Thread: Wheel decision

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Wheel decision

I've decided to upgrade the wheel set on my Guardian, and I've narrowed it down to either a the Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro (XC), or the Charger Pro(AM). At the moment I'm leaning toward the Charger Pro, the set is only 125 grams heavier and I figure it will be stronger being an All Mountain wheel set. At 248lbs (and dropping) I figure stronger is better, considering the minimal weight difference. Any input?
    Last edited by swildnm; 10-31-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added links...

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    I've decided to upgrade the wheel set on my Guardian, and I've narrowed it down to either a the Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro (XC), or the Charger Pro(AM). At the moment I'm leaning toward the Charger Pro, the set is only 125 grams heavier and I figure it will be stronger being an All Mountain wheel set. At 248lbs (and dropping) I figure stronger is better, considering the minimal weight difference. Any input?
    IMHO the added security of the stronger wheelset outweighs (no oun intended!) the 125 gram weight savings.

I've been riding the Black Flag Pros for about 6-7 months as has Emily who races for us. I'm 6'1" and weighing in at 220lbs (and dropping!) and they've been a good wheelset for me. They are stiff, but not quite as stiff as my CrossMax 29er wheels. I did have a few spokes loosen up on me (as did Emily) almost immediately, within the first week, but once I trued and retentionsioned everything they've been bullet-proof and I haven't needed to touch them. My contact at Sun-Ringle told me there was a small batch earlier this year that had a tension issue and apparently ours were from that.

The one other thing to mention about the BFP's is that the rim sidewalls are tall, meaning that if you have a tire with a bead ID falling at the lower end of acceptable, it will be a tight fit getting the tire on the rim. Nothing that my thumbs couldn't overcome, but it was definitely tighter than putting the same tire on my CrossMax wheels.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So you agree that the Charger may be the better choice? Any other differences between the two that I should consider between the two? I don't really know much about wheels.

Airborne Product Dude
    It appears to me that the spokes and hubs are the same for both wheelsets, the main difference being the rim widths. The wider rim is going to be stronger in theory.
    Airborne Dude.

MTB Fanatic
    You're probably going to get a lot more input on questions like these in the wheelset forum. But definitely post pics when you get your Guardian upgraded. There aren't many pics of upgraded Guardians out there.
    Nathan