mtbr member
    Jun 2014

What is the max tire size that will fit on a Seeker/Goblin Frame

I am asking Santa for a tire upgrade for Christmas and trying to figure out if a 2.25 and 2.4 width tire will fit.(both front and back) I am thinking about an Maxxis Ardent EX 2.4 or a WTB Trail Boss which comes in 2.25 or 2.4 widths. I measured the frame and fork and it seems like a 2.4 will fit both front and back (front has more clearance). Has anyone actually mounted wider tires to the stock rims? I am not planning on a rim upgrade at this point. Also, I am a Clyde, so I am hoping the extra volume in the tire will help the performance by allowing lower tire pressures. Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Tire size

I would think 2.25 would be the biggest. I thought I remember Airborne saying they used the wider press fit BB on the Evo so they could get wider tires on that bike. It comes with the 2.4 Ardents. Your front fork will generally have more clearance than the back. How about 2.4 front and 2.25 back?

Quote Originally Posted by Bttocs View Post
    I am asking Santa for a tire upgrade for Christmas and trying to figure out if a 2.25 and 2.4 width tire will fit.(both front and back) I am thinking about an Maxxis Ardent EX 2.4 or a WTB Trail Boss which comes in 2.25 or 2.4 widths. I measured the frame and fork and it seems like a 2.4 will fit both front and back (front has more clearance). Has anyone actually mounted wider tires to the stock rims? I am not planning on a rim upgrade at this point. Also, I am a Clyde, so I am hoping the extra volume in the tire will help the performance by allowing lower tire pressures. Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Using a 2.4 front and a 2.25 rear should?? fit pretty well. I have seen a lot of posts from riders on other bikes that run that combo. For the NE trails I ride and the skill level I am at, I am looking for more traction in the rear and more "cushion" in the rear. I can spin the rear tire really easy going up steep climbs, especially over roots and rocks. I know it has a lot to due with weight distribution, but the traction of the tire is a big player as well. I am not riding fast enough yet on the trails to be pushing the front tire to its limits. The Recon fork does a fine job up front of smoothing the bumps, so I don't need more cushion up front, I need more cushion in the rear. Hence the rear is where I really want to increase the tire traction and volume and run lower pressures. I plan to go tubeless with the new tire set as well.

I think the riders who run the larger front tires are on hard packed fast trials, with long downhills that allow for some high speeds. It makes sense to need more front traction in that type of riding. I am on tight, twisty wooded trails with constant ups and downs and lots of turns. You never get going very fast in the woods, but the short steep climbs are really a challenge when they are rooty and rocky. That is what I am looking for the new tire to help with. One of the guys I ride with said he bought a much more aggressive rear tire and can't spin out on the climbs anymore due to the increased grip, its now just how much horse power he has in his motor.

Thinking about it, when I raced motoX we always ran larger diameter, narrower tires in the front and smaller, wider tires in the back. The back was always a monster knobby while the front was a much milder tread. I suppose if I bought one 2.25 and one 2.4 I could try putting the 2.4 in the back and see if it fits. If not, then the 2.4 goes on the front where I think it fits pretty well. This seems to be opposite convention, but maybe I will start a new trend.