mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Where in canada?

Is there any canadian dealers of airborn bikes, because i cant afford the extra 300 shipping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Airborne themselves are the sole dealers of their bikes(unless you find someone selling theirs used). So the only way it can be done is that 300 shipping. Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were hoping for.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    wow, that sucks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    know of any bikes comparable to this one Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

Airborne Product Dude
    We know that $300 charge sucks, but that's what it ends up costing to ship such a huge box to Canada generally via Fed-Ex.

There have been some Canadian customers that have had their bikes shipped from the US to Canada via some sort of freight broker or forwarder, but I'm not certain of the details. May be worth it to you to look into it.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Where in canada?

Quote Originally Posted by bechsgaard View Post
    Comparable in the same price range? No not really. But look into the alternate shipping option Jeremy was talking about
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is there any canadian dealers of airborn bikes, because i cant afford the extra 300 shipping.
    Are you anywhere near the border? Get it shipped to a UPS store or similar and bring it over yourself. That's what I plan on doing in the not too distant future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    honestly any shipping method more than 100 bucks wont work for me, unless anyone knows the cost of these potential alternative shipment methods

mtbr member
    Wow, I just purchased a frame from England (Pipedream) and shipping was less than $150 or something and made it to me in less than one week. The box wasn't much smaller than the Airborne Goblin box. I don't know much about shipping but it looks as though Airborne has some huge international sales opportunities.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeware View Post
    Are you anywhere near the border? Get it shipped to a UPS store or similar and bring it over yourself. That's what I plan on doing in the not too distant future.
    If it's shipped to the US it should be free.

Airborne Product Dude
    Shipping a frame from UK to USA is much different than shipping a complete bike to Canada. The dimensional weight, and therefor shipping charge, goes up almost exponentially as box size increases. Plus there are some other charges associated with shipping into Canada. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk (honest!) but comparing the two is like apples to oranges; we've been down this road many times and there's a reason for our $300 charge. That's what it costs.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd hate to mention other companies in an Airborne forum, but in this case, I'd check out Chain Reaction Cycles, which I believe ships internationally. Here is a bike that is comparable to the Guardian. Shipping is Sram X4, so that is one level down, and its also an 8 speed instead of a 9 speed. The fork is an XC30, so that is slightly better than the XC28 on the Guardian, and while the brakes aren't hydros, the Avid BB5s it comes with are pretty good:

Vitus Bikes Zircon 29 Hardtail Bike 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I've never ordered from Chain Reaction Cycles, but I hear they are pretty good. If you decide to order, please let us know how much it cost to ship to Canada - I'm sure there are other Canadians who might want to know if Airborne isn't an option for them right now.

EDIT

Here is a thread on mtbr about Chain Reaction Cycles shipping to Canada:

Chain Reaction Cycles shipping to Canada

It would also probably be a good idea to purchase with PayPal, as you get 45 days of purchase protection if the package gets lost or damaged . If you use your credit card, that would give you additional protection.
    Last edited by getagrip; 03-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    OP, I would look at getting the bike shipped close to the border and then go and pick it up. This is what I did when they had the free shipping promo on and the bike taken out of the box fits in the trunk of a very small car. if you have to claim the bike you are going to get nailed with not only 13%GST but like 10 or 12%?? duty.
    Sorry Airborne buts that's a brutal fact for us poor saps in Canada. I'm sure the cdn sales are no where near what they need to be to justify having a small whse set up in Canada but who knows maybe some day.

mtbr member
    Google border shipping depot near your area. Ship it there, go pick it up.

I faced several hundred dollar shipping charges for a frame from the US to Canada. So i shipped it for free to a border outlet, and spent a few hours one morning and 50 bucks in gas to go pick it up.

mtbr member
    some resources for duty:

Duty free "bike parts"

Importing Bikes and Parts to Canada ? Vancruisers.ca

You're pretty much at the mercy of the officer though. IME they may or may not charge you duty. You'll have to pay applicable federal/provincial tax so make sure you take your receipt/invoice.

Airborne Product Dude
    Since this (old) thread was started, we've had several Canadian customers use this service:

CBI USA | US Mailbox Rental & US Shipping Address Services

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Where in Canada are you?