Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Upgrading my drivetrain on my guardian, I have a few questions.

Hey guys,

I'm planning on upgrading my drivetrain on my guardian because I have been having a horrendous time trying to tune it correctly, and my birthday is next week. I'm thinking of going sram x7 maybe x9 if I can get a good deal on FD and RD. There are a bunch of options for front mount or HI and LO. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction as to what I will need for my guardian. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If i were to do it again, i would skip the x7 and do an x9 setup. Have you considered doing a 2x9 or 1x9 setup?

But i wouldn't upgrade unless your x5 stuff was broken.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was planning on doing a 2x9 so I could save money and not replace all my gears. I figured I could remove one of the front cogs. Which one should I replace the biggest or the smallest?

What is the difference between the x9 and the x7 shifters?

Also what cage would I need? Right now I have a long cage but what are the differences? Thanks!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by 15goudreau View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm planning on upgrading my drivetrain on my guardian because I have been having a horrendous time trying to tune it correctly, and my birthday is next week. I'm thinking of going sram x7 maybe x9 if I can get a good deal on FD and RD. There are a bunch of options for front mount or HI and LO. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction as to what I will need for my guardian. Thanks!
    The X7 that we use on the Goblin is a top clamp top pull with a 34.9mm clamp. So I would recommend that for your X7 or X9 upgrade on your Guardian.

I was planning on doing a 2x9 so I could save money and not replace all my gears. I figured I could remove one of the front cogs. Which one should I replace the biggest or the smallest?

What is the difference between the x9 and the x7 shifters?

Also what cage would I need? Right now I have a long cage but what are the differences? Thanks!
    If you are buying shifters and derailleurs, buying a new 10speed cassette and new cranks isn't much more of a stretch. I'd buy the 10-speed stuff now versus 9 speed. A nice 2x10 group with cranks that are geared properly with outboard bearings would be a nice hop-up. Plus it will help immensely with rear wheel clearance and free you up to run a wider tire in the back if you want to in the future.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the reply Jeremy. The only issue is that I really don't have the funds to buy a new cassette, so I was hoping to make it work with the 9 speed. Would it really be a huge difference? Enough to warrant what would be I think around an extra 100$ or so?

Airborne Product Dude
    Thanks for the reply Jeremy. The only issue is that I really don't have the funds to buy a new cassette, so I was hoping to make it work with the 9 speed. Would it really be a huge difference? Enough to warrant what would be I think around an extra 100$ or so?
    I think you could pick up a 10 speed cassette for less than $100. Take a look around at prices. Jenson has a 1030 for $60.

Sram PG-1030 X5 10 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I think it's worth it, since you are spending the $$ anyway why not bump up to 10 speed. Otherwise later on you may be kicking yourself for not doing it now when you are replacing things.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'll think it over. I definitely don't want to be kicking myself and shelling out hundreds more because I am skimping now. Now what is the difference between all those numbers? I'm assuming the first number is the set of teeth on the first gear and the second number is the last?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Echo what Jeremy says about 2x10.

The standout feature of Airborne's bikes is the 2x10 setup on the Goblins/Hobgoblins.

Most of the other bike manu-s have 3x10 on their comparably priced bikes.

In just my opinion, 2x10 is the best setup for most X-country bikes. I don't live near mountains, so 2x10 works great for the landscape here. The couple of times I did ride the mountains, 2x10 was all I needed. I never felt like I wish I had one more gear.

Can't understand why bike makers sell top end X bikes with 2x10, but haven't trickled down to lower priced X bikes.

I would even consider Sram's XX1 group, but it is pretty pricey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Jeremy, if I do go with the 2x10 I would also need to upgrade the front cogs too right? Plus a chain, so that's probably going to be closer to 180$ I'm guessing....I wish I had more money!!!

mtbr member
    While we are on the subject of derailleurs and drive train I have a couple of noob questions.

1. What is the difference between top/bottom/dual pull FD's?

2. What are the advantages/disadvantages of short and long cage RD's?

I have been shopping this stuff hoping to luck out and find some X9 components on the clearance rack. I am always willing to upgrade if the price is right!

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    While we are on the subject of derailleurs and drive train I have a couple of noob questions.

1. What is the difference between top/bottom/dual pull FD's?

2. What are the advantages/disadvantages of short and long cage RD's?

I have been shopping this stuff hoping to luck out and find some X9 components on the clearance rack. I am always willing to upgrade if the price is right!
    Top pull/bottom pull..how the cable is routed to the derailleur on the frame..dual pull can have the cable mounted top or bottom.

Long cage/Med Cage/Short Cage..Long cage allows the use of larger cassettes like 11x36..Med/Short cages tend to look a little cleaner on the bike...if you are into that..they tend to shift a little snappier if that makes sense..to me no real advantage of one over the other...just depends on the gearing your running in the back...I run a long cage on my cross bike just so I can run 11x36 gears on it..

TXTony
    I swapped out a 3x9 to a 2x10 on one of my bikes...used the same crank..ditched to the large chain ring in front and replaced it with a bash guard..kept the middle and small chain ring on it...you will most likely need a new chain..love the 2x10 set up..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Top pull/bottom pull..how the cable is routed to the derailleur on the frame..dual pull can have the cable mounted top or bottom.

Long cage/Med Cage/Short Cage..Long cage allows the use of larger cassettes like 11x36..Med/Short cages tend to look a little cleaner on the bike...if you are into that..they tend to shift a little snappier if that makes sense..to me no real advantage of one over the other...just depends on the gearing your running in the back...I run a long cage on my cross bike just so I can run 11x36 gears on it..
    I'll buy that, thanks for the answer!

mtbr member
    I swapped out a 3x9 to a 2x10 on one of my bikes...used the same crank..ditched to the large chain ring in front and replaced it with a bash guard..kept the middle and small chain ring on it...you will most likely need a new chain..love the 2x10 set up..
    Did you swap out the FD as well? I have been kicking around the idea of doing something like this. I rarely use the big ring and it loves to hang up on logs.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    Did you swap out the FD as well? I have been kicking around the idea of doing something like this. I rarely use the big ring and it loves to hang up on logs.
    Yeah I had to since the front shifter was for a triple so I went ahead and got a new FD when I ordered the shifters..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Did you have to replace the front gears? Weren't they rated for 9 speed and you changed to 10 speed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Also will I be able to run a medium cage RD if I drop the biggest cog in the front?

TXTony
    Did you have to replace the front gears? Weren't they rated for 9 speed and you changed to 10 speed?
    Did not replace the front chain rings or crank...simply removed the large chain ring and put a bash guard on it....long/med/short caged only refers to rear derailleurs.. I put new shifters,derailleurs, 10 speed(11x36) cassette, new chain and new cables since I was replacing stuff anyway took the opportunity to replace the cables...using the current crank and small and med chain ring that was already on the bike I got the gear combo I wanted and love it..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just might do that then! That is wonderful news tony! Thanks a bunch. So for a 2x10 what length cage do I need? large or medium?

TXTony
    I just might do that then! That is wonderful news tony! Thanks a bunch. So for a 2x10 what length cage do I need? large or medium?
    I would get a long cage that way you do not limit your self on the gears you can run back there...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Tony, isn't the x7 RD on our goblin a medium cage with a 11-36 cassette?

TXTony
    Not sure. Never payed attention to it. I am referring to the mods I made on my All Mountain bike. Made the same mods on my Fuel EX 8 also and went with a long cage der.

TXTony
    Also I have found using long cages on 2x10 let's me use every gear in the back regardless of which ring I am on in front. Unlike a med or small where chain slack or lack there if in certain gear combos become an issue. When I replace the x7 stuff it it is a med cage I will put a long cage on it as well. My cross bike had a med cage and its a 2x10. The med will work but I have found the long cages at least for me allow me to use all gears in most all combos up front and rear.

Of course there is the risk of a lg getting snagged on stuff so I have been told. Never have had that happen. Hope I am explaining that right or it makes sense.

Also should add both these bikes I did where full suspension bikes one 4 inches and the other 6 inches which also has an affect on it as well..

TXTony
    Trevor do you ever go to Cameron Park in Waco?

mtbr member
    Trevor do you ever go to Cameron Park in Waco?
    I went to school in Waco, did Cameron Park about 10 years ago. Spent to much time at George's to be serious about MTB in those days though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast