Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Idea! Weighed my black Goblin

Was curious since I'm planning to upgrade the wheelset soon so I weighed my bike for a baseline:

27.8 pounds or 12,610 grams.

This is after saving about 270g by swapping to a 169g carbon bar (stock was 339g) and lighter seatpost (240g versus 349g stock).

I can probably drop another 2-3lbs by going tubeless with carbon wheels and lighter tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What size frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Whoops. That matters doesn't it? 18" frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is this still with tubes on the stock wheelset?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes. Stock tubes, tires and wheels. I have only replaced the handlebars, seat post, stem and chain. (New is SRAM PC 1091R with hollow links, might be lighter than stock.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wheels/tires will make a huge change.

I'm running Black Flag Pros and S-Works Renegade in back and S-Works Fastrack in front...both set up tubeless. Prior to that my bike had some other mods that didn't change the weight much. Like yours, mine was at around 28.3lbs. with MG-1 pedals. Oh, and it's a 16".

After the wheels/tires, the weight dropped to 25.3lbs. I also changed to 1x10 which dropped the total weight to about 24.4lbs., and that's with stock stem, bars and seat post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    After the wheels/tires, the weight dropped to 25.3lbs. I also changed to 1x10 which dropped the total weight to about 24.4lbs., and that's with stock stem, bars and seat post.
    Wow! I was hoping for a nice reduction but that's just excellent!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah, the real weight in a Goblin is those wheels/tires/tubes. The wheelset saves around 1.5lbs but a simple change to a lightweight tire can save another 1.5lbs easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I hope I can find some tires that are light but still have the tread I need for the terrain around here. The AKA are OK but heavy as hell for how paper thin they are.

I loved my tubeless Ignitor and High Roller combination when I had my 26er.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Obviously if you want to save some $$ but want to lighten it right away, you can get the Stans kit for the Speed Disk wheels and just get a lighter tire. Even with the weight of the Stans, there is still around 1.5lbs to be had on the cheap. The Geax AKAs are pretty badly understated for weight. I and others have weighed them. They are closer to 900g than the advertised 750g. Even if you figured that the Stans kit would be roughly the weight of a tube, a couple of 550g tires would save you about 700g

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's a good point. I only have experience with Bontrager rim strips (not tape) when going tubeless but I guess I can give it the college try. When I converted a set of Dusters before I used UST tires and no sealant.

Guess I could get the valves (already have sealant), tape and some tires and that would hold me over for the new carbon set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just out of curiosity, what wheelset are you getting? And what is the advertised weight?

I found that the BFs were at 1800g set up for QR with the rim strips already installed. So they were pretty accurate in their claim of 1725g.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I think I'm going to jump on the Light Bicycle wheelset at around 1460g for the set.

My second choice are the Stans Arch EX but they're a bit heavier.

Pardon my ignorance but what's "BF"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    BF = Black Flag

Wow! Those are light. Gives you a little more leeway to get a heavier tire for your riding style and location.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ahh, Black Flag... I've heard good things about those.

My only concern is that I'm 230lbs right now and that's right at the weight limit for the carbon wheels. I could stand to lose a few pounds though... only 15-20 though as after that it would have to be muscle.

Guess I should look up the weight limit of the Arch Ex...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I dont know about the Goblin wheelset, but even the FlowEX's are lighter than the wheelset on my Seeker, and super durable.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iso100 View Post
    I think I'm going to jump on the Light Bicycle wheelset at around 1460g for the set.

My second choice are the Stans Arch EX but they're a bit heavier.

Pardon my ignorance but what's "BF"?
    Hey iso - I was reading up on those wheels and they mention Shimano cassettes only. Are you going to change out your SRAM to get that wheelset to work or will it even matter?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well crap. I didn't realize that! Hmm... I wonder if hub choice makes a difference. Perhaps I'll just get the rims and have the LBS build them up with hubs I provide.

My replacement wheel is on the way set to arrive today so I yanked off the stock rear wheel assembly and weighed it. This is with wheel, tube, tire, rotor, cassette and skewer.

You might want to sit down for this...

2955g! That's 6.5lbs in rear wheel only. HOLY!

mtbr member
    WOW! That is nuts! It's hard to believe that most the weight of the bike is from the wheels. I can say that mine probably weighs a bit more as I use thick walled tubes and 4oz of slime to keep the goatheads at bay. I have been looking at wheelsets myself, but cannot justify the funds at the moment, especially with christmas right around the corner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I weighed the front wheel assembly, complete just a minute ago. It's 2338g. That makes the total stock setup 5293g or 11.6lbs.

My Geax AKA tire weighed in even heavier that someone else's at 926g. That's just insane. You can go full UST for less than that.

The rear wheel/hub bare is 1243g... and if the weight of those light-bike Carbon wheels is to be believed at 1460 for BOTH... that's just... amazing. WANT.

mtbr member
    I know what you mean good sir! I have way too many bike outlet stores set to favorites, and love looking for killer deals. I have a set of Conti Trails ready to go on the bike once I finish murdering the Geax tread, but, I see some Ignitors with a kevlar bead weighing in a 575g's each. I am not sure that is 100 percent accurate, but that is a light tire!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just weighed the stock wheels and tires with no skewers, cassette, or rotors.The stock set -front and rear- weigh over 10.25 lbs. and around half of that is in the tires and tubes. With race tires (at the opposite end of the weight range) you can save 2lbs of bike weight with the stock wheelset.

The stock Speed Disc rims are a good mid level, reasonably light set. The hubs are a little bit heavy but not excessively so. They are similar to a SRAM x7 hubset. I've wondered if there would be an advantage to sourcing some better bearings for them like ceramic or something.

Since the overall wheelset weight is in the 2200+g area, it's really not terrible. Obviously about 1.5lbs can be lost, but we shouldn't sell the stock set short. It's a good entry-mid level set. The tires are heavy though

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run a VeeRubber Speed-R Folding 29x2.4 on the front. Rated at 680 grams and very very noticeably lighter than the AKA's (as I would expect a folding bead to be.) Even a friend commented on it out of the blue when he was handling my front wheel.

If the ignitors are 575 and work well set up tubeless, on a set of carbon wheels, that would be a very light front wheel.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Too many options and not enough money!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Hey iso - I was reading up on those wheels and they mention Shimano cassettes only. Are you going to change out your SRAM to get that wheelset to work or will it even matter?
    From what I've read and seen, almost all freehubs can use cassettes from both SRAM and Shimano since they are based on the same Hyperglide spline spacing. This is the current standard. So if they mention Shimano, SRAM would very likely fit.

mtbr member
    Shimano and SRAM are the same pattern. This "shimano call-out" is really a symptom from road bike sales where there are two cassette standards: Campagnolo and Shimano.

SRAM follows Shimano's standard.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm waffling a bit but think even going with the Arch EX's I can save some weight. My stock wheels can have low-tread tires for road training/conditioning and then I can just swap to the Arch EX's and real tires for trails.

Someone was spreading horror stories about the liability of customs mis-declarations falling on the recipient (me) with those Chinese wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks Jeremy, that totally helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    From what I've read and seen, almost all freehubs can use cassettes from both SRAM and Shimano since they are based on the same Hyperglide spline spacing. This is the current standard. So if they mention Shimano, SRAM would very likely fit.
    Good point!

mtbr member

Re: Weighed my black Goblin

I have a set of arch ex's laced to hope pro 2 evo's on my goblin and there was a very noticeable difference right off the bat. I went tubeless with the original aka's and the difference from stock was incredible!

But the bike really came alive when I put on some folding aka's (~700g) after the originals wore out....wow! For a total investment of less than $500, its definitely worth the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I have a set of arch ex's laced to hope pro 2 evo's on my goblin and there was a very noticeable difference right off the bat. I went tubeless with the original aka's and the difference from stock was incredible!

But the bike really came alive when I put on some folding aka's (~700g) after the originals wore out....wow! For a total investment of less than $500, its definitely worth the money.
    Now this is what I want to hear! What were your thoughts on the AKAs tubeless on the Arch EX? I was considering just doing that and then getting better tires when they wore out. Granted, it's only another $100 or so for a set of nice Maxxis TLR tires...

mtbr member

I'm waffling a bit but think even going with the Arch EX's I can save some weight. My stock wheels can have low-tread tires for road training/conditioning and then I can just swap to the Arch EX's and real tires for trails.

Someone was spreading horror stories about the liability of customs mis-declarations falling on the recipient (me) with those Chinese wheels.
    I ordered from these guys across the pond and have been very pleased

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/wheel...t-p-13280.html

They now have the new version of the hope hubs with 40t engagement...for $432 its a great deal. Also they sell a kit with stans sealant, tape and valve stems. British shops sell conti tires dirt cheap too so if you like them you can get wheels, tires, and a tubeless kit for about $550

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Wow, that's impressive! How much did shipping set you back though?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    HOLY CRAP SHIPPING IS FREE. I'm about to pull the trigger...

mtbr member

Now this is what I want to hear! What were your thoughts on the AKAs tubeless on the Arch EX? I was considering just doing that and then getting better tires when they wore out. Granted, it's only another $100 or so for a set of nice Maxxis TLR tires...
    I love the aka's tubeless on the arch ex. I think they have plenty of traction but a bit of a learning curve....you really have to lean the bike into turns to get the most traction from the bigger side knobs.

And actually if you get the arch's do NOT get tubeless ready tires! Theyre designed to be run tubeless with regular folding or wire bead tires. Tubeless ready tires are for wheels with UST bead hooks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Whoa, I didn't know that. That widens my tire options and makes them even lighter, right?

mtbr member

Sure does! I don't know about the tlr tire/stans rim problem from first hand experience, just horror stories from other people (mainly on mtbr)

But my experience mounting regular tires was super easy, but you'll probably need an air compressor. I just put my bike in the back of my truck and used the one at the gas station

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Interesting. I (still) have a set of Bontrager Dusters (26") that I got the rim strips for and mounted Maxxis UST tires on them. I was able to get the beads to pop on the first try with a floor pump.

Is it generally far harder to get non TR/UST tires to seat up properly?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    And actually if you get the arch's do NOT get tubeless ready tires! Theyre designed to be run tubeless with regular folding or wire bead tires. Tubeless ready tires are for wheels with UST bead hooks
    From Stan's site:

"Stan’s NoTubes mountain rims and converted tube-type mountain rims will work successfully tubeless with most types of tires including standard tube-type tires, tubeless ready tires, and tubeless specific tires"

Compatible Tubeless Tires:
    Most Tubeless tires are compatible:
    UST, LUST, UST-lite, 2Bliss, Tubeless Ready, TNT (tube no tube)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My custom Arch EX wheel set is on order as of today... I guess I really need to figure out the tire situation soon...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I mounted up a UST ardent exo on my flow ex without a problem. When I initially seated the tire there wasn't even any air coming out (I put sealant in anyways).

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    From Stan's site:

"Stan’s NoTubes mountain rims and converted tube-type mountain rims will work successfully tubeless with most types of tires including standard tube-type tires, tubeless ready tires, and tubeless specific tires"

Compatible Tubeless Tires:
    Most Tubeless tires are compatible:
    UST, LUST, UST-lite, 2Bliss, Tubeless Ready, TNT (tube no tube)
    Like I said, I don't have any first hand experience mounting tr tires, but have heard from many people that they're a major pain to mount. Especially the geax TNT tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Like I said, I don't have any first hand experience mounting tr tires, but have heard from many people that they're a major pain to mount. Especially the geax TNT tires
    I posted information to correct your misinformation about what Stan's rims are designed to run, not to debate user experiences you read about on the internetz. My first hand experience is that Specialized's line of 2Bliss tires mount beautifully to Stan's rims and can be mounted with a simple hand pump.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Goblin complete teardown and weight

Well, since we are getting hit with some pretty nasty weather I decided to tear the bike completely down and weigh everything since it was going to get a nice clean and once over.

Hope this helps!! Obviously, these may not be 100 percent accurate due to scale differences, so don't hold it against me. I used my digital kitchen scale that measures to the gram, and all items are stock minus pedals and seat, as the seat was chucked last week from failure, YMMV.

Weights and Measures
    Frame - 1872g
    Stock Stem - 138g
    Front QR Skewer - 56g
    Rear QR Skewer - 62g
    Rear Cast Derailleur Hanger- 13g
    Rear Hanger Screw - 2g
    Chain - 248g minus 2 links with Powerlink
    Bar End Caps (pair) - 4g
    Stock Bars - 339g
    Grips (pair) - 80g
    Seatpost and Hardware - 346g
    Seat (off my Giant) - 290g
    Seat Clamp - 30g
    22T Inner Chainring - 46g
    38T Outer Chainring - 77g
    All Crankbolts, nuts, and washers 2x10 - 31g
    Front Derailleur Assy. - 146g
    Front Derailleur Shifter, Housings, and Cable - 148g
    Non-Drive Side Crank Arm (includes cap) - 230g
    Drive Side Crank Arm and Shaft - 419g
    Star Nut and Bolt - 18g
    Stem Cap - 9g
    Crown Race - 14g
    Top Bearing - 21g
    Bottom Bearing - 34g
    Split Washer - 1g
    Upper Bearing Cap and Dust Shield - 11g
    Headset Spacers - 35g total
    - small - 5g each
    - large - 10g each
    Reba Shock - 1576
    BB with Dust Shields - 110g
    2.5 BB Shims (pair) - 4g
    Rear Derailleur - 246g
    Rear Derailleur Shifter, Housings, and Cable - 165g
    Front Brake Assy. with Brake Pads - 277g
    Rear Brake Assy. with Brake Pads - 297g
    Metallics (pair) - 22g
    Organics (pair) - 10g
    Geax AKA's (pair) - 1720g
    Front Wheel - 995g
    Rear Wheel - 1195
    Rim Strips (pair) - 51g
    Tubes Specialized 29er (pair) - 642g
    180mm painted CS2 - 150g
    160mm painted CS2 - 118g
    Rotor Hardware (12 bolts) - 24g
    Cassette Complete with Cap - 364g
    Cassette Broken Down:
    Shims x5 - 10g
    1-3 Assy. - 176g
    4th - 45g
    5th - 34g
    6th - 26g
    7th - 22g
    8th - 16g
    9th - 14g
    10th - 10g
    End Cap - 11g

If my math is correct, here are my totals.

12923g with pedals
    -117g after upgrades
    12805g or 28.23lbs
    -403g after 1x10 conversion
    12402g or 27.34lbs
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 11-25-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: changed weight on upper bearing spacer, weighed metal instead of plastic

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ho. Lee. Crap. You really did tear it completely down! Impressive!

mtbr member
    Thanks iso! Credit goes to OP, as his interest really sparked mine as far as weights.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm also the OP so double thanks to me! :-P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    LOL! I guess I should pay more attention - use them as you see fit! It's cool to have a reference, especially when it comes to dropping big bucks on upgrades and weight loss. Makes me curious on what it is going to when I go tubeless this spring with the new rubber. Since the WTB wheelset is just over 2k, switching to lighter tires and going tubeless should be a big benefit vs. buying a lighter wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My custom Arch EX wheelset with DT Swiss 350 hubs will be ready next weekend. Still need to figure out tires though.

I'll definitely report weight though.

mtbr member
    Thanks chicken! Very helpful

mtbr member

The tubes really weighed 642g?? Converting to tubeless saves more weight than I thought!

mtbr member
    Yep, 321g each, but I should have mentioned they are also slimed. My backup tube is 355g, pre-slimed as well.

Here is a picture of the bike cleaned, and ready to go back together. Needless to say the Mrs. did not appreciate in my taking over the kitchen...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Dude, this is an amazing amount of work! I'm duly impressed.

mtbr member
    Thanks iso!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    I did make a change to the weight list - when I was putting the bike together I realized I weighed the metal FSA upper bearing split ring instead of the stock plastic one. The difference is only 2g, but who's counting?

Hey iso, can you copy and paste the weights to the OP - that should make it easier for people searching for numbers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Impressive Chicken! When you clean your bike, you CLEAN your bike. If you get bored, swing by my house and I'll buy the beer.

I don't have an impressive breakdown, but just weighted my bike on a known good Feedback Sports digital scale. Changes from stock listed.

- Stan's Arch EX Wheelset
    - Niner RDO Stem
    - Easton EC70 Carbon Flat Bars
    - Thompson Setback Seatpost
    - Scwhalbe Racing Ralph 2.2 Front Tire (tubless)
    - Maxxis IKON 2.2 Rear Tire (tubeless)
    - Shimano M520 Pedals
    - Specialized Bottle Cage
    - Ergon Grips
    - SRAM 1091 Chain
    - Jagwire Semi-metallic pads

Weight: 25.06 lbs
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member
    At least you figured out my labor rates, TreeKiller!! I had the wheels trued up as well on Friday, so all I need are some dry days to give it a good shakedown. Half an inch off the front and a quarter of an inch in the back.

BTW, I am jealous of the wheelset TK, I have been looking at those for the past two months along with some Eastons. I really hope I was good for Santa this year!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    BTW, I am jealous of the wheelset TK, I have been looking at those for the past two months along with some Eastons. I really hope I was good for Santa this year!
    EDIT: Nevermind, was 26" wheels not 29". Thought I found you a good deal on ultra light 29er wheels.
    Eric

mtbr member
    I am hoping for some good deals on CyberMonday - fingers crossed!

mtbr member

Just cracked 26 lbs

After seeing how much my Specialized 9er tubes with slime weighed, I decided to try some different tubes, this time ultralites.

136g for each tube, added 100g of slime to each tube for 236g each or 472g for the pair. This is a savings of 204g, almost a half pound dropped in rotational weight.

12923g with pedals
    -117g after upgrades
    12805g or 28.23lbs
    -403g after 1x10 conversion
    12402g or 27.34lbs
    -204g after ultralites installed
    12198g or 26.89lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Received my new wheel set. They're Stans Arch EX laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs. With valves and yellow tape the weights came to:

Front: 940g
    Rear: 1056g

Not as light as I had hoped...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That is quite a burly hub. Maybe not as light as you hoped but you won't have to worry about them!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm new to DT Swiss so I didn't realize that. Music to my ears though as I'm 230 pounds and put a ton of torque through my hub. Destroyed the stock hub inside of 2 months.

So these are pretty solid?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    From what I understand, as long as you maintain them, they are very clyde-worthy. I've been researching a bunch since I've been given the green light on a new wheelset build.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cool. I hear they're dead-simple to service too. I just need to figure out where to get the proper grease as I've read the hub really "wants" the exact proper weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was planning on going with hopes/flow ex wheels, but it does not look like I'd save a lot of weight from stock according to your numbers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Not with the Flows that are another 50g each over what I have. You could save some weight by going with the CF light-bicycle wheels but you need to wait 2+ weeks to receive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not going with CF. I have considered the Arch EX though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    I was planning on going with hopes/flow ex wheels, but it does not look like I'd save a lot of weight from stock according to your numbers.
    Is there a drastic weight difference between the DiscBull/Quanta wheelset on the Guardian and Seeker and the i-19's on the Goblin? Flows + Hopes were going to save me just about 1.1lb of rotation weight, which is significant in that its rotational.

On the plus side, just like with iso, its pretty hard to beat a Flow EX/Hope Pro combo for a durable, life-time type wheelset.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Is there a drastic weight difference between the DiscBull/Quanta wheelset on the Guardian and Seeker and the i-19's on the Goblin? Flows + Hopes were going to save me just about 1.1lb of rotation weight, which is significant in that its rotational.

On the plus side, just like with iso, its pretty hard to beat a Flow EX/Hope Pro combo for a durable, life-time type wheelset.
    The info I've seen puts the weight of the Bull/Quantas around 2500g+ The i19/Quantas are somewhere in the neighborhood of 2200g+. So they are 300g lighter or not quite 3/4lb.

mtbr member
    2190g's for the I9's - at least that is what my measurements come out to. That isn't too terrible for OEM's, and the hubs spin forever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I got 2338g for the front full setup and 2955g for the rear. Both weighed with tire, tube, skewers, rotors, etc.

mtbr member
    My weights are bone - no rotors, harware, cassettes, rim strips, or skewers. I wanted a weight without all those add-ons to compare to wheelsets that advertise the same thing - wheel weights without anything added to them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sounds about right. I measured 1243 for the stock rear setup and new Arch EX/DT 350 was 1056.

Just mounted my Forté Pisgahs to the new wheels and came in with 1716F 1836R.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice! You saved around 2 and a quarter pounds if my math is right. So your bike should be weighing in +/- 26lbs. Correct?

Edit: you have carbon stuff so you should be closer to 25.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I think that's about right. When I finally get it all together I'll weigh it.

I want two sets of wheels so I'll end up having to buy new rotors, skewers and a cassette. When I buy the replacement parts I'll make sure they're lighter. The Ti skewers on order are 50g for the pair instead of 102g. I plan to get the PG 1070 cassette that will save another 150g or so.

mtbr member
    Sounds about right. I measured 1243 for the stock rear setup and new Arch EX/DT 350 was 1056.

Just mounted my Forté Pisgahs to the new wheels and came in with 1716F 1836R.
    Pics! Pics! Pics! You got me droolin' over here!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    150g less for a PG 1070? Here's a thread with some weights: SRAM PG 1050 & XT 10sp 11-36 weight I was going to get a 1070 too until I read it. It almost looks like the only difference between the two is the cap. This thread is a couple of years old but appears to be about the same parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Whoa, Mike! That thread just saved me $20 or so. Thanks!

S0ul_chicken, here you go!

New Wheelset - a set on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Depending on how you use your bike, an XT cassette can save a little weight but they do appear to have an issue with breaking at the rivets for harder riding. If your freehub is aluminum like mine, the XT offers the additional advantage of more spider-mounted gears.

mtbr member
    Whoa, Mike! That thread just saved me $20 or so. Thanks!

S0ul_chicken, here you go!

New Wheelset - a set on Flickr
    Dude, those turned out sweet! Great job!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    BLING! Looking good with the 350's and always a fan of Stans rims. Nice choice Iso.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks guys! Of course its set to rain buckets here before the weekend and then the temperature drops again. I might have to bail on work tomorrow afternoon to go ride.

mtbr member
    Mind if I join you? I have no problem bailing on work either... My boss on the other hand might have something to say about it though!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    By all means! For the record I just plan on bailing at 2pm or so...

Where are you located?

mtbr member
    - out in the desert southwest, the Four Corners, NM. You?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Whoa! Maryland. East coast mid Atlantic. Single track and roots and rocks. :-)

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't think I will make it by 2pm...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Whoa! Maryland. East coast mid Atlantic. Single track and roots and rocks. :-)
    I've got family is potomac, how is riding down there? Is everything technical or is there some flow?

Its only about a 9 hour drive, so as long as I leave by 5:30...
    Eric

mtbr member
    The riding is extremely fun! Since it is so varied out here, you can get your fix for whatever you need. There are tracks out here that are smooth and has lots of flow, or you can opt for stupid technical (I call it stupid as I am bound to f*** up somehow and really, really pay for it - some of the courses out here I am too "chicken" to try), or a mix of both. Then there is CO, 19 miles north that has lovely flows, crazy climbs, and teeth chattering downhills. Moab is only 2 hours away as well!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can't even imagine the riding out there chicken... A good friend and riding buddy of mine is desert addicted and we're talking about taking a "guy" trip out to Moab for some riding. That has been a dream destination of mine since about 1995 and I've never been. He lived in AZ and has hiked a lot of NM/AZ/NV but never biked it.

I really like smooth and flowy stuff, where you feel the gravity change more than getting jarred around. Here in the northeast, our story is technical single track where even "super buff" stuff has rocks and roots. Luckily we have some amazing local trail builders that build free bike parks that can compete with the big guns, and have both technical riding and flowy single track. You're pretty much always in the woods, though. I've ridden down near iso100 but never on trails, only canal path cruising on the road bike.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Woods? What is this thing you call "woods"? Our trees out here are not very tall until you get into the pines of Co. I think the tallest Juniper tree is only 15 feet around here.

I and my buddies also want to take a trip to Moab next year, and hopefully by then I will be riding a full squish. Slickrock around here can get quite bumpy, forcing you to stand up for a lot of it for the HT. I really do think you would love the riding out here - fast and fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    I've got family is potomac, how is riding down there? Is everything technical or is there some flow?

Its only about a 9 hour drive, so as long as I leave by 5:30...
    There are a lot of AWESOME flowy trails. Rosaryville is about the best for flow near to me. It's about 11 miles of perfectly built (by a MTB group) flowy singletrack in a loop. Then there's Shaeffer that has a nice mix of fast singletrack with some technical rooty stuff and even a skills track down a gully. Think half-pipe. Patapsco has some pretty technical rocky stuff but also a fair amount of flowy sections.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There are a lot of AWESOME flowy trails. Rosaryville is about the best for flow near to me. It's about 11 miles of perfectly built (by a MTB group) flowy singletrack in a loop. Then there's Shaeffer that has a nice mix of fast singletrack with some technical rooty stuff and even a skills track down a gully. Think half-pipe. Patapsco has some pretty technical rocky stuff but also a fair amount of flowy sections.
    Great to know. I've only ever ridden on the C&O since its a 5 minute bike ride from my families place, and only on my road bike. We usually go down in April or May and Germantown is an easy drive. Checked out Rosaryville and that definitely looks like my kind of riding, but the beltway is the devil.

Woods? What is this thing you call "woods"? Our trees out here are not very tall until you get into the pines of Co. I think the tallest Juniper tree is only 15 feet around here.

I and my buddies also want to take a trip to Moab next year, and hopefully by then I will be riding a full squish. Slickrock around here can get quite bumpy, forcing you to stand up for a lot of it for the HT. I really do think you would love the riding out here - fast and fun!
    The desert feels so strange to be in - even the California high desert (what my experience with the desert is.) So open, so much sky. Everything feels so grippy compared to what I'm used to, at least hiking.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If Germantown is an easy ride you HAVE to get to Shaeffer. It's my favorite park right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ping me when you are in town and I'll ride Shaeffer with you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sweet! Like I said, it will be next season before we're down there, most likely. Is there winter riding? I don't know if some parks close down there like some of them do up here.

sorry to hijack your thread
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well since this thread is sideways right now anyway.....All this talk about desert riding reminded me that this is what it looks like outside in my yard right now. Maybe it's time to rent a fat bike

Weighed my black Goblin-img_1141-small-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey now! I think you pushed some of that snow our way in the desert! It has been snowing all day! The nice thing here is that it will melt rather quick rather than collect - unless it gets bone-chilling cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast