Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What does your Airborne ride?

13K views 73 replies 36 participants last post by  OilburnerDe 
#1 ·
How does your Airborne get to the trail head? Mine rides on the back of my Sorento in its Saris rack. I love having the hitch rack because it allows me to leave both car seats in the back so I don't have to keep taking them out every time I go for a ride. Plus, the Saris has the weight capacity to carry two downhill bikes, so it should last me a long time.

See less See more
#6 ·
I take the front wheel off and it goes in here. For now. I'm getting a Forester soon and I'm hoping it will fit without taking the front wheel off.

View attachment 742354
Hey that parking lot looks familiar!

I have a Yakima Hold-Up hitch rack on my Pathfinder that carries two bikes, with the additional two bike plug-in I can add. Also have two trays and three wheel holders on top of it, for a total capacity of 6 bikes at one time if needed.

I use the hitch rack most often if I am only carrying a bike or two. It's nice to not have to remove the front wheel. It also keeps the bikes out of the airflow which cuts down on wind noise and probably helps gas mileage.

The downside is I am always paranoid of someone rear-ending me and it is a little tight sometimes in parking lots with an extra 5 feet on the rear of the truck.

#4 ·
I carry mine with 3 different cars depending on how far away I'm going. I have a platform hitch rack for my Pathfinder. Fold the seats down and take front wheel off to put in my 88 Mustang GT. And I take the passenger and back seat out of my Festiva and take the front wheel off to put it in, haha

#20 ·
1Up 1UPUSA.com :: Home I literally went back and forth for a couple of months trying to decide between this and the Kuat. I really like it. No plastic, nothing to wear out, goes on and off in seconds. It takes about 10-15 seconds to take off or add trays if you want to haul more bikes. It almost seems absurdly over built.

So Big Daddy, what was it you were saying about buying 2 Airborne's and getting a 3rd one half price? I have a 3rd tray for this thing on order that needs something to fill it. ;)

#21 ·
LOL. Suuuuuuuurrrrrre. :)

I really like that rack. The one thing I don't like about my Yakima is the plastic bits; in the past year I've lost two of the end caps and broken one of the plastic sliders for the front wheel clamps. Do the wheel holders go wide enough to accomodate a 4" wide fatbike tire?

Mind if we use your photo on our facebook homepage as a photo of the day?

Thanks!

Jeremy

#22 ·
Can't blame me for trying.

Yep, but you have to buy a spacer kit for $29.

Feel free to use it however you wish.

On another note, the brand is starting to be recognized. I've had a number of people seem them and ask a ton of questions. I even let a guy do a quick test ride earlier this week, while I held his attractive girl friend as collateral :)

#24 ·
Mine was only $498 shipped to the door for two bikes. However, $500 for a bike rack does seem steep, but it's in line with Kuat and the nicer Thule racks. The solace is I can't see this thing ever wearing out or breaking unless I back it into something hard. The other thing is that my wife has been riding the greenway with me on our road bikes and my old rack required that I readjust everything before and after and it was such a pain I was avoiding it.

I was looking at Niner's when I bought my 2nd Goblin. I'm just saying that all the money I saved is justification. I'm not sure how many more times I can use that excuse though :D

#32 ·
Looks nice, and so do all of the improvements you've done to your Guardian so far!

Some of you guys may find your pics up on our Facebook page if that's OK with you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.