mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Upgraded wheelset and tires.

I want to upgrade the wheelset on my Goblin and also the tires while I'm at it. I'm 99% sure I want to go with the new 40T Hope hubs, but I don't know to go with either the Arch EX or Flow EX rims. The additional width of the Flows sounds nice, but it comes at the cost of additional weight.

I also want to get some non-wire bead tires to save weight while I'm at it. Most of the trails I ride on are just hardpack and the AKAs have done well. I have thought about putting something like the Ikon 2.35 on the bike front and rear though to maybe give a little more cushion over bumps. Would this help? Bad idea? Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For your Goblin you should be fine with the Arch Ex rims they are plenty wide and strong for most people. Hope hubs are really reliable just make sure you don't overlook spokes because they can make or break your wheel build. With tires an Ikon is a great choice but I would also look at maybe a maxxis aspen or ardent as options also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What should I look for in spokes? Also, I'm around 200 lbs. Think the Arch EX will be fine?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My vote goes to Flows on either the 3.3 or even better a hope2 hub with Aspen rear and Ardent 2.4 front.

This is my plan for my seeker. My riding weight is up between 240 and 250, but I've ridden that setup on a friends bike and really enjoy it.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm at your weight also. I went with flows but I also like to ride hard and get some air. I think if you ride tamer single track with not many opprotunities to get airborne (pun) you will fine with the archs but if you like to ride harder I would go flows all day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I weigh 170ish and I have the flow ex/hope pro wheels on my goblin and love the setup. I like the width and durability since I ride a lot of rocky trails. I also have a 2.25 ardent on the rear (sidewall tear on the AKA) and love it for the rocky terrain.

For cushion over bumps just ride slightly out of the saddle (you'll become a stronger rider).

If you went tubeless on the new setup you could run lower pressure which would add a little bit of cushion.

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity trevor - how much weight did you save by going with the Flow's? I have been on the fence about a wheel upgrade, I just wasn't sure it would be cost effective for some weight loss, however much that actually may be.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's a good question. I don't know the stock wheel set weight or even the flow ex/hope weight (I'll look that up). When switching the cassette over to the flow I noticed a difference in weight in both the front and rear wheel compared to stock, so it was noticeable. I mainly upgraded for the width and durability (saving weight is nice but I rather have a durable wheel set). I knocked the stock rear wheel out of true a couple times.

A wheel set upgrade is a worthwhile expense in my opinion. It really changed my goblin for the better. The stock wheels are the only "weak" point on the goblin (that I've found) but that's too be expected with such a great price point for such a quality bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information trevor! I have been perusing all the bike outlet shops for wheels, I am just waiting for a good time to jump in and pull the trigger. I am secretly hoping for a black friday deal or something of the like to get a good deal. Either that or I spend the bucks on a Garmin video camera for trail recordings.... Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought the flow ex/hope pro 2 wheel set for $350 shipped from the U.K. (Merlin cycles).

Weight findings:

Flow ex/hope pro 2 total: 2007 grams

Speed disc i19/quando hubs (minus spokes/nipples): 2822 grams

Difference is about 2lbs. Even more for the arch ex.

Edit: these are weights I found online.

mtbr member
    WOW - that is quite the difference! An upgrade like that would drop me to 24 or 25 pounds on the bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    WOW - that is quite the difference! An upgrade like that would drop me to 24 or 25 pounds on the bike!
    Don't forget swapping the wire bead stock tires for something lighter.

mtbr member
    Yep, I already have a new set of folding rubber, just waiting to wear out the Geax's first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone weighed the stock AKAs? I have only checked my front, but it was 906g. WAY more than the claimed 770g by Geax.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I went with the Flow EX for my Goblin as well. I cared more about the width and durability than a little bit of weight savings with the Arch EX. I run a Ardent 2.4 up front with a 2.25 in the rear. I set them up tubeless with Stan's and a floor pump. The wider rims reduces the "light bulb" effect with the wider tire. Much less likely to hook a root now and go over the bars (ask me how I know) It has made a huge improvement over rocky and root sections. I used to dread the sandy section we sometimes encounter here where I ride but a now just fly right through them. Ordered them from CyclesportsUK and got them in less than 10 days. Best mod by a wide margin.
    Just went 1x10 today with a Race Face 34T chainring. Look forward to trying it out
    this weekend. The 34 will force me to get stronger on the uphill sections.