Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

The Water Cooler

I don't know about you guys, but I think we need a water cooler thread! Talk about anything - I need some entertainment while at work!

Starting things off with last Friday nights ride after work - quick out and back on Rigor Mortis to kick off the weekend. I came around to the downhill section of the course when I had to go off course, brakes locked up to avoid a guy injured on the trail. This section of the trail has a fast blind-corner with a quick step-down, then on down to the Sage flat to finish the downhill. My main concern, at that point, was to get the guy up and off the trail before someone else came around that corner faster than I was. Of course, he wasn't wearing a helmet, said he didn't land on his head, but rather his shoulder. I told him we need to get up and off the trail, but he wasn't having it, clearly the pain was significant. I got in his face and said that if he did not get up off the trail, there would be more than one person hurt. Just as I helped him up, took a step to the right - WHOOSH - four rides go screaming by. By then, his buddies thankfully were making their way back up along side the trail to see what had happened as I had already resigned myself to getting this guy out and to help. It was nice to finish out the ride without worry. I will say this, that dude's shoulder was MESSED UP. I know he needed x-rays after that tumble. Lesson here - please always wear the brain bucket! That guy was lucky he didn't crack his skull.

Squ-eti
    Not sure this is what you had in mind but I'll play...

I've had an annoying creaking/popping sound coming from my EVO for the past couple months. The blame had been placed mostly on the bottom bracket because I've heard that pressfits will do that...but, I took a closer look at my seat and noticed I had bent my seat rails! The bolts holding the seat in place on the seatpost were a little loose because of the bend in the rails. Tightened everything up and took a quick spin...the creaking is mostly all gone. Yeah, there's still some bottom bracket noise, but it noticeablely less.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    This is just a BS thread, non-topic kinda stuff to get people here talking.

Do any of you guys use ear buds while riding? Came upon a runner last night on the trail that would not get out of the way because their music was too loud. Yelling did nothing, so I held back a bit and waited until I could pass safely - then scare the bejezzus out of them with a close, fast pass. Of course, he yelled at me because I freaked him out - I had a grin ear to ear...

mtbr member
    Did you ever notice that when someone at work, school, real-life, second-life, wherever, finds out that you are a mountainbiker, they always have the wrong idea of what it is you do? They think that you ride bike paths, or that you ride on a BMX track, or something else completely off-base.

Just an observation.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My not really important but fun story: went on a group ride with the local IMBA group a couple weeks ago. I had my guardian, but they also had a shop bring a bunch of demo bikes, mostly full carbon sc bronsons/tallboys/etc. Super nice bikes, but the shop parked their box truck illegally at the trail head across like four parking spots. After the first loop, we come back through the parking lit, and the park ranger is there. He's just sitting in his truck, but low and behold, has a hobgoblin hanging off the tailgate. I give him a quick fist bump/hey, nice bike, he sees my guardian and a big smile lights up his face. We chat a bit about airborne, how long we've had our bikes, yada yada yada. Then he looks over at the shop guy and says "hey, you know what, just move the truck, and don't park it like that again. Have a good day guys."

I mean, pretty clear that if I hadn;t been there and if we didn't both have airborne bikes, the shop guy would have gotten a ticket, right?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Do any of you guys use ear buds while riding?
    No, because as much as I don't like listening to myself breathe heavily, I don't want to be THAT guy either.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Did you ever notice that when someone at work, school, real-life, second-life, wherever, finds out that you are a mountainbiker, they always have the wrong idea of what it is you do? They think that you ride bike paths, or that you ride on a BMX track, or something else completely off-base.

Just an observation.

Jeremy
    My significant other: Wait, so you want to like, ride down mountains and stuff? Like not just around the bike paths? I mean, is that dangerous?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley.michael View Post
    No, because as much as I don't like listening to myself breathe heavily, I don't want to be THAT guy either.
    Same here - I love the sound of the wind by my helmet, the crunch of the sand on the hardpack. My New Year's Resolution: make it a point to stop and smell the roses every once and a while, enjoy the view. So that is what I did last night, stopped along the ridge-line and took in the view. Farmington Lake, Angel Peak, the Ute Mountain, Pinion Mesa, Shiprock, Hogback, San Juan and the Lukachuckai Mountains all in view from my position on the ridge. I can only hear the wind blowing - nice to be able to silence the phones, the people, and the noise for a few moments of Zen.

Squ-eti
    Do any of you guys use ear buds while riding?
    Not on trails (would rather enjoy the sounds of nature), not on the road (would rather keep living awhile longer), but occasionally on rail trail type rides(sooo boring, but sometimes the only way I can get miles in the spring).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    Not on trails (would rather enjoy the sounds of nature), not on the road (would rather keep living awhile longer), but occasionally on rail trail type rides(sooo boring, but sometimes the only way I can get miles in the spring).
    Do you have a goal in mind for your mileage this year?

Squ-eti
    Do you have a goal in mind for your mileage this year?
    Started the year aiming to ride 1,000 miles because as far as I could tell I had never ridden that far in a year before (Strava makes it easy. I was never good at filling out log books to track mileage back in the day). I met my 1,000 mile goal by the end of June so I decided to shoot for 2,000. I'll be closing in on 1,600 by the end of this week hopefully.

Squ-eti
    I'm kind of the opposite. I mostly ride cross-country, but when I tell folks I mountain bike they get visions of X-game mountain dew drinking extreme downhill riding in their heads. I say, "no, I just like to ride my bike in the woods."

mtbr member
    Started the year aiming to ride 1,000 miles because as far as I could tell I had never ridden that far in a year before (Strava makes it easy. I was never good at filling out log books to track mileage back in the day). I met my 1,000 mile goal by the end of June so I decided to shoot for 2,000. I'll be closing in on 1,600 by the end of this week hopefully.
    NICE! I would love to get my goal of 1000, still very short at 670 at the moment. Even if I don't get that far, it was the journey that counted. Good luck, sir!

mtbr member
    Wow - what a sigh of relief! I received the cortisone shot in my right knee yesterday, and that shot had me limping around most of the day. Today, I feel great! I haven't tried stairs yet, where I get most of the pain behind my knee-cap. I hope this holds so I don't have to get surgery. I can't wait to get back on the bike, but I have to wait another day to ride though... doc's orders.

Have a good day guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm kind of the opposite. I mostly ride cross-country, but when I tell folks I mountain bike they get visions of X-game mountain dew drinking extreme downhill riding in their heads. I say, "no, I just like to ride my bike in the woods."
    That's what my wife thought. LOL.

Well actually, I tend to go all-in on any new activity I start. I'll research, read, and most importantly, DVR shows about the new activity. Well shortly after I bought a mountain bike I was watching "Where the Trail Ends" and she was like "Nope, you're not mountain biking." It took a minute to convince her that I was just riding on rocky, rooty trails in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Wow - what a sigh of relief! I received the cortisone shot in my right knee yesterday, and that shot had me limping around most of the day. Today, I feel great! I haven't tried stairs yet, where I get most of the pain behind my knee-cap. I hope this holds so I don't have to get surgery. I can't wait to get back on the bike, but I have to wait another day to ride though... doc's orders.

Have a good day guys!
    Glad it helped!

Have you tried physical therapy?

I had bad pains in my knee, the side of it though, coming from ITBS and even after all of the research online and trying the stretching, icing, foam rolling, I wasn't having any luck.

Luckily my insurance covers PT and I figured I would give it a shot. Turns out I had weak hip muscles. She spent weeks doing exercises with me, and when the pain wouldn't go away, wound up pushing long needles into the tight spots and electrifying them.. Sounds pretty gnarly - it was. At the end of the treatment though, my knee pain is gone and it hasn't come back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ugh, miserable... Last Wed night, after a normal road bike ride with my Dad (My folks live a little over a mile away, so Dad and I bike together and stuff), I was dizzy, fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, etc. for several hours, and went to the ER. Better safe than sorry, in case it's a heart issue or something. EKG, electrolyte blood tests, etc. you're fine. Doc says the same thing on Thursday when I went in about it. Same deal all weekend, but I feel OK in the afternoons, as long as I eat meals with decent calories in them. On Saturday, a friend says sounds like low iron. Because of some IBS I've been trying to figure out, I've basically been eating oatmeal/eggs/chicken/rice/salad (not spinich) for the last several months, and I'm normally a red meat/potato/milk/yogurt person. So, I start taking a multivitamin on Saturday. Monday rolls around, I call the doc, he says full blood panel, including thyroid (ended up being 1.2 on a 0.4 - 4.2 "OK" range), as well as West Nile (because 3 days before, I had been riding my Guardian in a local park with MTB trails, and got a handful of mosquito bites, in a county where they had tested positive for it). Got (I think) everything but the WN back, and all looks in the "normal" range. However, my Hemoglobin is 32.5 (near the bottom of the "OK" range of 32.0 - 36.0), and it was 34.0 a year ago. This blood was taken after 3 days of multivitamin, red meat, and spinach salad, and I don't know enough about it to know if that would have raised it up into the "OK" range from "low" or not.

So, as of today, it's been a week of this, and I am damned sick of it! I'm not nearly as winded as I was for the first few days, and can breathe through my nose most of the time, again. Even watching TV or laying down, last Thurs-Sat, I had to breathe through my mouth. The West Nile test won't be back until the end of the week, and the doc won't talk about labs until they all come back in, which I get. I just hate being miserable...

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleykd View Post
    Glad it helped!

Have you tried physical therapy?
    I actually went to an Ortho guy here in town whom also mountain bikes. I went through the scans, and tests, and the cartilage glide behind my knee cap is wearing away. With my leg relaxed, you can move the patella around and it sounds crunchy. I wish to god it was just a weak hip muscle! For a test, he pulled my patella down toward my foot, and had me flex my quad. POW! I felt like I had just gotten shot in the knee. That was some intense pain. I will be going out for an easy ride tonight to see how it all feels, but right now this is the best it has felt in years.

Quote Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
    So, as of today, it's been a week of this, and I am damned sick of it! I'm not nearly as winded as I was for the first few days, and can breathe through my nose most of the time, again. Even watching TV or laying down, last Thurs-Sat, I had to breathe through my mouth. The West Nile test won't be back until the end of the week, and the doc won't talk about labs until they all come back in, which I get. I just hate being miserable...

Mike
    Get to feeling better Mike! Let us know how it all turns out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I actually went to an Ortho guy here in town whom also mountain bikes. I went through the scans, and tests, and the cartilage glide behind my knee cap is wearing away. With my leg relaxed, you can move the patella around and it sounds crunchy. I wish to god it was just a weak hip muscle! For a test, he pulled my patella down toward my foot, and had me flex my quad. POW! I felt like I had just gotten shot in the knee. That was some intense pain. I will be going out for an easy ride tonight to see how it all feels, but right now this is the best it has felt in years.

Get to feeling better Mike! Let us know how it all turns out.
    Eww... That sucks. Hopefully you can keep it bearable with the shots then!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    On a totally unrelated-to-bicycles note, I had to fire someone today. I hate that.

I always say that I never really fire anybody, they fire themselves, but it still sucks having to have that conversation.

It seems like people can't appreciate a good job anymore. It amazes me that it is a struggle to just get these people to come to work. I want to say "Dang kids don't know how good they have it!" but the past 2 people have been my age (still kind of young, 28, but old enough to have some work ethic). It is hard for me, too, because this guy would have been a good asset here if he didn't have attendance issues. sigh....

mtbr member
    Eww... That sucks. Hopefully you can keep it bearable with the shots then!
    Thanks! If the shots don't hold, surgery is the last option, and I really don't want to go that route. He said I could get a "bump" in a month if needed.

On a totally unrelated-to-bicycles note, I had to fire someone today. I hate that.

I always say that I never really fire anybody, they fire themselves, but it still sucks having to have that conversation.
    Rough day - that sucks. Time to go for a ride and clear the head!

mtbr member
    Have a great weekend everyone! Be safe on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What's everyone driving?

I'm wanting to get a new truck. I think I'm going to wait for the 2016 Tacoma to come out. I drive a Tundra right now, but don't really need a truck that big and I really like the new off road features on the new Tacoma.

Full disclosure, I work for Toyota so I get a great deal on them. I'm not looking for suggestions, just curious what others are driving.

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Frontier, and I love my truck! Don't get me wrong, get the Toyota for the employee pricing, working at a Toyota dealership, plus the ESP. I had a 92 regular cab four-banger for work at an old job, and wish I stole that M..F.. when I left... I only bought a Fronty due to not being able to find a Taco of my choosing at the time, but that doesn't negate how much I like my Nissan Frontier. Minor things got me to like the Frontier more, but only after I "settled" on it did I realize the difference.

You can't go wrong with a Taco - great looking trucks with a good service history. IMO, whatever gets you to the trail is the road gem. Happy riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I've always liked Nissan trucks too.

I liked that picture of your truck with your bike in the back, so I grabbed a couple of mine when I got to the trail today.

mtbr member
    I've always liked Nissan trucks too.

I liked that picture of your truck with your bike in the back, so I grabbed a couple of mine when I got to the trail today.
    Sweet!! What I don't understand about the market (and I work at dealership, of unknown mention..) is why the trucks have to get bigger. Take for instance the two trucks we are talking about. Their origins are a very small, light, pickup meant for everyday stuff, but now have all been bloated out. No Ford Rangers anymore, and the small Frontiers and Tacomas are all midsized now with the F150's and Colorado's topping the size list. Not only that, but a price tag of 40K-80K and above for an F150 is just stupid. It's a pickup, not a Mercedes. And yes, we have said pickups on the lot for up to 80K, and for some reason, they actually sell. SMH

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Sweet!! What I don't understand about the market (and I work at dealership, of unknown mention..) is why the trucks have to get bigger. Take for instance the two trucks we are talking about. Their origins are a very small, light, pickup meant for everyday stuff, but now have all been bloated out. No Ford Rangers anymore, and the small Frontiers and Tacomas are all midsized now with the F150's and Colorado's topping the size list. Not only that, but a price tag of 40K-80K and above for an F150 is just stupid. It's a pickup, not a Mercedes. And yes, we have said pickups on the lot for up to 80K, and for some reason, they actually sell. SMH
    I think it has to do with the "more for your money" attitude. I don't mean only on the consumer level either. The bigger the truck, the more the company can charge.

I don't work at a dealership, I work in manufacturing, engines to be exact. We are about to start making the new v6 for the tacos. That engine is going to put out more power with better gas mileage, all while being cheaper to build. The chassis, body, and plastics are all the same way. It doesn't cost anymore to build it bigger, but you can sell it for more.

As long as they keep selling, they'll keep getting bigger. When oil goes through the roof and the American roads start getting as crowded as European or Asian roads, then we'll see small trucks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Random Airborne fun fact.

I'm watching Tiny House, Big Living on HGTV and there is some dude named Trevor Gay on there that "works in the bike business" in Dayton OH who is building a tiny house, but it showed a glimpse of him building up a Pathogen frame. If all he can afford is a $30,000 house, we may need to start paying a little more for these bikes... Lol

mtbr member

I'm watching Tiny House, Big Living on HGTV and there is some dude named Trevor Gay on there that "works in the bike business" in Dayton OH who is building a tiny house, but it showed a glimpse of him building up a Pathogen frame. If all he can afford is a $30,000 house, we may need to start paying a little more for these bikes... Lol
    Depends on the circumstance - the wife and I bought a condemned house, and tore it down except for the exterior walls. We spent just under 28K to redo the entire house, getting a evaluation of 169K when we finished. I have a bad habit of checking into repo's and auctions... something about bringing something back and giving it new life. The roof was the first project:

The Water Cooler-ourhou%7E1.jpg

Seven years later, you wouldn't even even know it is the same house!

mtbr member

I haven't seen that episode yet, really want to see it. I knew Trevor was going to be on it. I'll have to watch the listings.

You don't get into the bike business to get rich, that's for certain. Most folks get into the bike industry because they love bikes and the idea of getting paid anything to do something they are passionate about sounds great.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I haven't seen that episode yet, really want to see it. I knew Trevor was going to be on it. I'll have to watch the listings.

You don't get into the bike business to get rich, that's for certain. Most folks get into the bike industry because they love bikes and the idea of getting paid anything to do something they are passionate about sounds great.

Jeremy
    I totally understand the bike business thing!

I was just joking about the house anyway. I think it was awesome how he built it with his family in his fathers building, then had a pretty cool house for less than I paid for a truck!

If I was single, I'd probably really dig the tiny house thing. A nice piece of land would be the only requirement. I spend most of my time outside anyway!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Depends on the circumstance - the wife and I bought a condemned house, and tore it down except for the exterior walls. We spent just under 28K to redo the entire house, getting a evaluation of 169K when we finished. I have a bad habit of checking into repo's and auctions... something about bringing something back and giving it new life. The roof was the first project:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OURHOU~1.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	1010844

Seven years later, you wouldn't even even know it is the same house!

That's cool. I helped build my house from scratch and I think that is the route I'll have to stay with. Watching all these renovation shows makes me nervous about how much could/will go wrong!

mtbr member
    I totally understand the bike business thing!

I was just joking about the house anyway. I think it was awesome how he built it with his family in his fathers building, then had a pretty cool house for less than I paid for a truck!

If I was single, I'd probably really dig the tiny house thing. A nice piece of land would be the only requirement. I spend most of my time outside anyway!
    Yeah the tiny house thing is really cool. I get inspired watching shows about it, but I just don't know if I could do it. It's not that I like "stuff" so much and need a lot of space, it's just that I'm a bit claustrophobic and it would freak me out. I've been in some small hotel rooms in Europe and Asia and even just spending a night in one is almost too much...........LOL.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    That's cool. I helped build my house from scratch and I think that is the route I'll have to stay with. Watching all these renovation shows makes me nervous about how much could/will go wrong!
    We had our share of headaches, I won't lie there, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

mtbr member
    Saw a small bull snake on the trail last night, first time I have seen one in a while. Normal wildlife here are rabbits, jackrabbits, chipmunks, prairie dogs, and lots of lizards.

thought it meant Mt. Beer
    ..Normal wildlife here are rabbits, jackrabbits, chipmunks, prairie dogs, and lot lizards.
    this is how i read that the first time, lol.
    VILLAGE RACING

mtbr member
    LOL - lot lizards!

mtbr member
    Sign-up has begun for this years Road Apple Rally! This will be my third year racing this race, and hoping for a first place trophy in my age group this year. This is the oldest mountain bike race in the country, with some serious racers like Todd Wells racing in the expert category. That dude is a MONSTER! He did the 30 mile loop last year in 1:42:55.

Fun Fact: The Road Apple Rally originally began as an MTB and a horse race back in 1981 (thankfully just MTB now). Road Apple is a polite term for horse-crap on the trail... I can't wait to race!

The Water Cooler-rar.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This is just a BS thread, non-topic kinda stuff to get people here talking.

Do any of you guys use ear buds while riding? Came upon a runner last night on the trail that would not get out of the way because their music was too loud. Yelling did nothing, so I held back a bit and waited until I could pass safely - then scare the bejezzus out of them with a close, fast pass. Of course, he yelled at me because I freaked him out - I had a grin ear to ear...
    I started off a couple years ago fully plugged in (pretty good volume, both ears) but learned that was a no-no... While I appreciate the sounds of nature I appreciate my music more so I have resigned myself to one earbud in my right ear (as I use highway logic and ride on the right of wider trails to allow those that are faster to pass, therefore, left ear is open to hear trail activity) with the volume moderately low and it has worked out pretty well... I get my tunes and I also hear people behind me...
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not sure this is what you had in mind but I'll play...

I've had an annoying creaking/popping sound coming from my EVO for the past couple months. The blame had been placed mostly on the bottom bracket because I've heard that pressfits will do that...but, I took a closer look at my seat and noticed I had bent my seat rails! The bolts holding the seat in place on the seatpost were a little loose because of the bend in the rails. Tightened everything up and took a quick spin...the creaking is mostly all gone. Yeah, there's still some bottom bracket noise, but it noticeablely less.
    I used to have that sound! For some reason, a new seat took care of it.. For the life of me, I can't figure out where that sound was coming from!!!

The Water Cooler-20150830_134652_resized.jpg
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
    Ugh, miserable... Last Wed night, after a normal road bike ride with my Dad (My folks live a little over a mile away, so Dad and I bike together and stuff), I was dizzy, fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, etc. for several hours, and went to the ER. Better safe than sorry, in case it's a heart issue or something. EKG, electrolyte blood tests, etc. you're fine. Doc says the same thing on Thursday when I went in about it. Same deal all weekend, but I feel OK in the afternoons, as long as I eat meals with decent calories in them. On Saturday, a friend says sounds like low iron. Because of some IBS I've been trying to figure out, I've basically been eating oatmeal/eggs/chicken/rice/salad (not spinich) for the last several months, and I'm normally a red meat/potato/milk/yogurt person. So, I start taking a multivitamin on Saturday. Monday rolls around, I call the doc, he says full blood panel, including thyroid (ended up being 1.2 on a 0.4 - 4.2 "OK" range), as well as West Nile (because 3 days before, I had been riding my Guardian in a local park with MTB trails, and got a handful of mosquito bites, in a county where they had tested positive for it). Got (I think) everything but the WN back, and all looks in the "normal" range. However, my Hemoglobin is 32.5 (near the bottom of the "OK" range of 32.0 - 36.0), and it was 34.0 a year ago. This blood was taken after 3 days of multivitamin, red meat, and spinach salad, and I don't know enough about it to know if that would have raised it up into the "OK" range from "low" or not.

Mike
    Are you taking garcinia cambogia by any chance? I had a reaction to it that is very similar to what your expiriencing. I stopped taking it and 24 hours later I felt world's better. Dr's will tell you it's totally safe because it's all natural. But it's far from harmless for some people. After I did some online research I found many people with the same reaction to it as me.

mtbr member
    Supposedly, the X-9 Type 2 RD's are not serviceable... LIARS!

I was noticing chain slap on the trail the other day, which hadn't been there before. Upon doing some searching, it turns out you can remove the plug and tighten up the roller bearing. I gave it a half turn, and found I was binding up too much to where it would not shift properly. I backed off a quarter turn, everything shifted fine, and as of last night, I am back to zero chain slap on the trail. Anyone else come across this?

mtbr member
    I'm pretty stoked, the 2017 'cross nationals are coming to Hartford, CT.... venue about 6 miles from my house!
    I love my Delta, upgrades and all, but I think it's time to get a bike with newer technology....
    I'm hoping Airborne will introduce something something sooner than later, although I'm not holding my breath....

mtbr member

Straight Outta Compton!

Drivetrain parts arrived today, straight outta Compton!!

The Water Cooler-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    ^^ LOL. Nice.

I've had to take a break from MTBing for a couple of weeks so far. Which is a bummer because I finally got my dropper post sorted out and I wanted to try it when it was really functioning. I got the KS Southpaw remote lever. It is pretty sweet.

Anyway, a Lexus IS250 ran a red light and T-boned me in my truck (posted previously in this thread) a couple of weeks ago. For such a small car, it really did some damage. He must have been flying.

The black Lexus hit me as I was turning onto that road. When my truck came down from the air I landed on that white Lexus then rolled into that light pole on the ground...

I came out on the good end of it with a strained neck and back, but that doesn't lend well to the all-mountain style of riding at my trails, so I've stuck to the road bike for the last week or so.

Still trying to find a new truck though!!

mtbr member
    ^^ LOL. Nice.

I've had to take a break from MTBing for a couple of weeks so far. Which is a bummer because I finally got my dropper post sorted out and I wanted to try it when it was really functioning. I got the KS Southpaw remote lever. It is pretty sweet.

Anyway, a Lexus IS250 ran a red light and T-boned me in my truck (posted previously in this thread) a couple of weeks ago. For such a small car, it really did some damage. He must have been flying.

The black Lexus hit me as I was turning onto that road. When my truck came down from the air I landed on that white Lexus then rolled into that light pole on the ground...

I came out on the good end of it with a strained neck and back, but that doesn't lend well to the all-mountain style of riding at my trails, so I've stuck to the road bike for the last week or so.

Still trying to find a new truck though!!
    WOW! Glad you walked away from that one... That poor, poor, Taco...

Was it the new lever that let everything work properly on the seat post?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The lever made it possible because it floats freely. Without a cable it will just flop around where the remote that came with it still had resistance to move and the post spring couldn't overcome that and the friction of the small loop when dropped. Oddly, it will only work with the tension completely off the cable when the remote is not pressed. The cable running across my top tube sags a little even. I guess this is so when you hit the remote it pulls the bare minimum on the lever to drop the post. It works, but I'm still not real happy with it.

mtbr member
    Time for the Tarantulas to migrate, seeing them all over the trails out here. Several attempts to get this little guy to climb over the camera were unsuccessful.

thought it meant Mt. Beer
    yeahhhh NOPE.

i've been overrun by wolf and grass spiders at my house.. never seen so many.
    VILLAGE RACING

mtbr member
    Black Widows have been bad this year as well, but at least they keep the Brown Recluse spiders away!

mtbr member
    Last weekends ride at Mountain View, a nice little wash-out in one of the corners kept things interesting. It has been a while since my last crash, thankfully I bailed easy without even so much as a scrape. Anyone else have any good wrecks lately?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast