Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Idea! Weighed my black Goblin

Was curious since I'm planning to upgrade the wheelset soon so I weighed my bike for a baseline:

27.8 pounds or 12,610 grams.

This is after saving about 270g by swapping to a 169g carbon bar (stock was 339g) and lighter seatpost (240g versus 349g stock).

I can probably drop another 2-3lbs by going tubeless with carbon wheels and lighter tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What size frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Whoops. That matters doesn't it? 18" frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is this still with tubes on the stock wheelset?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes. Stock tubes, tires and wheels. I have only replaced the handlebars, seat post, stem and chain. (New is SRAM PC 1091R with hollow links, might be lighter than stock.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wheels/tires will make a huge change.

I'm running Black Flag Pros and S-Works Renegade in back and S-Works Fastrack in front...both set up tubeless. Prior to that my bike had some other mods that didn't change the weight much. Like yours, mine was at around 28.3lbs. with MG-1 pedals. Oh, and it's a 16".

After the wheels/tires, the weight dropped to 25.3lbs. I also changed to 1x10 which dropped the total weight to about 24.4lbs., and that's with stock stem, bars and seat post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    After the wheels/tires, the weight dropped to 25.3lbs. I also changed to 1x10 which dropped the total weight to about 24.4lbs., and that's with stock stem, bars and seat post.
    Wow! I was hoping for a nice reduction but that's just excellent!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah, the real weight in a Goblin is those wheels/tires/tubes. The wheelset saves around 1.5lbs but a simple change to a lightweight tire can save another 1.5lbs easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I hope I can find some tires that are light but still have the tread I need for the terrain around here. The AKA are OK but heavy as hell for how paper thin they are.

I loved my tubeless Ignitor and High Roller combination when I had my 26er.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Obviously if you want to save some $$ but want to lighten it right away, you can get the Stans kit for the Speed Disk wheels and just get a lighter tire. Even with the weight of the Stans, there is still around 1.5lbs to be had on the cheap. The Geax AKAs are pretty badly understated for weight. I and others have weighed them. They are closer to 900g than the advertised 750g. Even if you figured that the Stans kit would be roughly the weight of a tube, a couple of 550g tires would save you about 700g

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's a good point. I only have experience with Bontrager rim strips (not tape) when going tubeless but I guess I can give it the college try. When I converted a set of Dusters before I used UST tires and no sealant.

Guess I could get the valves (already have sealant), tape and some tires and that would hold me over for the new carbon set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just out of curiosity, what wheelset are you getting? And what is the advertised weight?

I found that the BFs were at 1800g set up for QR with the rim strips already installed. So they were pretty accurate in their claim of 1725g.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I think I'm going to jump on the Light Bicycle wheelset at around 1460g for the set.

My second choice are the Stans Arch EX but they're a bit heavier.

Pardon my ignorance but what's "BF"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    BF = Black Flag

Wow! Those are light. Gives you a little more leeway to get a heavier tire for your riding style and location.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ahh, Black Flag... I've heard good things about those.

My only concern is that I'm 230lbs right now and that's right at the weight limit for the carbon wheels. I could stand to lose a few pounds though... only 15-20 though as after that it would have to be muscle.

Guess I should look up the weight limit of the Arch Ex...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I dont know about the Goblin wheelset, but even the FlowEX's are lighter than the wheelset on my Seeker, and super durable.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iso100 View Post
    I think I'm going to jump on the Light Bicycle wheelset at around 1460g for the set.

My second choice are the Stans Arch EX but they're a bit heavier.

Pardon my ignorance but what's "BF"?
    Hey iso - I was reading up on those wheels and they mention Shimano cassettes only. Are you going to change out your SRAM to get that wheelset to work or will it even matter?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well crap. I didn't realize that! Hmm... I wonder if hub choice makes a difference. Perhaps I'll just get the rims and have the LBS build them up with hubs I provide.

My replacement wheel is on the way set to arrive today so I yanked off the stock rear wheel assembly and weighed it. This is with wheel, tube, tire, rotor, cassette and skewer.

You might want to sit down for this...

2955g! That's 6.5lbs in rear wheel only. HOLY!

mtbr member
    WOW! That is nuts! It's hard to believe that most the weight of the bike is from the wheels. I can say that mine probably weighs a bit more as I use thick walled tubes and 4oz of slime to keep the goatheads at bay. I have been looking at wheelsets myself, but cannot justify the funds at the moment, especially with christmas right around the corner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I weighed the front wheel assembly, complete just a minute ago. It's 2338g. That makes the total stock setup 5293g or 11.6lbs.

My Geax AKA tire weighed in even heavier that someone else's at 926g. That's just insane. You can go full UST for less than that.

The rear wheel/hub bare is 1243g... and if the weight of those light-bike Carbon wheels is to be believed at 1460 for BOTH... that's just... amazing. WANT.

mtbr member
    I know what you mean good sir! I have way too many bike outlet stores set to favorites, and love looking for killer deals. I have a set of Conti Trails ready to go on the bike once I finish murdering the Geax tread, but, I see some Ignitors with a kevlar bead weighing in a 575g's each. I am not sure that is 100 percent accurate, but that is a light tire!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just weighed the stock wheels and tires with no skewers, cassette, or rotors.The stock set -front and rear- weigh over 10.25 lbs. and around half of that is in the tires and tubes. With race tires (at the opposite end of the weight range) you can save 2lbs of bike weight with the stock wheelset.

The stock Speed Disc rims are a good mid level, reasonably light set. The hubs are a little bit heavy but not excessively so. They are similar to a SRAM x7 hubset. I've wondered if there would be an advantage to sourcing some better bearings for them like ceramic or something.

Since the overall wheelset weight is in the 2200+g area, it's really not terrible. Obviously about 1.5lbs can be lost, but we shouldn't sell the stock set short. It's a good entry-mid level set. The tires are heavy though

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run a VeeRubber Speed-R Folding 29x2.4 on the front. Rated at 680 grams and very very noticeably lighter than the AKA's (as I would expect a folding bead to be.) Even a friend commented on it out of the blue when he was handling my front wheel.

If the ignitors are 575 and work well set up tubeless, on a set of carbon wheels, that would be a very light front wheel.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Too many options and not enough money!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Hey iso - I was reading up on those wheels and they mention Shimano cassettes only. Are you going to change out your SRAM to get that wheelset to work or will it even matter?
    From what I've read and seen, almost all freehubs can use cassettes from both SRAM and Shimano since they are based on the same Hyperglide spline spacing. This is the current standard. So if they mention Shimano, SRAM would very likely fit.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast