mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Trying to get back in the game with a Guardian

After more than a decade I am trying to get back in to biking. The last bike I bought was a Trek Y5 back in HS. School/Work/Family has meant I haven't been on a bike in over a decade. My son just turned 10 and I got him a GT Zaskar 24 for his bday. Probably overkill, but a nice bike that I got a decent deal on. Hoping to do some riding together now. This board has been a ton of help while doing my pre-purchase research, so thank you for that. My Guardian is scheduled for delivery Friday, just in time for a weekend ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Welcome back! A Y5? That's a throw back. My bike previous to my Airborne was a '98 7000ZX. Have fun riding with your son... and on your new Guardian!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Welcome back! A Y5? That's a throw back. My bike previous to my Airborne was a '98 7000ZX. Have fun riding with your son... and on your new Guardian!
    Thanks!

Yeah, serious throwback with the Y5. To say things have changed since then ('97) would be quite the understatement.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You're not kidding. How slack everything feels now, and 29" wheels. My Seeker feels like the old Downhill hardtails I rented as a kid.

Of course, 100 miles in I shortened my stem even more and went with wider bars. Surprising how quickly we move toward the modern trends once we're introduced to them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    You're not kidding. How slack everything feels now, and 29" wheels. My Seeker feels like the old Downhill hardtails I rented as a kid.

Of course, 100 miles in I shortened my stem even more and went with wider bars. Surprising how quickly we move toward the modern trends once we're introduced to them.
    I am sure it will be a nice adjustment. I haven't been on a 29er yet, so that's all new. Honestly, I didn't even know that was a thing until I started shopping.