and a little drier than what we had in Durango.
    Glad to hear it! Be sure to give Alien a try when you come down from the mountain as well.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    There is a new trail I will be trying soon called Mountain View (just need to find a riding buddy) off Navajo Dam Road. I hadn't thought of parking down in the valley, good idea, but having that climb at the end is what makes a great workout for me. For every little bit of pleasure, there has to be some pain! Or is that just a sick way of looking at it...
    Not sick at all, the pleasure/pain is just re-arranged.

I *think* that Mountain View connects up to Alien? At least that's what I heard when they did the last race out there.

Was looking about for this footage I thought I had posted before - riding the Green Goblin out at Kinsey's. Threw it in with with a couple of the dirt jumps at the bottom of 7 sisters, a brief dh cruise in Durango, and then some local night riding at the end. Sorry for the music transitions...

Ridges and Mesas from J Hazard on Vimeo.

May re-upload at a higher bit rate, some of the movement gets choppy. Usually, Pinkbike converts and plays smoother footage, but Vimeo is easier to embed for me.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Not sick at all, the pleasure/pain is just re-arranged.

I *think* that Mountain View connects up to Alien? At least that's what I heard when they did the last race out there.

May re-upload at a higher bit rate, some of the movement gets choppy. Usually, Pinkbike converts and plays smoother footage, but Vimeo is easier to embed for me.
    GREAT VID! Nice to see the action shots - do you even slow down for the first decent of Seven Sisters? It looked like you were just flying down that hill.

Yep, Mountain View is directly across the canyon from Alien, and somewhere there is a connecting trail, I just don't know where since I have yet to try it out. I would also assume it connects into the Outer Limits - another part I haven't tried. Racing Alien can't be easy, I would imagine trying to pass would be an absolute nightmare.
    I was asking the dude at Cottonwood if he had any maps for Barker, told him we were getting burnt on the local stuff - that is when I found out about Mountain View. We were supposed to try it Saturday, but that didn't happen, so I ran Seven Sisters.

Since I first posted this video up, I found out I was using the wrong compression on my videos! For the life of me, I could not figure out why my videos looked so bad - no more! Here is a 2.5 minute snippet of the above video using the correct compression. IMO, looks a heck of a lot better.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Thanks!

That compression on the newer vid looks SO much nicer, very clear with great saturation, almost seems like a different camera!. Looks like that cam does a great job for you. Really dig the speedometer and trail overlays too.

I really, really like the descent in to 7 Sisters. I crank pretty fast up to the signs to get good momentum built up, and do my best to stay off the brakes after that. It took me a few times to roll over that hill after the turn and NOT tap the brake levers, but it's such a rush when you finally let go. Bumpy and eye-watering fast, even if you have glasses on.

Guessing there's a lot of local knowledge regarding trails off the beaten path up there. I also heard of a trail that went from Aztec to Bloomfield, but is/was mostly atv trail, probably pretty sandy.. but it might just be rumor too, I never saw it. Bet you'll really dig Barker, it's very different from the in-town menu. Can't imagine racing Alien either, though there's some places on the slickrock you could squeeze around, there's not much room elsewhere unless you're fond of even more excessive baby-head dodging...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Thanks!

That compression on the newer vid looks SO much nicer, very clear with great saturation, almost seems like a different camera!. Looks like that cam does a great job for you. Really dig the speedometer and trail overlays too.

I really, really like the descent in to 7 Sisters. I crank pretty fast up to the signs to get good momentum built up, and do my best to stay off the brakes after that. It took me a few times to roll over that hill after the turn and NOT tap the brake levers, but it's such a rush when you finally let go. Bumpy and eye-watering fast, even if you have glasses on.

Guessing there's a lot of local knowledge regarding trails off the beaten path up there. I also heard of a trail that went from Aztec to Bloomfield, but is/was mostly atv trail, probably pretty sandy.. but it might just be rumor too, I never saw it. Bet you'll really dig Barker, it's very different from the in-town menu. Can't imagine racing Alien either, though there's some places on the slickrock you could squeeze around, there's not much room elsewhere unless you're fond of even more excessive baby-head dodging...
    I find myself really slowing down for that first descent, and even trail brake half way down (including the second descent). Watching your video gives me some motivation to start pushing it a little bit and test myself - at least with no brakes at the start anyway... I haven't heard anything about a trail from Aztec to Bloomfield, might have to do some prying around to get the scoop - will have to have two trucks for something like that. As far as Barker - those GPS coordinates on your site (which I cannot find now...) for the trailhead or the dome itself?

Airborne Flight Crew
    I believe the gps coords. are for the peak itself (not the trail head). I was not able to verify when I was there. I think I copied those from a mountaineering website when I was trying to research (also replied to your comment on my website, maybe you didn't get back to).

Either way, the only solid info I was able to find was the map I posted, which I copied from this website: Glade Run, Pinon Mesa, Barker Dome, and Road Apple Rally Bicycle Trail Maps, Farmington, New Mexico <---- that site is live, btw. Between the map, google earth, and some Barker Dome conversations here on mtbr, I was able to find my way in and around. Nothing is really marked, so its a lot of route-finding, and some of it obvious. The map is fairly accurate, and should keep you on course. Be sure to post up here if you take the adventure!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I believe the gps coords. are for the peak itself (not the trail head). I was not able to verify when I was there. I think I copied those from a mountaineering website when I was trying to research (also replied to your comment on my website, maybe you didn't get back to).

Either way, the only solid info I was able to find was the map I posted, which I copied from this website: Glade Run, Pinon Mesa, Barker Dome, and Road Apple Rally Bicycle Trail Maps, Farmington, New Mexico <---- that site is live, btw. Between the map, google earth, and some Barker Dome conversations here on mtbr, I was able to find my way in and around. Nothing is really marked, so its a lot of route-finding, and some of it obvious. The map is fairly accurate, and should keep you on course. Be sure to post up here if you take the adventure!
    The website I was on is not the same one that is in your signature, but I dug around last night and found it again! YES! Thank you for your response! This trail is on my "must ride" list for this coming spring. There isn't a whole lot of information regarding this trail out there - but hopefully with a bit more research I can form a gameplan and post it up. If I can find an overlay of the county roads over that topo map, I am golden. Thanks again!

Airborne Flight Crew

Oh, yeah forgot I changed it out of my signature... My blog website is www.jerryhazard.us

If I get some free time I'll trace the path from 170 to the trail head (and ill add it to my trail review). Its hard to describe in words but super easy to get to.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Oh, yeah forgot I changed it out of my signature... My blog website is JerryAaronHazard - Pictures and Words, moving or otherwise

If I get some free time I'll trace the path from 170 to the trail head (and ill add it to my trail review). Its hard to describe in words but super easy to get to.
    That would be most excellent of you, and VERY much appreicated!!

Resident Gear Head
    Jhazzard, still can't believe I didnt know you were in New Mexico when I was visitng and riding there last year over Labor Day, maybe I'll make another trip down there this summer
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    Jhazzard, still can't believe I didnt know you were in New Mexico when I was visitng and riding there last year over Labor Day, maybe I'll make another trip down there this summer
    Just bought a house, so we won't be moving any time soon. Give a headzup next time, be great to show you around!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Man! All that sand is a trip. Around here if I see a bunch of sand I'm sort of just surviving it.

Sweet riding. Some of those speeds were pretty awesome.
    Eric

Airborne Flight Crew

It's a really fun place to ride, takes a while to get comfortable with the speed thing on a couple of those because the dips in the trail are not uniform; there's not rhythm to them. The sand is an added *bonus*, lol.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Man! All that sand is a trip. Around here if I see a bunch of sand I'm sort of just surviving it.

Sweet riding. Some of those speeds were pretty awesome.
    x2 on that. Round where I live, it is hard pack or so sandy that you need a fat bike. Love these vids.