mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Upgrade your Skyhawk or Sabre fork for less than $100

If you want to upgrade the fork on your Skyhawk or Sabre for less than $100, a Rockshox XC28 fork will do wonders for you. For Skyhawk owners, right now through April 19th, Blueskycycling has the 100mm model on sale for $79.98:

BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 28 TK Coil Fork

For Sabre owners, the 80mm model is available for $84.98 through Pricepoint:

RockShox XC28 80mm Coil Fork 2012 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

While these forks are low end, they will be a big improvement over the Suntour forks that these bikes come with. First, they come with a lockout to reduce pedal bob when climbing or street riding. Secondly, these forks are equipped with rebound control, so that you can set how fast the fork bounces back up after compressing.

My friend has the 100mm Rockshox XC28 on her Skyhawk, and the main thing I noticed when giving it a brief test ride was that it was a lot stiffer than the Suntour fork and the bike felt more solid. I also noticed after a ride that the XC28 had not topped out (or bottomed out) like the Suntour fork did, and I could tell this by looking at the compression/dirt marks on the new fork.

If you are a Skyhawk owner and can afford $150, you are better off taking advantage of Suntour's upgrade program and getting the Raidon (which I believe also requires a 15mm axle which will cost more money - I'll let someone else explain how that works), but if your budget is stretched to the limit and you can't spend more than $100, the XC28 should improve your ride quality.

Here is a photo of a modified Skyhawk with the XC28 fork installed. If you can afford it, grab one before they sell out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrade your Skyhawk or Sabre fork for less than 0-img_1079.jpg  

Last edited by getagrip; 04-18-2013 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    If you want to upgrade the fork on your Skyhawk or Sabre for less than $100, a Rockshox XC28 fork will do wonders for you. For Skyhawk owners, right now through April 19th, Blueskycycling has the 100mm model on sale for $79.98:

BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 28 TK Coil Fork

For Sabre owners, the 80mm model is available for $84.98 through Pricepoint:

RockShox XC28 80mm Coil Fork 2012 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

While these forks are low end, they will be a big improvement over the Suntour forks that these bikes come with. First, they come with a lockout to reduce pedal bob when climbing or street riding. Secondly, these forks are equipped with rebound control, so that you can set how fast the fork bounces back up after compressing.

My friend has the 100mm Rockshox XC28 on her Skyhawk, and the main thing I noticed when giving it a brief test ride was that it was a lot stiffer than the Suntour fork and the bike felt more solid. I also noticed after a ride that the XC28 had not topped out (or bottomed out) like the Suntour fork did, and I could tell this by looking at the compression/dirt marks on the new fork.

If you are a Skyhawk owner and can afford $150, you are better off taking advantage of Suntour's upgrade program and getting the Raidon (which I believe also requires a 15mm axle which will cost more money - I'll let someone else explain how that works), but if your budget is stretched to the limit and you can't spend more than $100, the XC28 should improve your ride quality.

Later, when I get home from work I'll upload a photo of a modified Skyhawk with the XC28 fork installed. If you can afford it, grab one before they sell out!
    They are ok but I think its always better to save a little more and get something better. The upgrade program doesnt require a maxle, the raidon is made for 9mm qr. And it is a hell of a deal for 150. But i'm glad your friend and you like the upgrade, its definetly better than the XCM.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    They are ok but I think its always better to save a little more and get something better. The upgrade program doesnt require a maxle, the raidon is made for 9mm qr. And it is a hell of a deal for 150. But i'm glad your friend and you like the upgrade, its definetly better than the XCM.
    Well that's good to know. Definitely worth the extra $70 to get the Suntour Raidon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's a solid deal. I definitely intend on just going for a Raidon though, as soon as I can sneak more bike purchases past the old lady. But, for those short on budget and short on patience, this could be a no brainer.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If I didn't need to get other upgrades for my girls sabre I would definitely be all over this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Upgrade your Skyhawk or Sabre fork for less than 0-1kjbfhf.jpg

Changed my mind and got her one. Haven't taken it out yet but being able to slow the rebound down is much better than the pogo stick Suntour. Will update after the first ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor757 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1kjbFhF.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	794198

Changed my mind and got her one. Haven't taken it out yet but being able to slow the rebound down is much better than the pogo stick Suntour. Will update after the first ride.
    Sabre looks great with the Rockshox! You can also adjust the pre-load so it is really tight if she wants a stiffer ride. Don't be totally shocked if she doesn't notice the difference, though...an inexperienced rider won't, but you will when you jump on her bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For sure. I'm not expecting much praise from her about it. I opted for the 100mm version. She had been complaining about the pedals being too low and this raised them up about an inch. Hopefully going to a local trail system today to give it a test.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hope she has fun! Let us know how the test goes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    if you dont mind getting used forks, there plenty of deals by searching craiglist. i got a 29er rockshox recon gold for $130
    Last edited by dizwikedcbr; 04-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport
    Airborne Sabre

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I don't mind used forks. Right now I'm looking at some fox shocks talas 32's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How did the ride go with the XC 28?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The ride went well. We went out today after work and rode about 3 miles of single track before dinner. She didn't notice much but when I took it for a ride I noticed the suspension was a bit stiffer but also very smooth at the same time. Well worth the investment and the suntours will be easy to get rid of on eBay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cool! Kinda funny how our lady friends don't notice when we make their bikes better, but we guys do! LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Haha. Yeah I'll just turn the lockout on and see if she notices then. She didn't hit her pedals as much but I rode it again and still noticed how low they were and how hard it is to pedal even on a mostly flat surface. I have a shorter crankset on the way. If it feels better I will get her a custom set made at some point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Haha. Yeah I'll just turn the lockout on and see if she notices then. She didn't hit her pedals as much but I rode it again and still noticed how low they were and how hard it is to pedal even on a mostly flat surface. I have a shorter crankset on the way. If it feels better I will get her a custom set made at some point.
    If push comes to shove, you could always get her one of these:

Sette Reken Alloy Hardtail Frame | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Its not an Airborne, but because of the low bottom bracket issue, it might be cheaper than getting a custom made crankset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don't mind used forks. Right now I'm looking at some fox shocks talas 32's.
    craiglists, pinkbike, and ebay are great finds on deals, ive upgraded my bikes forks for about $200 total for both. Got a recon gold for my db and recon silver for the sabre. also save some money on installation which was very easy, took only 15min. Also i was able to sell my xcr and xct fork for $50

Upgrade your Skyhawk or Sabre fork for less than 0-img_20130427_113415.jpg
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport
    Airborne Sabre