mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Tubeless Conversion...question.

So my new goblin x0 is sitting in my living room, patiently waiting to be ridden once it's Christmas. One of the first things I did was to convert it to tubeless. I've never had tubeless specific wheels before and did the "ghetto" conversion on my old bike. When I added sealant and pumped the tires back up the tires made the popping sound when the bead seats but after about 2 days the tires deflate again.

The wheels were already taped with the yellow rim tape so all I did was install the valve stems, add sealant and then pump back up.

Why won't the air hold? I never had this issue on the other wheels.

Am I missing something here?

Master of the Obvious
    Did you ride the bike after setting them up tubeless? I have found the immediately riding the bike after set up completely sets the sealant.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I second the ride suggestion. I have a new set of Arch EX's and tires that I converted to tubeless but didn't have rotors or a cassette and couldn't ride it. The air leaked out after 2 days or so. I then reinflated and made sure to really slosh stuff around.

It almost seems like one is out of balance now... and I'm hoping the sealant didn't just settle in the bottom and clot.

They're holding air now. I'll be (finally) riding this Saturday so I'll be able to tell if everything is good.

Airborne Flight Crew
    What tires are you using - are they UST tires, or regular?

First check that your valves are secured tight.

For regular tires, sometimes you have to keep after them for the first few days. I had some Conti Mountain Kings, and they "seeped" very badly (sounds like maybe this is happening with your tires?). You could even see spots on the tires where the sealant was coming through. It can take a while for some tires to seal everywhere, but eventually the seeping should stop (except my Mountain Kings seeped through their entire lifespan - they were NOT UST tires.) I've heard that adding a teaspoon of glitter (yes, glitter) to your sealant helps with this... ymmv.

My Nevegals seeped too at first, but after about 3 days they were good to go. Have not tried the SB 8s or the Geax...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    ^This....My Mountain Kings cried their entire life span as well...SB8s took a bout a week to get them to stop seeping....Geax set up and sealed in one day...always a good idea to ride them after set up...not uncommon for some tires to loose air and sealant over night until the sealant makes it way to all the little places it can seep out of..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The tires are the stock tires from the goblin xo, maxis icon. I don't know if they are tubeless ready or not to be honest. I haven't noticed any sealant seeping through at all

mtbr member
    Sometimes you may not actually see the sealant seep through..does not make it all the way through the casing...just air until it seals...I had a pair of Maxxis tires that took a bit to seal up after installing them...I had to keep adding air and some sealant for a few days after setting them up...a good long ride finally sealed the deal

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I had issues setting up my SB8 tires. They would seat with a compressor, but wouldn't hold air after 2+ days... I ended up using gorilla tape and stans valves. Once I got them to seat I left them sitting sideways on a trash can and flipped them every couple hours... I'm sure a ride would do the same. The tires, just need a good coating of Stans.