mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trick to adjust X-7 RD on Goblin?

I put together the new bike last night. It took me a little while to get the front brake not to rub. Other than that, everything looked pretty good.

I am having some issues getting the RD dialed in, and admittedly, have very little experience with this as I guess I have been lucky in the past and not had to mess with it.

It shifts into and holds the highest and lowest gears without issue, but is constantly hunting for gears in the middle part of the sprocket. I don't have a bike stand, so I was trying to make a few fine adjustments after riding and shifting a few times, and fear I might have actually made it worse. Any suggestions?

I watched a few videos on You Tube, and did the High - Low adjustment thing, but like I said, it's still not right.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Trick to adjust X-7 RD on Goblin?

Sounds like it just needs an index adjustment (at the barrel adjuster).

Park tool has a great tutorial (on their website) on how to do all derailleur adjustments.

When you shift up the cassette (smaller to bigger cogs) does it hesitate? If so turn counter clockwise on barrel adjuster.

Start in the smallest cog and work your way up with minor (quarter turn) adjustments.

mtbr member
    Also, check to ensure the RD hanger is straight and not bent.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you both. Best I can tell, the hanger looks straight. I didn't even see the barrel adjuster, duh. I bet that's it. I should be able to mess with it later today and I'll let you know how it goes Thank you both.

Quick follow up question Jeremy. I still need to put my wife's Guardian together and will probably do that later tonight. If I have question about either bike (similar to the RD issue above), is it preferable to post them here on this forum, or to e-mail / call Airborne support? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    My Goblin was doing the same thing during the first few rides. Barrel adjuster fixed it right up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddblu View Post
    Thank you both. Best I can tell, the hanger looks straight. I didn't even see the barrel adjuster, duh. I bet that's it. I should be able to mess with it later today and I'll let you know how it goes Thank you both.

Quick follow up question Jeremy. I still need to put my wife's Guardian together and will probably do that later tonight. If I have question about either bike (similar to the RD issue above), is it preferable to post them here on this forum, or to e-mail / call Airborne support? Thanks again.
    If it's a generic "how do I adjust X" question, by all means ask here. There is a lot of good knowlege on the forum and folks are helpful.

If it's a "My x is broken and I need a replacement" question, then that should be directed right at us because only we have the solution to help!

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for the order and buying 2 bikes!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

Captain Climber
    I was having the same problem with a couple of gears on my bike. Pulled over and turned the barrel adjuster one click clockwise and it has shifted perfectly since.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Sounds like it just needs an index adjustment (at the barrel adjuster).

Park tool has a great tutorial (on their website) on how to do all derailleur adjustments.

When you shift up the cassette (smaller to bigger cogs) does it hesitate? If so turn counter clockwise on barrel adjuster.

Start in the smallest cog and work your way up with minor (quarter turn) adjustments.
    Totally fixed it! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    I was having the same problem with a couple of gears on my bike. Pulled over and turned the barrel adjuster one click clockwise and it has shifted perfectly since.
    Yup, that was it. I didn't even know where the barrel adjuster was until trevor b suggested it. Duh!

Time to assemble the Guardian now so we can take a nice Mother's Day ride together!