Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

What are your thoughts on the Guardian?

Okay so I have the choice between two different bikes. The Specialized Hard Rock Disc Sport 29er or the Airborne Guardian. I know the forks on the Guardian are better and it is cheaper and recommended by most, but I went to my LBS today and rode the Hard Rock and it rode very smoothly. I don't know what to chose between and at my LBS I get free tune ups and what not, but I don't know if the is a Bike shop near me that carries the Airborne and I don't know if the airborne is warrantied.
    Could someone convince me to switch to the airborne?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Airborne does only direct sales, no retail. so you'd have to find someone who has one in a reasonable size for you to test drive.
    The frames are lifetime warrantied by airborne, and components carry their manufacturer warranty.
    As far as tune ups go, I would advise you to learn enough to do them yourself. It doesn't take much investment in tools to do basic tune-ups on a bike. And the experience you gain maintaining your own bike will probably pay off when something goes wrong on the trail.

I love my Guardian.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So if you could choose again would you go with the Guardian (O am assuming you would...) or the Specialized I mentioned?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The guardian is 9 speed, the hardrock is 8, I think the truvative crankset is a little better than the suntour. The XC 28 fork has a rebound adjust, the Suntour on the hard rock doesn't appear to. I also prefer the sram drive train to the Shimano/Sunrace on the Hardrock.

So yes, I'd buy my guardian again over the specialized.

mtbr member
    you're definitely in the wrong forum to get an unbiased answer since most people here will have an Airborne product

that being said. yes get the Guardian lol. For my Guardian I ended up paying the $599 + $75 for shipping. A single tune up at a LBS for $40 and that was it (minus my upgrades). The rest of the maintenance came from watching youtube

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah I understand that it will be a biased answer. I think I am going with the Guardian.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I figured if you were asking hear you were leaning toward the Guardian anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The only thing I heard about the guardian was that it needed new wheel set and fork eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Same goes for anything in this price range. I enjoy upgrading and customizing, so the guardian was a good place for me to start.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbman View Post
    The only thing I heard about the guardian was that it needed new wheel set and fork eventually.
    Hey there, thanks for the interest in the Guardian!

It's true that any bike in the sub-$2K price-range probably should have the wheels on the short-list to be upgraded eventually. That's the nature of building the best bike possible for the money.

As far as the fork goes, the fork on the Guardian is great for average weight, beginning to mid-level enthusiast riders. Heavier riders or folks that are more hardcore will want to upgrade to an air fork like the Recon, or the Reba that comes stock on the Goblin.

We've sold a lot of Guardians to a lot of happy customers. It's a great bike that makes a good platform to improve upon as the rider progresses or gets more serious.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

NeedGod.com
    I test-rode a ton of bikes before I chose the Guardian. You can't find more bike in the $600 range, that I can promise you. (unless you buy used, which I am unwilling to do for a mountain bike)

I'm not a beginner. I've been doing this for around 20 years, but my budget is tight with 2 kids and bills, so I went this route. That said, the Guardian is a great bike and will probably last me a few years. It would last me much longer if I were a beginner, but I already feel like the weight is holding me back. I tend to not think it's worth it to spend a ton of money on a beginner-level bike, so I won't upgrade it much. Whether you're a beginner or veteran, this is a very solid bike. There will always be things you can upgrade. (I did a tubeless conversion to start that really helped)
    Nathan

mtbr member
    May 2012
    In my opinion its the best bike for the price. Thats why i bought it.

mtbr member
    KBman, where are you located? betting we can find you one to test ride!

also, list your stats. height, weight, cycling inseam. these will help pick the right frame size for you. plus, the weight will help to lay out your upgrade needs, and what order they will be set to.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I know the frame size I need. No more than 16.5" and I weigh 160 height 5'8". And I am located in South Florida.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbman View Post
    I know the frame size I need. No more than 16.5" and I weigh 160 height 5'8". And I am located in South Florida.
    yup the 16" frame will be perfect for you (assuming your inseam is normal to your height). I'm 5'7" 145 and the 16" is almost perfect (wish I was at the very least 5'8" or had longer legs).

And... the fork shouldn't need upgrading at your weight unless you do some pretty intense riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

New question here.

Are the frames on the guardian, goblin and the new goblin the same?

if so,

would a beginner like myself (6'1 190lbs 34"in seem) looking to ride trail do better starting out on guardian and upgrading along the way while saving the extra money initially?

I have read that many people compare the new goblin to it's nearest competition around $1600 or soo..

that being said,

how price range would you compare the guardian to offer vs a competitor?

thanks,
    Last edited by dlynes; 11-29-2012 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It is my understanding the the Gaudian and the original green Goblin shared the same frame.
    The new black Goblin now has a tapered head tube and fork, which sitffens up the front end.
    Also clearance was added in the rear chain stays.

ALthought the geo might be the same, the frames are not.

If you can swing it, go for the new Goblin (not even sure the old one is still available in the size you need) over the Gaurdian.

The components upgrades alone are worth it. You wouldn't have to upgrade unless you wanted to cut weight. I was surprised how light and nimble my 18" Gobln feels. Just wish I could ride it more than I have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
    It is my understanding the the Gaudian and the original green Goblin shared the same frame.
    The new black Goblin now has a tapered head tube and fork, which sitffens up the front end.
    Also clearance was added in the rear chain stays.

ALthought the geo might be the same, the frames are not.

If you can swing it, go for the new Goblin (not even sure the old one is still available in the size you need) over the Gaurdian.

The components upgrades alone are worth it. You wouldn't have to upgrade unless you wanted to cut weight. I was surprised how light and nimble my 18" Gobln feels. Just wish I could ride it more than I have.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys, Looking at getting this bike for the wife. What size of frame do you think? Here's her "specs" (lol)

5'4"
    34 inseam
    112 pounds
    Arm reach 28"
    crotch to sternum 17"

16" or 18" frame?
    Last edited by motoolfan; 12-02-2012 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    16 inch would be the best for her.

my wife has tried riding my 18 and says it feels uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    That's what I was thinking, still undecided about the guardian or new goblin. Will probably go with the new goblin.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by motoolfan View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, Looking at getting this bike for the wife. What size of frame do you think? Here's her "specs" (lol)

5'4"
    34 inseam
    112 pounds
    Arm reach 28"
    crotch to sternum 17"

16" or 18" frame?
    Your wife has a 34 inch inseam?

I am almost 5'11.5 and I am maybe a 32...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
    Your wife has a 34 inch inseam?

I am almost 5'11.5 and I am maybe a 32...
    I found it hard to believe as well, but she does. She's literally all legs, lol.

Airborne Product Dude
    Wow! That's almost my inseam and I'm 6'1"~!

With her shorter torso, she'd be on a 16 for certain, but with long legs she's going to need to invest in a 410mm Thomson seatpost. The stock 350mm post isn't going to be long enough for her.

Thanks!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Wow! That's almost my inseam and I'm 6'1"~!

With her shorter torso, she'd be on a 16 for certain, but with long legs she's going to need to invest in a 410mm Thomson seatpost. The stock 350mm post isn't going to be long enough for her.

Thanks!
    I figured as much, lol. Thanks for the info, will be giving you all a call soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast