Captain Climber

Upgrading my SkyHawk

Now that the SkyHawk is sold out and out of production I figure it will be worth a lot more . I love this bike and bought it because I didn't want to spend a lot of money up front in case I didn't like the sport. Well, I love the sport, everything about it. And this bike has been amazing. Nothing IMO can come close to beating it for the money. I have decided not to upgrade to the Goblin right away and instead get good on the 26". Not only good with my riding skills but also with my bike mechanics. So it is time to start upgrading this bike. I want to discover what I like and don't like about custom parts. I want to learn how to install them and maintain them. And I want to learn to ride like a pro. My plan is to upgrade one thing at a time and then get some ride time in so I can get a feel for how the upgrade feels and whether or not I like it. I want to start with the things that will make the biggest differences/improvements and to me that is Fork and Wheels. Then I am going to move to the cockpit and drive train. We'll see if I go farther. I'm going to build my own wheels because I want to learn to do that. I already have the parts ordered and should be able to start that next week. But for now I have upgraded my fork!

Pictures to follow but this Suntour Epicon is awesome. If you have a stock fork on your SkyHawk at least get this Epicon. I got mine off Ebay from one of the best internet sellers I have ever dealt with. Straight out of Taiwan. Got it for $189 shipped and was at my door three days later. I don't know how they did that. Here is the fork and the seller I got mine from. This seller is awesome:
    2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike New | eBay

The fork was half the weight of my stock fork. The front end is so light and nimble now and I cannot even begin to explain the difference it made. You have got to upgrade your fork!

Jerry Hazard has inspired me to pimp this bike out with upgrades. I like his style. There will not be much black left on this bike when I get done... at least that is the plan. For now, I have only upgraded the fork but there will be more to follow as I get a chance to test everything. I'm going to make this bike as light as I can get it and as cool looking as I can. Bye Bye Black

mtbr member

Upgrading my SkyHawk

That fork looks great on there! Are those the stock tires?

Captain Climber
    I think so too. Getting that black off the bike helps IMO. Brian Lopes used to ride a bike with a similar color scheme... Maybe that's where the idea came from. The tires are stock. I'm going to put them on my new wheels to see what they are like then I am going to get some wider, lighter tires that have less rolling resistance... And go tubeless.

mtbr member
    I agree, that fork looks great on there! Parts seem to be less expensive for 26's as well. That looks like a heck of a good bike as it sits, you hit the sales right you could have something really nice without completely wrecking your bank account.

Captain Climber
    Thanks doc... I've got my eye out for sales and good prices hoping to save a ton of money. It can be done. So far I've spent more money on tools than I have on bikes and bike parts but I won't have to worry about that again.

mtbr member
    Looks good man! I may be headed up that way this weekend. Will you be riding? Let me know

Captain Climber
    Thanks Mitch... I'll be there if it is not too wet. I watch their facebook page to see if they are allowing riders.

Airborne Product Dude
    Looks great!

Now it just needs a set of silver CrossMax wheels on it!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Thanks Jeremy... if I wasn't building my own wheels I would have bought yours Got some white Stan's Arch wheels and BHS Hubs at home. Just waiting for the spokes to arrive.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Thanks Jeremy... if I wasn't building my own wheels I would have bought yours Got some white Stan's Arch wheels and BHS Hubs at home. Just waiting for the spokes to arrive.
    The white should look good on there!

Nice job.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.